Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a second bike for commuting...

Options
  • 20-09-2008 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm looking to get a bike for just commuting, as I don't think I'd be happy leaving my primary bike (Trek 1.5 and a few extra bits) around town locked up late at night or for extended periods.

Basically what I'm looking for would be...

1) a racer-type with drop handle bars (personal preference for comfort)

2) cheap ideally - <200 - as its a second bike with a limited role (not worried at all about brand/appearance/number of gears/performance etc.)

3) possibly attachments for pannier bags.

4) It doesn't have to be super light either a nice steel frame would be fine too.

As for where to buy it - I'd buy in Dublin (secondhand/new) if I thought I could get it cheap or on-line would be fine too.

Anyone know any good websites or bike shops that might have something suitable?

Cheers,
    72oo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Fixie!

I think there was one for sale here recently, a lovely one for about 250 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Thanks Dirk, I was thinking about something like that, but can't find the link ( could anyone post it? ).

Also I see Blorg mentioned in another post that it doesn't have a rack, so I was wondering too if that means that there's no room for pannier bags to attached.

I've found this bike at €380 at chainreactioncycles but its over budget and TBH more quality than I need for commuting.

I've tried without much luck:

www.chainreactioncycles.com - €380 for BeOne 2.0
    www.wheelworxbikes.com
    www.evanscycles.com

Are there other websites selling budget bikes?

I thinking eBay now or dropping in to some LBS that might have something second hand hanging about.

Actually just found that cheap fixie that was posted by TinyExplosions!
    £225 => €284

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

just keep an eye out on adverts.ie, or gumtree.ie. Some reasonable ones come up on occasion or you could pick up a beater and restore it to some semblance of reliability.

Brain ain't workin' good, posted this in another thread a minute ago, sorry...

I found it, it was this link here.

The bike is for sale from Ollietrex. Very nice bike, dunno if its still for sale but I would PM him anyway. The only thing is I doubt a track frame has pannier mounts, but still.....fixie!

• Advertisement

^^^

Thanks but I think if I'm to spend the money for a commuting bike it'd really need attachment spots for pannier bags, also I don't know if a fixie would suit me.

TBH, there's no great rush about this... in about 6 weeks I'll have to start doing a long commute (~50km daily) until Christmas, currently I'm on a MTB that's slow and v heavy (but only doing ~16km daily).

I'll keep an eye out for something that might suit... (/or failing that look at cycling the MTB as an extra bit of workout!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The Bowery doesn't have attachment points for a rack but I'm considering other options myself- either a seatpost mount rack or I have heard of people having good results using P-Clips (these go around the frame and provide a mounting point.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

blorg wrote: »
    The Bowery doesn't have attachment points for a rack but I'm considering other options myself- either a seatpost mount rack or I have heard of people having good results using P-Clips (these go around the frame and provide a mounting point.)

Also, the carradice bags are a good option, seatpost mounted ones. Would like to get one, but they are a bit 'spensif

Considering a BeOne Briza 2007 at €405, (thinking that spending the extra money on a new bike will decrease running costs :rolleyes:).

As far as I can see it doesn't have attachment points for a rack near the back axle.
    So some P-clips should do the job?
    I'd also be attaching mudguards, could they go on the same p-clip?

many thanks in advance,
    72oo

EDIT: I'm 5"11.5' in height (33 inseem), is 56cm frame the correct size?

According to the website, the 56cm has been discontinued and wont be stocked again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have a steel hybrid frame with some old (but nice) road components on it - mostly 10 year old Ultegra. Drop handlebars, rack mounts, mudguard eyelets, ergostem, suspension seatpost.

The gears need fettling, but it's basically sound, straight and nicely plain looking (e.g. frame covered in silver reflective stickers) so unlikely to get nicked.

Haven't advertised it yet, as am waiting for my new bike to arrive this week.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll post pics; we should be able to find a price that "works".

eta: pics attached if anyone is interested

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    According to the website, the 56cm has been discontinued and wont be stocked again :(

Jezbus, I just completed my order a few minutes ago. Must have been the last one! :o
    Lumen wrote: »
    I have a steel hybrid frame......

Thank's Lumen, but I've just ordered the above. Your bike sounds nice though.

I'll post back up when I get it fully fitted out as I want for commuting. Sooooooooo looking forward to consigning the heavy, slow, awkward MTB to the shed!

72oo

Ha, fair enough, good catch! Hope you enjoy the new bike.

Well as it turns out I wasn't lucky enough to get the last 56cm!

Turns out there was a stocking error at CRC, which I was informed about today by email. Dang it :mad:!

I did the inside seem math (85cm*.67) and it works out that I'm ideally a 57cm frame so a 1cm swing down or a 2cm swing up were the options and given its a commuting bike I think I can live with a 59cm. Hopefully they'll get it out quick now.

Also on another note, I see that the bike doesn't come with pedals. Ideally I'd just want a simple pair with toe clips. How much such I expect to pay for these at the LBS? And are they easy enough to install (like standardised parts)?

72oo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Pedals are all standardised, yes and the simple type with toe straps generally install with a pedal wrench which is a thin 15mm spanner. Others install with a variety of allen key sizes in the axle. I have some basic Wellgo LU-948 pedals with clips and straps if you are interested- say €15? They are basically unused, I have I think around 10km on them to get the bike home, I prefer SPDs. I'll fit them for you if you bring the bike but if doing it yourself make sure to grease the threads with lithium grease- this is really essential if you ever want to get them back off again.

EDIT: Oh, and remember that the left pedal is reverse threaded, so to tighten, always twist towards the front of the bike. To loosen, always to the back.

blorg wrote: »
    Pedals are all standardised, yes and the simple type with toe straps generally install with a pedal wrench which is a thin 15mm spanner. Others install with a variety of allen key sizes in the axle. I have some basic Wellgo LU-948 pedals with clips and straps if you are interested- say €15? They are basically unused, I have I think around 10km on them to get the bike home, I prefer SPDs. I'll fit them for you if you bring the bike but if doing it yourself make sure to grease the threads with lithium grease- this is really essential if you ever want to get them back off again.

EDIT: Oh, and remember that the left pedal is reverse threaded, so to tighten, always twist towards the front of the bike. To loosen, always to the back.

PM sent. :)

Quick update:

I've sent a few emails back and forth with the sales/support team at chainreactioncycles.com and I have to say they are EXCELLENT, albeit that initially I was a little p'd off that their website was wrong about stock levels, but their service since then has been A+!!

If anyone is dealing with them Chris and James are brilliant.

72oo

Just getting some lights for the new bike today.

Bought a pair at Halfords for €27 at the blanch shopping centre.

They're a grand pair but the front light is just the standard type of bulb (with the kinda yellow'ish burn colour). So I looked in the manual/sheet that came with them and turns out you can get a Xenon light to fit instead of the standard bulb - happy days. Xenon = loads of light :D . (For those who don't know what Xenon is: they're the new type of headlights on the newer cars that look light a brillant white light, great if you're the driver, not so good for the rest - they get blinded). So they should definately get me noticed anyway :cool:.

Here's the problem, the reference code for the Xenon lights is HPX 23 (2.4V and 0.7A). I've tried Maplins to no avail.

Does anyone know where I could get HPX 23 bulb's around Dublin city centre?

Cheers,
    72oo

An update, my bike's taken a bit of detour....

So I ordered Wednesday.

Arrived in Dublin south city warehouse Friday morning (wrong side of the city, so hence delayed till Monday). Told to expect delivery Monday afternoon - I arrange to take work off so to be at home for delivery.

[RANT]:P

Come home Monday phone Fastway Couriers (I'm sure alot of boardies have had good dealings with them but I think they're stupid as sh^te) to confirm. Turns out they've shipped the bike back to CRC up north!!!

Bike has now to re-shipped down to me in Dublin!!!! BTW There was no attempt to deliver it to me nor phone me at any time for some reason someone thought it best to ship it back to CRC before even trying to call me. Its beyond stupidity.

[/RANT]:p

It'll probably be back with me Wednesday/Thursday, more time off work (hassle), and a total delivery time of 8 days.... a little off 24hrs quoted on website (not that I really needed it in 24hrs, a few days would have been fine)

72oo

72hundred wrote: »
    Bought a pair at Halfords for €27 at the blanch shopping centre.

They're a grand pair but the front light is just the standard type of bulb (with the kinda yellow'ish burn colour). So I looked in the manual/sheet that came with them and turns out you can get a Xenon light to fit instead of the standard bulb - happy days. Xenon = loads of light :D . (For those who don't know what Xenon is: they're the new type of headlights on the newer cars that look light a brillant white light, great if you're the driver, not so good for the rest - they get blinded). So they should definately get me noticed anyway

I think maybe you are confusing filament bulbs containing inert Xenon gas with proper HID lamps, which are bleedin expensive.

eta:

http://members.misty.com/don/xeincand.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    I think maybe you are confusing filament bulbs containing inert Xenon gas with proper HID lamps, which are bleedin expensive.

eta:

http://members.misty.com/don/xeincand.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp

Ah yes (I was confusing the two)! Anyway the new lights are bright, I'm set for night time.:D

For some reason I can't edit my post earlier in the thread, but...

I've sold the bike I mentioned above (have had a couple of PMs since about it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

72hundred wrote: »
    Quick update:

I've sent a few emails back and forth with the sales/support team at chainreactioncycles.com and I have to say they are EXCELLENT, albeit that initially I was a little p'd off that their website was wrong about stock levels, but their service since then has been A+!!

If anyone is dealing with them Chris and James are brilliant.

72oo

CRC are brilliant to deal with until they have your money. Once they do, they can be less than stellar.

TBH its the delivery service that's a fault here. I guess CRC could have done more to ensure that the bike was delivered but I'm happy with the emails/communication I've received from them.

The couriers are Fastway Couriers and as I've said before they're sh^te!

Anyway I'll post up some pic's when the bike gets here, which at this stage has to be before the weekend.

72oo

Advertisement