Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats been built on the cork road??

• 20-09-2008 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

not sure if it had been posted already but i was just wondering what is been built on the site where that car dealership was on the cork road next to eddie rockets??? it seems like its going to be a fairly large building...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

New Cinema I think, it was mentioned on here a little while ago.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dazftw wrote: »
    New Cinema I think, it was mentioned on here a little while ago.

With a big "To Lease" sign on it, I have my doubts. It doesn't even look like a cinema! Plus the plans for the cinema are out further by Waterford Crystal - I don't recall any plans for such (or any news reports) either..

The original rumour was that it was Argos Extra, but if it is - they are apparently locating in several spots in the city :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 paddy1mac

Lads, they are retail units - the one where Bolands garage was and the one behind McDonald's. They are both being developed by a Bolands sister company and built in packages by various contractors i.e. Michael Hoban is looking after the ground works, substructure works and siteworks, Miltown Eng. are doing the Steel and cladding and Thermoframe are doing the glazing.

They are both being left shell and core and can be adapted to the tenants needs.

I dont know how many have been taken but Argos were rumoured to have taken some space in the larger one.

The one behind Mc Donalds is being handed over in the next week or two and is still up for let as far as i know. The contact name for any one interested in taking one up is on the entrance to this unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

lol I remember reading cinema and cork road here awhile ago in the same sentence :confused:

oh well!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dazftw wrote: »
    lol I remember reading cinema and cork road here awhile ago in the same sentence :confused:

oh well!

You did but the poster was wrong. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Broadcastman

It is going to be a new ominplex i know staff that worked in patrick street its closed for good there opening on the old bolands site they appr tried to keep it very quite so there would be no objections from mr green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It is going to be a new ominplex i know staff that worked in patrick street its closed for good there opening on the old bolands site they appr tried to keep it very quite so there would be no objections from mr green.

And how exactly would they keep it quiet? Planning applications have to be made in writing to the local authority, and once that's done, they're a matter of public record.

The the new cinema is going out by Waterford Crystal - and as said already, you cant keep planning quiet. Plus, on the other side of the coin we have been told (and by the looks of the "To Lease" signs backing it up) that its retail units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

fricatus wrote: »
    And how exactly would they keep it quiet? Planning applications have to be made in writing to the local authority, and once that's done, they're a matter of public record.

Only structural changes must be lodged so if all they were doing was interior stuff then they wouldn't have to apply for permission. But it could still be objected against if someone thought that having it there would cause a lot of problems for the surrounding residents/area (Trafffic, noise etc)

ec18 wrote: »
    Only structural changes must be lodged so if all they were doing was interior stuff then they wouldn't have to apply for permission. But it could still be objected against if someone thought that having it there would cause a lot of problems for the surrounding residents/area (Trafffic, noise etc)

You do realise that one building was knocked with a new structure put in its place yes? And the other one is just a new building in general? Both would require planning permission. Therefore, it couldnt be done on the QT!

Also, if im not mistaken, if a building was changing use it requires planning permission also. muffler might know best on that! For example, a house changes to an Off License - requires planning permission. Not sure if it applies from different form of retail or not (ex the old cinema being turned into a clothes shop or something)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It was confirmed in the media a while ago that the cinema in question is indeed going in the Waterford Crystal place, as already mentioned.

Sully wrote: »
    You do realise that one building was knocked with a new structure put in its place yes? And the other one is just a new building in general? Both would require planning permission. Therefore, it couldnt be done on the QT!
    Yes but if the they were being built as retail/lease units and from the looks of the ones in the old Bolands garage it's 4 units. Then the cinema would only be leasing/buying a unit that is already built not building a new one that doesn't require planning permission!
    Also, if im not mistaken, if a building was changing use it requires planning permission also. muffler might know best on that! For example, a house changes to an Off License - requires planning permission. Not sure if it applies from different form of retail or not (ex the old cinema being turned into a clothes shop or something)
    That I don't know about. But a house moving to an off license is an extreme example but a retail/warehouse unit being turned into a cinema? I don't know about that

Yes but if the they were being built as retail/lease units and from the looks of the ones in the old Bolands garage it's 4 units. Then the cinema would only be leasing/buying a unit that is already built not building a new one that doesn't require planning permission!

A cinema would have to be purpose built I would imagine. I doubt they would go in and buy out a few retail units and slap a cinema in their :p Also, since its just a shell being built, all other changes will require planning permission.
    That I don't know about. But a house moving to an off license is an extreme example but a retail/warehouse unit being turned into a cinema? I don't know about that

I would imagine so - since sometimes the building of a cinema can be objected to because it might go against the traffic management plan etc. But hey, I could be entirely wrong or getting confused. Im basing all this on previous planning requests!

A cinema would have to be purpose built I would imagine. I doubt they would go in and buy out a few retail units and slap a cinema in their :p Also, since its just a shell being built, all other changes will require planning permission.

the interior of the cinema would have to custom built but not the outside. Look at the old cinema nothing purpose build about the exterior of that.

the interior of the cinema would have to custom built but not the outside. Look at the old cinema nothing purpose build about the exterior of that.

Fair point. Wheres muffler when you need him - he knows this type of thing!

Trust me - there is no cinema going in either of the units - the precast mezzanine floors are going into the larger unit in the next week or two and are already in on the smaller unit - jaysus i'll be blowing me cover soon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭eimearos

all i know is there all going to be different retail units. my dad is the contact if people want to lease these. not sure who is going in there

paddy1mac wrote: »
    Trust me - there is no cinema going in either of the units - the precast mezzanine floors are going into the larger unit in the next week or two and are already in on the smaller unit - jaysus i'll be blowing me cover soon!!

Your Paddy Boland, aren't you? I knew it!

Your Paddy Boland, aren't you? I knew it!

I wish - no i work for one of the contractors on the project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Planning permission for these units is for retail, if the cinema was going there, a CHANGE OF USE planning application would be needed and an application would have to be filed, planning is very specfic and for a cinema it would be a seperate planning as retail would not cover it...
    As planning is only for Retail they cannot be used for a cinema, as a cinema is not covered under retail use in the planning regs.

• Advertisement

robtri wrote: »
    Planning permission for these units is for retail, if the cinema was going there, a CHANGE OF USE planning application would be needed and an application would have to be filed, planning is very specfic and for a cinema it would be a seperate planning as retail would not cover it...
    As planning is only for Retail they cannot be used for a cinema, as a cinema is not covered under retail use in the planning regs.

Welcome back! Bit of a messy situation with your account eh? :P

Thanks for clarification, I thought it was something like that! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Welcome back! Bit of a messy situation with your account eh? :P

Thanks for clarification, I thought it was something like that! :)

Its good to be back......gets the boards fix...:D
    yeah a bit messy but CuLt did a super job sorting it out..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

anyone know where to get any plan or details of the steel structure for this building, i need them for a college project, i e-mailed that comapny a few times but havnt got any reply, anyone able to help me out! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭well butty

Jack,

Find out who the Structural Engineer was and ask them. The Architect was Oliver Dempsey, but he wont have that info for you.

anyone know where to get any plan or details of the steel structure for this building, i need them for a college project, i e-mailed that comapny a few times but havnt got any reply, anyone able to help me out! :confused:

I'm afraid you will have difficulty getting these drawings as they tend not to give them out due to copyright and confidentiality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭well butty

Paddy Mac. If the Engineer is aware this is for a college project they may assist him. Its not like he intends to construct a similar project in another location.

He could try but in my experience they dont

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

ah its sorted guys, i got another steel structure site and i got some drawings and all, just went in and asked them for some and they gave them straight to me adn let em take loadsa pictures. Thanks for the help though! :D

Advertisement