Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone broken 3 times

Options
  • 20-09-2008 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

ok so i bought a phone in february and it has been sent off for repair twice i got it back last week and now its doing the exact same thing again?am i entitled to a new phoine im getting sick of having to bring it in and just wondering after two repairs already am i entitled to a new phone at this stage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Is it an expensive phone, after 2 repairs I'm sure it would be better for the shop just to replace it.

Is it a mobile phone or ordinary phone

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

generally shops will insist on it going away 3 times before giving a new one. a crap policy i know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

sorry its a mobile phone.. whats more annoying is i used my upgrade on it.. i'll go in with it tomorrow and try get a new a new one im really p*ssed off at this stage..i know its not the shops fault but its really annoying..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

As Sam said, most mobile networks will insist on sending a phone away for repair thrice before considering replacing it.

If you make a polite fuss about it, they may be able to contact head office and do something after two repairs (they could the odd time when I was in the industry).

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

IMHO you are being too patient.

F**k the policy of the shop to repair three times. It is probably their policy because people let them get away with it.

This is a simple issue of contract.

You are entitled to a phone that does what it is supposed to. You are not getting that.

Tell them you want a new phone NOW or you will take them to the Small Claims Court with no further warning.

I accept that you have to be reasonable and try to have any teething problems resolved with a new article. However, 7 months is an utterly unreasonable period of time to be without the item for which you have paid. Yes , you have had the phone but not a reliable one that is of the standard that you are entitled to in law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you decide to send it back for the third time, make sure they know you want a new if the same fault occurs. Putting on paper would be best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Had the same issue recently. The phone went away three times for repair with an identical fault and they still refuse to replace it. F***king cowboys, the mobile phone industry are right up there with the Bankers in the "screw the punter" stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    generally shops will insist on it going away 3 times before giving a new one. a crap policy i know

Nothing to stop you challenging that policy in, say, the small claims court. Having a new item demonstrate the same fault 3 times and the retailer wanting to do the same repair again is not reasonable in my book. Maybe the SCC judge would agree. Maybe the shop would change their tune if you told them of your reasoning and intent to bring it to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Your statutory rights with a faulty product are that the first repair must be permanent. After that a refund or replacment must be issued. Places try to get away with this we'll repair it 3 times 'rule' but if you go onto the consumer connect website you'll get the info you need and can quote that when you're in contact with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cgarvey wrote: »
    Maybe the shop would change their tune if you told them of your reasoning and intent to bring it to court.
    the people in the shop have no authority to change their tune
    LolaDub wrote: »
    Your statutory rights with a faulty product are that the first repair must be permanent. After that a refund or replacment must be issued. Places try to get away with this we'll repair it 3 times 'rule' but if you go onto the consumer connect website you'll get the info you need and can quote that when you're in contact with them.
    again, there's no point bringing anything into the shop because they didn't make the policy and they have no authority to change it. If you want to mention the small claims court, call the head office and say it to someone who can actually do something about it.

i really hope people do that more often tbh. It's a crap policy and as long as the only people getting shouted at about it every day are the 18 year old part timers it's not going to change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    the people in the shop have no authority to change their tune
    That's usually the case all right. In those cases, you'd expect the matter to be escalated (store manager, regional manager). If it's not then no big deal, let the SCC sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

been that issue before myself friend,threathen legal action,i got threaten,basically i just told the owner to go f@#ck himself,the mobile phone companies make a massive turnover,they should least admit they buy crap merchandise sometimes,its a con like the phone insurance scheme,you might aswell recover the sim and buy a new phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 conorhoey08

been their b4 had a moblie very bad it broke and got repaired 3 times broke the 4th time and i jus gave up i bought myself a new moblie

Advertisement