Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mater Hospital Diabetes Eye Clinic-frustration

Options
  • 20-09-2008 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Yesterday something i didn't expect happened. i am completely overwhelmed by the situation so would like to ask for advice.
    I had a visit scheduled for eye clinic a year ago. I was supposed to have evyes screened and all that 16 Nov 2008. Yesterday i got a letter (the visit was scheduled 1 year ago) that they are sorry but it must be re-scheduled into 2 Nov 2009!!!
    I don't understand why is it so. Am I less in danger of retinopathy than other diabetes people.(??) How come they are changing the appointment that was arranged 1 year ago. (??)Every diabetic person should have their eyes checked at lest once a year! :((
    I am very worried because of what happened, especially because my eyes is my 'weak' point.
    Can anyone advise what to do(?) Should I complain to them? To anyone(?) Change the clinic(?) Go private?
    Has anyone like this happened to any of you?
    Thanks a lot for all comments!!
    Ula

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Go private. I pay 140 euro a pop but its so much quicker (ie I have it done once a year, as part of one of my general check up) - and the WRH is probably alot less hassel then somewhere like the Mater.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Im diabetic 8 years and never had my eyes checked.Ive asked james hospital and they said they could arrange it for me and id recieve a letter but still never recieved the letter:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Get back in touch with whoever you spoke to last time, or make a fresh appointment.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭PADDYPOKER

Day clinic in the Mater are a pain in the **** about changing times & dates.
    The reason I was told some years ago is they overbook the number of people to attend on a certain day, expecting cancellations etc in the future and there's also the problem with not having enough staff on that day.
    If you are worried ring them and ask for a cancellation time and they should fit you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If you have a valid Medical Card you can be seen free of charge in the National Optometry Clinic, Kevin Street. They run a brilliant service

• Advertisement
Advertisement