Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

passat 1999 tdi rattle noise...

Options
  • 20-09-2008 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

I have recently developed a rattle noise with my passat. Its a '99 tdi 1.9ltr.
    If you rev the car you wont here the rattle. It only happens at a certain point on each gear for example it happens when I hit 1500 revs then goes straight away once you hit about 1800 revs. Its strange cause it has no effect at all on how the car drives. Still running the exact same as far as I can tell but just makes this annoyin rattle. Its not mad loud you wouldnt notice it if you had the radio on for example but its there all the same.
    Anyway any ideas at all? If not I'll be getting it serviced in a months time anyway cause I've done nearly 10k miles in the last 9 months so i could get it looked at then well once the car doesnt blow up or something in the mean time.:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

emurphy wrote: »
    Its strange cause it has no effect at all on how the car drives. Still running the exact same as far as I can tell but just makes this annoyin rattle. Its not mad loud you wouldnt notice it if you had the radio on for example but its there all the same.

Well then, DRIVE HER ON:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭emurphy

Its strange cause it has no effect at all on how the car drives. Still running the exact same as far as I can tell but just makes this annoyin rattle. Its not mad loud you wouldnt notice it if you had the radio on for example but its there all the same.

Well then, DRIVE HER ON:D:D

yeah thats what I'm doing but I know the rattle shouldnt be there ya know so I'm just hopin that it doesnt develop into somethin else or suddenly break down for example on the way into work on the M50 some morning when its pissin rain :D That would be my sort of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Could be any number of things, first thing that I think of is a worn engine mount but that is only a best guess.

If it is bugging you that much then get the car looked at my a mechanic.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Could be any number of things, first thing that I think of is a worn engine mount but that is only a best guess.

If it is bugging you that much then get the car looked at my a mechanic.

yup will be bringin it to a mechanic soon right enough just wanted to see would anyone have an idea of what it might be

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Canis_major

check the mounting brackets on the exhaust, especially the middle one. sounds exactly like the same issue i had recently. resonated at idle and 1600rpm, (harmonics eh :D).

• Advertisement

check the mounting brackets on the exhaust, especially the middle one. sounds exactly like the same issue i had recently. resonated at idle and 1600rpm, (harmonics eh :D).

cheers will check that tomorrow morning. I was thinking it could be something to do with the exhaust alright but sure we'll see.

Thanks for the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Can you feel this rather than hear it? Does it happen the same on very gentle acceleration?

Can you feel this rather than hear it? Does it happen the same on very gentle acceleration?

no you dont feel it at all. Its just a tin sounding rattle. And its like it happens when the car is tryin to pull away so say for example if I go through the gears slowly I'll hear it less but if I get to say third and foot to the floor it'll rattle about the 1500 rev most definately as its trying to pull away. Now you can hear the turbo kick in and it does pull away fine but its as if the stress equals more rattle. Now that said it will do it when you go through the gears slowly as well but you notice more the other way. Its hard to explain in words. The more I do I'm probably makin less sense. I just hope it'll be ok for another few weeks before I get in for a service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Could be a heat shield on the exhaust?.............hope it is as it would be cheap and easy to fix.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

no you dont feel it at all. Its just a tin sounding rattle. And its like it happens when the car is tryin to pull away so say for example if I go through the gears slowly I'll hear it less but if I get to say third and foot to the floor it'll rattle about the 1500 rev most definately as its trying to pull away. Now you can hear the turbo kick in and it does pull away fine but its as if the stress equals more rattle. Now that said it will do it when you go through the gears slowly as well but you notice more the other way. Its hard to explain in words. The more I do I'm probably makin less sense. I just hope it'll be ok for another few weeks before I get in for a service.

Does the frequency of the noise increase when the engine revs increase?

If so the rattle is likely to be in the engine, the 1.9tdi is known for wearing the hydraulic tappets (some mechanics call them buckets). The noise will start off as a 'tick' and gets louder over time. I have heard one that sounded like steel being hit with a hammer however. It not too urgent if its not that loud. I would advise taking it to a mechanic for a proper opinion.

Its quite a big job to do as the t-belt has to come off, if you had to do the t-belt however that would be the best time to do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement