Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheeky speed cop with cam inside a bus shelter on Merrion Road.

Options
  • 20-09-2008 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I came across a cheeky cop with a hand held speed gun inside a bus shelter south bound close to the British embassy on the Merrion road. I was on a motorbike in the bus lane. I thought this was rather cheeky as one wouldn’t have noticed him until you got right up to the shelter.

However this guy was sound because he didn’t do me for riding a motorbike in the bus lane. :)

I would have suspected that the Gardai would have to seek permission from Dublin Bus to use their shelters for carrying out these duties as these would be technically considered a premises.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

They are there for ur own safety, not to make money.

I was going to arklow not so long ago and they had set up in the central reservation between the duel carrage way so they could zap both directions.

I dont understand that if they want to deter speeders then why dont they make them selves nice and visable. Instead they let speeders blast by and tell them off 2 months later lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

bikki wrote: »
    They are there for ur own safety, not to make money.
    I agree 100%. I prefere to see a human being catching speeders rather than some automated ANPR cam spitting out summonses. I just thought the location of this guy was a cheeky.

Dont get me wrong, im all for speed cameras just wish they would make them as a visual deterrent and put them in practical locations where they will make a difference and not being used to make profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dublin Bus don't own the shelters, for a starter...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

MYOB wrote: »
    Dublin Bus don't own the shelters, for a starter...

Who owns Dublin Bus shelters???? Dublin Bus apply for planning permission to erect them

• Advertisement

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Who owns Dublin Bus shelters???? Dublin Bus apply for planning permission to erect them

Adshel do.

My post was a response to RTDH suggesting they'd need to ask Dublin Bus for permission, forgot to quote that bit so it looks rather out of context.

Adshel do.

My post was a response to RTDH suggesting they'd need to ask Dublin Bus for permission, forgot to quote that bit so it looks rather out of context.
    Off topic a bit, im surprised there is not a no smoking ban in them, anyone been in Scotland recently? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

There for our own safety and not to make money?

lol..how naive can you get.

ClioV6 wrote: »
    There for our own safety and not to make money?

lol..how naive can you get.

Very...

Which is gonna stop u speeding more a big noticeable deterrent/being pulled there and then or getting 2 points 2/3 months later? Or let me guess u never speed.

Id rather c cameras set up coming into villages/towns/schools/crap irish black spot roads then nabbing people on duel carriage ways doing 10/20 kph over the speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

what makes me puke is these traffic motor bike cops in their skin tight leather apparel will not do the biker but heaven forbid we put a mm of a tyre into that bus lane we are gonners. They probably do the bikers in other ways but thats just speculation to the extreme........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Meh, bikes don't cause congestion and don't slow anybody down in the bus lane. Common sense applied here. If you drive a bike safetly down a bus lane you'd be very unlucky to be pulled. And they just love it when you wear hi-vis gear.
    But if you drive a moped like a fool in the buslane and are wearing a skanger tracksuit and no gloves, you definitly will be pulled.
    Yes, some rules are enforced and some aren't.
    Much like taxi drivers aren't supposed to use this bus lane unless they have a fare or on their way to collect a fare. I've never heard of a taxi driver fined for abusing this.

I suppose that makes you puke also, it's the same offense; driving in the bus lane where you aren't supposed to.

Besides, everyone knows a car driver can use a bus lane for hundreds of metres as long as they put on their left indicator for the left turn that is way, way up the road ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

I came across a cheeky cop with a hand held speed gun inside a bus shelter south bound close to the British embassy on the Merrion road. I was on a motorbike in the bus lane. I thought this was rather cheeky as one wouldn’t have noticed him until you got right up to the shelter.

However this guy was sound because he didn’t do me for riding a motorbike in the bus lane. :)

I would have suspected that the Gardai would have to seek permission from Dublin Bus to use their shelters for carrying out these duties as these would be technically considered a premises.

A cheeky cop?

Was it one of the usual leather clad moustachioed motor cycle cops holding his tool behind the shelter?

Once again you get very little so called "speeding" along this area

It is about time these time wasting public servants took instruction from the public who pay their wages as to where to site their joke "speed" traps.

There are numerous incidents of dangerous driving that the Gardai should be enforcing the law against especially at the junction past where this chappy was exposing the Gardai to public ridicule.

It's all too easy to supposed to be enforing the law whilst doing bugger all for road safety.

By the way as a motorist I fully support open access to bus lanes by motor cyclists as well as all general traffic.

Very...

Which is gonna stop u speeding more a big noticeable deterrent/being pulled there and then or getting 2 points 2/3 months later? Or let me guess u never speed.

Id rather c cameras set up coming into villages/towns/schools/crap irish black spot roads then nabbing people on duel carriage ways doing 10/20 kph over the speed limit.

What are you on about?

I speed regularly. I adovcate it in most cases.
    I'm just saying that if you think that most speed 'traps' (called that for a reason) are there to promote safety then you're being very naive,

lol think we got our wires crossed. I was being sarcastic in my first post. Then thought u where saying i was being naive saying they wherent for making money.

Off topic a bit, im surprised there is not a no smoking ban in them, anyone been in Scotland recently? :eek:

They generally only have three sides (back/one side/roof) meaning they're not classed as enclosed structures. The one outside my estate only has two (one wall / roof).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

The issue being missed here is that the Gardai are detecting people who think it's OK to break the law when they think they won't be caught. I would like to personally thank those Gardai for their work in protecting my safety and that of my family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Maybe they'll clamp down on cyclists turning left on a red light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

BostonB wrote: »
    Maybe they'll clamp down on cyclists turning left on a red light.
    Or motorists failing to stop on amber?
    You know where this discussion will lead...let's not go there.

Other than concealing the speed cameras, I can't think of any other way of detecting people who break the law thinking that there's non-one looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

So lets enforce the letter of the law for one group, and not another. Regardless that has little serious impact on road safety.

lol think we got our wires crossed. I was being sarcastic in my first post. Then thought u where saying i was being naive saying they wherent for making money.

lol..sorry about that!

Sarcasm is hard to pick up without the use of the smilies :p

The issue being missed here is that the Gardai are detecting people who think it's OK to break the law when they think they won't be caught. I would like to personally thank those Gardai for their work in protecting my safety and that of my family.

Yeah, I guess when someone goes 10kph over the speed limit they've really increased the risk of this driver killing your family in a crash. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Saw something similar a while ago. There was a cop on his own with a speed gun standing in front of the bus shelter where the advertisement is.

However, this was late at night in middle of winter, so obviously it was quite dark. The advertisement on the side of the bus shelter was a luminous yellow, which coincidentially was a perfect match for the Garda's hi-vis jacket. This was the sort of camoflauge job that you'd more likely see from the SAS, and was actually very hard to spot. Lucky, nobody crashed into the 'bus shelter' that night :pac:

They generally only have three sides (back/one side/roof) meaning they're not classed as enclosed structures. The one outside my estate only has two (one wall / roof).
    Makes no difference in Scotland even if it has no roof, once its any location used by the public for getting a bus. Smoking is also banned on all open railway platforms.

Makes no difference in Scotland even if it has no roof, once its any location used by the public for getting a bus. Smoking is also banned on all open railway platforms.

And this isn't Scotland ;)

And this isn't Scotland ;)
    I was referring to the previous post where I mentioned that I was surprised they didn't ban smoking at bus shelters as they do in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess when someone goes 10kph over the speed limit they've really increased the risk of this driver killing your family in a crash. :rolleyes:

i wouldnt take much notice of him TBH, he goes on like a broken record and about this subject only also :rolleyes:

i would suggest that he should actually go and thank these Gardai in person at the local barracks. if it buys us some time from his constant drivel about speed limits, it would be worth it for us all :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

As is constantly stated and quickly ignored by the usual crowd, a Garda standing in an area in itself reduces speeding which has a knock on effect of reducing crashes and accidents in that area. They then move to other areas that have seen a number of crashes and voila, that area becomes safe.

Basically what Im saying is that they are standing in no crash zones to make them no crash zones and keep it that way. There wont be accidents where the Gardai are standing because people generally dont speed in front of Gardai.

Likewise, areas that are known for having speed checks tends to lead to drivers slowing down on the basis that there mat be a speed check.

And before the same tired old angry rant is made, Gardai dont do checkpoints on twisting roads, in the dead of night when its raning because that would more than likely cause more accidents than it prevents and is dangerous for the Gardai and road users.

I also cannot believe people still try to make out its about money when its been pointed out numerous times that your 80 euro fine wont cover the wages of the Garda, the cost of the car and speed gun, the clerical staff and costs involved in processing your ticket and payment or cover even less, the cost involved in taking you to court. The fine would need to be about 500 for the process to break even.

And can someone please explain how a Garda in a yellow jacket standing on a straight road at least 100 metres from a clearly visible sign can be a 'trap'?

And yes, 10 miles an hour can make a significent difference between life and death. stopping distance and force of impact is greatly reduced or increased with every single mile per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Likewise, areas that are known for having speed checks tends to lead to drivers slowing down on the basis that there mat be a speed check.

I've noticed this on the M50 North bound after the tallaght bypass exit where people used to slow fly by and slam on the brakes until clear of the gatso where they continue being idiots 'in a rush'
    And can someone please explain how a Garda in a yellow jacket standing on a straight road at least 100 metres from a clearly visible sign can be a 'trap'?

the term trap is supposed to mean that you're bein caught speeding hence trap. The other poster just interpreted it wrong me thinks
    And yes, 10 miles an hour can make a significent difference between life and death. stopping distance and force of impact is greatly reduced or increased with every single mile per hour.

This is true. and i've had this proven in real life situations before where meters matters. The limits are there for a reason people. The garda prevent accidents this way. I'd much rather see them on suburban roads more than dual carriageways though. I've often been curious enough to speed match other cars up to 90km/h in a 50 zone! now how would a child survive that?

If your son/daughter got hit by a speeding car would you be happy knowing
    if the car was going at proper speed it would've stopped safely in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

I also cannot believe people still try to make out its about money when its been pointed out numerous times that your 80 euro fine wont cover the wages of the Garda, the cost of the car and speed gun, the clerical staff and costs involved in processing your ticket and payment or cover even less, the cost involved in taking you to court. The fine would need to be about 500 for the process to break even.

hence the need for mass production :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Bee wrote: »
    Once again you get very little so called "speeding" along this area

Did you not think the reason why there is little or no speeding on this road is because speed checks are regularly done here?
    It is about time these time wasting public servants took instruction from the public who pay their wages as to where to site their joke "speed" traps.

What?? That is a completely laughable idea. Speed checks are done where they are needed subject to safety of the road users and the garda conducting it. If you ever become a Garda and set up a speed check you will know what I mean.
    There are numerous incidents of dangerous driving that the Gardai should be enforcing the law against especially at the junction past where this chappy was exposing the Gardai to public ridicule.

The Gardai do prosecute many people for dangerous driving each year but this is only the driving that the Gardai see themselves. It is also good to note that many of the people who report dangerous driving scream and shout about it but are unwilling to make a statement and go to court.
    It's all too easy to supposed to be enforing the law whilst doing bugger all for road safety.

This statement is so untrue. In my district in the last year and a half alone we have had two fatalities, one was a cyclist who cycled into a parked truck during a cycle race and the other was a man who had a heart attack. Neither one could have been prevented by the Gardai but with the numerous speed checks that are done I reckon it has impacted on road safety.

• Advertisement

congo_90 wrote: »
    I've noticed this on the M50 North bound after the tallaght bypass exit where people used to slow fly by and slam on the brakes until clear of the gatso where they continue being idiots 'in a rush'

And the more serious idiots who still do this because of the lines on the road and no GATSO :p

Advertisement