Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheeky speed cop with cam inside a bus shelter on Merrion Road.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I came across a cheeky cop with a hand held speed gun inside a bus shelter south bound close to the British embassy on the Merrion road. I was on a motorbike in the bus lane. I thought this was rather cheeky as one wouldn’t have noticed him until you got right up to the shelter.

However this guy was sound because he didn’t do me for riding a motorbike in the bus lane. :)

I would have suspected that the Gardai would have to seek permission from Dublin Bus to use their shelters for carrying out these duties as these would be technically considered a premises.

Its the speeders who are the cheeky ones! HAHAHAH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess when someone goes 10kph over the speed limit they've really increased the risk of this driver killing your family in a crash. :rolleyes:
    The faster the speed, the more the damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

The faster the speed, the more the damage.

the faster the speed does not equal the increased liklihood of crashing, it's all about the situation.

doing 60kph on the motorway will increase your chances of crashing.

stop looking at rsa adverts and thinking they're gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Basically what Im saying is that they are standing in no crash zones to make them no crash zones and keep it that way. There wont be accidents where the Gardai are standing because people generally dont speed in front of Gardai.

That is complete rubbish. The Gardai in many cases are not visible (hiding behind bus shelter, in bushes, etc) so the driver may not know they have been caught until they receive the fine in the post (up to six months later). So all these dangerous drivers the Gardaí are supposedly concerned about slowing down will continue to speed for a further six months. How is that improving the safety rate in the zone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't have a problem with speed checks I wish they'd do more if them. Its more where they do them. We have people doing x2 times the speed limit in local estates, using them as rat runs and delivering Pizza's etc. People racing through town breaking lights, doing illegal turns, using bus lanes on a daily basis at certain junctions. But where do we have the cops? On big wide roads where theres hardly any accidents where the speed limits are too low and catching a ton of people hardly over the limit. I'd say I see fewer than 10 speed traps a year, almost always in inexplicable locations.

If you going to have punishments that are too light, and too infrequent, and then seen to be poorly used. People aren't going to take it seriously. Thats exactly whats happening.

I cycle a bit and have as many if not more problems with dangerous cyclists than I do motorists. Near misses as they break read lights and weaving up on way streets. Hardly any enforcement there either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I believe that particularly stretch on the Merrion road was reduced to 30mph a number of years ago.

TheNog wrote: »
    but with the numerous speed checks that are done I reckon it has impacted on road safety.

Why do you have to reckon, why don't you know? Why are there not definitive figures released on this? Why do the Gardaí not publish fatality and accident rates BEFORE and AFTER the installation of a speed camera? Are they hiding something? Maybe there no real improvement at the location of most of these cameras? If the Gardaí want to convience the public that speed cameras improve road safety they need to show us these figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

That is complete rubbish. The Gardai in many cases are not visible (hiding behind bus shelter, in bushes, etc) so the driver may not know they have been caught until they receive the fine in the post (up to six months later). So all these dangerous drivers the Gardaí are supposedly concerned about slowing down will continue to speed for a further six months. How is that improving the safety rate in the zone?

Its not rubbish cos Karlito is talking about a Garda standing on the roadside with a radar gun and speeders are stopped there and then whereas you are talking about getting a speeding notification in the post from a Gatso or fixed camera.

Its not rubbish cos Karlito is talking about a Garda standing on the roadside with a radar gun and speeders are stopped there and then whereas you are talking about getting a speeding notification in the post from a Gatso or fixed camera.

Substitute the fixed gatso for a regular mobile trap location then. It's the same thing. If they are going to tell us these traps are improving road safety then prove it with stats.

Why do you have to reckon, why don't you know?

You have taken my post out of context by not including the point where I said there has been no fatalities in my district which could have been prevented by Gardai.
    Why are there not definitive figures released on this? Why do the Gardaí not publish fatality and accident rates BEFORE and AFTER the installation of a speed camera? Are they hiding something? Maybe there no real improvement at the location of most of these cameras? If the Gardaí want to convience the public that speed cameras improve road safety they need to show us these figures.

I agree that there should be figures available for back spots where there is now a fixed camera but for other areas where there was no serious accidents, how can figures be provided. Speed checks on most roads are preventative measures only

• Advertisement

You have taken my post out of context by not including the point where I said there has been no fatalities in my district which could have been prevented by Gardai.
    Sorry, it was not a personal attack, I was trying to make the point that nobody really knows if these cameras and mobile speed checks improve safety. You say there were no fatalities but how do you know this was linked to speed checks?
    I agree that there should be figures available for back spots where there is now a fixed camera but for other areas where there was no serious accidents, how can figures be provided. Speed checks on most roads are preventative measures only
    Again, there is no proof they are preventing accidents. They are about to spend €25m per year on a roll out of more speed cameras yet they don't provide us with any proof they work.

Sorry, it was not a personal attack, I was trying to make the point that nobody really knows if these cameras and mobile speed checks improve safety. You say there were no fatalities but how do you know this was linked to speed checks?

Again, there is no proof they are preventing accidents. They are about to spend €25m per year on a roll out of more speed cameras yet they don't provide us with any proof they work.

Well I can't say for sure that speed checks have reduced fatalities in my district by its own but you must agree that it does to some extent.

Speed checks are just one small part of the whole process though. If you look at the RSA adverts on TV they talk about speed, drink driving and driver behaviour but in my opinion they should also include information for people to report such incidents of bad driving and what would be needed from them for a prosecution. It cannot continue that the majority of dangerous driving convictions that are successfully prosecute is the driving that gardai see themselves. The Gardai cannot be everywhere and see everything but the public do. More people need to take that step forward make that complaint and go to court. Only with speed checks, drink driving, checkpoints, behaviour modification and with public assistance can a real difference be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Back OT
    you can only smoke in a structure that has 3 walls max and no roof or a roof and no walls

Advertisement