Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this be possible?

Options
  • 20-09-2008 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Im in my first year in college but I was wondering if I wanted to could I study the leaving cert physics course and maths course and do the exams this or next year or anything other time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah it's entirely possible, but you might find it a bit much with college at the same time. Also with physics you need a teacher to sign off on your experiments if the department comes a-knocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Pete29

Do you know where I could find a list and details of the experiments on the leaving cert course? I looked on skoool.ie but cant seem to find it. Thanks!

try looking on www.examinations.ie for the physics experiements. Also any physics book will go through them in detail.

Cool, thanks. Im sorry I should've posted this originally but would you have any advice on how to go about doing this? Or any general advice. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Go and have a word with your teacher in your old school.

• Advertisement

Pete29 wrote: »
    Cool, thanks. Im sorry I should've posted this originally but would you have any advice on how to go about doing this? Or any general advice. Thanks again.

What level in maths are you going for? If you did pass before and now want to try honours it might be a bit tricky to teach yourself. If you did honours and want a higher grade I guess just do exam questions over and over so you get the hang of different methods and different types of questions.

As for physics....haven't a clue I'm afraid! I don't do physics so I'm not really sure how easy it would be to teach yourself...there are plenty of people on this forum who do though so they might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Pete29 wrote: »

Physics is pretty tricky as it is. I like it a lot, along with maths, and even having a good teacher and being good at maths still makes it tough. Doing it on your own would be hard, but do-able I would imagine if you you have a flair for maths and are very willing to learn off all the formulae and definititions and experiments for physics.

Piste wrote: »
    What level in maths are you going for? If you did pass before and now want to try honours it might be a bit tricky to teach yourself. If you did honours and want a higher grade I guess just do exam questions over and over so you get the hang of different methods and different types of questions.

I was doing honours maths originally but dropped down because of the work load. I got a B1 in ordinary level but was kinda dissapointed because I think i messed up parts of paper one. Im pretty sure I got an A in paper two though.

I know it might be difficult but i was thinking of maybe teaching my self the physics course and getting a grind for Maths at the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Priscilla Duck

A cheaper option might be an evening course in one of the VECs or PLC colleges - they often offer single subjects for people who are doing a FETAC course to get into college but need a particular LC subject for the entry requirements. Ring around your local colleges to find out.

Advertisement