Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness can take a hike

Options
  • 20-09-2008 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Was just in my local dunnes earlier was gonna buy a 6pack of guinness which usually costs 1.92 a can went in today and they were 2.08 a can thats 16 cent in one day, looked next to them and saw beamish for 1.68 a can and said ill try some of that 40c a can cheaper, enjoying them now , i think ill buy them in future so guinness can go take a run and jump for all i care cause im not gonna pay more than 1.92 a can for them, with a recession coming im tightening my belt, do they really think they can charge what they like to consumers, doesnt work that way espically when a the next market leader is 40c cheaper a can.
    anyway thats my rant im no longer gonna buy cans of guinness.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

It might have been the shop putting the price up, not Diageo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheDude2008

no karl i asked the guy at the checkout he said that it was diego but im sure the shop maybe has 3 cent of it but most of it is diego.
    we had a good laugh about it and he told me they are selling a lot of beamish lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the more that take you point of view the sooner the price might come down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

no karl i asked the guy at the checkout he said that it was diego but im sure the shop maybe has 3 cent of it but most of it is diego.
    we had a good laugh about it and he told me they are selling a lot of beamish lately.
    Ah, fair enough then.
    Well, I read in the paper today that Guinness is launching a new advertising campaign in the British market, maybe related?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Why is it diagios cans always are so expensive? Same with carlsberg, last time I baught a 6 pack of that it was 1.92 or something per can, quite expensive imo

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheDude2008

And i actually think the reason that beamish is 1.68 is because they want a foothold in the market and also because lidle the german supermarket has it for 1.68 so the other supermarkets compete with them, the same can be said for pepsi the soft drink which until lidle introduced had been 2 euro same as coka cola now every major supermarket has it as 1.58 same as lidle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

lidle

lidl

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

yoyo wrote: »
    Why is it diagios cans always are so expensive? Same with carlsberg
    Partly because their marketing expenses are huge: that's your beer money that paid for John Giles to go swanning about in Barcelona. But mainly because they can: people are still prepared to pay it because they fear brands that they aren't reminded of on TV and billboards every three seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yeh, Diageo getting greedy.

OP, Beamish actually tastes much better in the can than an equivalent can of Guinness so good choice there.

And Dunnes do a 4 pack of Beamish for €6.49, its been that price for at least 2 years now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

At a store in the US the cheap brand (PBR) is $1 per can, you can get Bud Light, etc. for $2/can, and Guinness for $4/can. I realise that's about the same price back in Ireland, but PBR and Bud are the same price at a bar, and Guinness is at least $6.50 at the same bar.

There are obviously a lot of people that go for the $1, $2, or $3 beers, but there are still plenty of people that pay the price for their Guinness. It probably works out for Guinness's profit to be the same as selling for cheap in a higher quantity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cans of Bass a euro a pop in Dunnes.

Get on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

gurramok

OP, Beamish actually tastes much better in the can than an equivalent can of Guinness so good choice there.

People seem to have difficulty telling them apart in a blind test. Which seems to say paying 30 cent extra a can is a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I just heard a snippet of Joe Duffy; it seems some Cork publicans have started an unofficial boycott of Diageo (and possibly Heineken) after a second price increase this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gurramok wrote: »
    And Dunnes do a 4 pack of Beamish for €6.49, its been that price for at least 2 years now!
    It is still quite expensive, considering the huge array of beers at €1 a can, many of which have around the same marketing as Beamish, i.e. not a lot!. And many of the €1 beers are imported so would have high fuel costs associated with them these days.

I am very surprised there is not a cheaper stout out there for the home market. I know very few who drink guinness at home, and price is a strong reason, esp. when guinness is one of the cheaper drinks in the pub.
    it seems some Cork publicans have started an unofficial boycott of Diageo
    Seems a good idea, they could just increase the same amount as Diageo, AFAIK there are no fixed prices, so they could just charge €6 per pint for diageo products, when a customer complains they could claim it is diageo putting it up, and steer them towards the other drinks. A drinker will usually have the same amount of pints no matter what brand (% being the same), so if a publican wants a fixed € profit per pint, rather than a fixed % then it is in their interest to be stocking the cheapest stuff possible, i.e. not holding high values of stock. I am surprised more pubs did not get in bavaria or cheap fosters.

rubadub wrote: »
    many of which have around the same marketing as Beamish, i.e. not a lot!.
    Beamish do billboards, and are sponsors of the Cork Folk Festival. They're also paying Irish wages, which the imports (obviously) aren't.
    I am very surprised there is not a cheaper stout out there for the home market. I know very few who drink guinness at home, and price is a strong reason, esp. when guinness is one of the cheaper drinks in the pub.
    The big three breweries have the stout market sewn up to the extent that there's little point. My approach to stout drinking at home is to go for value rather than cheapness: a few cents more for a bottle of O'Hara's is well worth it, compared to any of the canned stouts.
    Seems a good idea, they could just increase the same amount as Diageo, AFAIK there are no fixed prices, so they could just charge €6 per pint for diageo products
    As long as they are prepared to do without Diageo products forever. Mess them around and Diageo, like any sensible despot, will simply pull the plug on them and see how well they do without them. If the publicans can prove to the arrogant feckers in James's Gate that the Irish licensing trade does not need Guinness to survive, then fair play and mine's a pint of Murphy's (or Rebel Red if you have it).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Best of luck to them. But I suspect the cave-in won't get quite so much coverage (may it never happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Good for the publicans Youghal making in standing up for what the believe in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Yeah, you'll no longer be able drink Snirnoff, Guinness or Carlsberg in Youghal.

I wholeheartedly endorse it.

Or more accurately, from that article, you'll no longer be able to drink Carlsberg, Smirnoff won't be prominently displayed, and no mention of a Guinness boycott. But I too still wholeheartedly endorse it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

BeerNut wrote: »
    The big three breweries have the stout market sewn up to the extent that there's little point. My approach to stout drinking at home is to go for value rather than cheapness: a few cents more for a bottle of O'Hara's is well worth it, compared to any of the canned stouts.

Interestingly, I (very recently) switched my home consumption from Arthurs finest to Beamish. While I did so because of the variability of the former I am certainly glad of price differential when it comes to the weekly shop. I would if I didnt Beamish just as drinkable as guinness. O'Haras is definately the domestic stout of choice when the pennies are not being counted although I have seen Fullers stout in a few places. It good to see consumers being more discerning about their choice of stout. Life after guinness? Its certainly not as unimaginable as you would think!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Beamobhoy

Hi lads, thought I would just type in with my thoughts from England. I am a big Beamish fan but cannot get it across here, I have to rely on a twice a year delivery from someone who drives across and back. Would love to buy it here and would not hesitate to pay the 1.68 euro per can even though Murphys is £2.63 per 4 pack and Guinness is always around the £3.50-£4.00 per 4 pack. I think you guys are lucky to have the choice of Beamish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Beamish cans are far nicer than Guinness. I have converted many a Guinness drinker to Beamish!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Quint wrote: »
    Beamish cans are far nicer than Guinness. I have converted many a Guinness drinker to Beamish!

+1

at home i drink beamish.
    in the pub it is guinness.....i would drink beamish in the pub only for it not available around kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

I havent heard even a whim of any bar dropping any diegio of heinken products!
    It just wouldnt work,in the south, heinken is the biggest beer and guinness is the biggest stout!
    The customers will simple go elsewhere.

And how cheap is a can of murphys these days,used to be pretty tasty and is the number 2 stout by the way even though it doesnt have any sort of a foothold in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

noby wrote: »
    I just heard a snippet of Joe Duffy; it seems some Cork publicans have started an unofficial boycott of Diageo (and possibly Heineken) after a second price increase this year.
    if the publicans boycott diageo and heinekenthey will be without draught beer as B & C is now owned by Heineken.

eyebrows63 wrote: »
    if the publicans boycott diageo and heinekenthey will be without draught beer as B & C is now owned by Heineken.
    Franciscan Well, Galway Hooker, Messrs Maguire and Carlow Brewing all supply pubs with draught beer. By not dealing with Diageo and Heineken the pubs only risk being without crap beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

point taken,but these brands are not available in these parts(munster).its just guinness, heineken ,b&c ,bavaria (Glessons) ,and northeastbeers

eyebrows63 wrote: »
    point taken,but these brands are not available in these parts(munster)
    I bet they would be if the pubs were interested in them, and I bet the pubs would be interested in them if drinkers demanded them.

The fact that one pub in Killaloe, Co. Clare carries a permanent supply of draught beers from the Irish microbreweries shows that there's no reason to believe that the industrial brewers are the only possible suppliers, even in rural Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

I was just wondering why we haven't heard much from Murphy's drinkers? I know the price differential isn't the same as in Beamish vs Guinness, but as a person who doesn't drink murphy's from a can. Back in my student days I made a drunken pledge to a corkonian friend to only drink Murphy's draft, and only in Cork. (I think there were other stipulations such as a red moon rising after the vernal equinox in orion, cant remember the rest).

Advertisement