Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness can take a hike

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I had my first can of Beamish last night, and it was lovely, far superior to draught Guinness from a can. A pint of bottle of extra stout will always be my first preference, but I can see myself picking up more Beamish whenever I pop into Aldi.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Try some Köstritzer if you see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote: »
    Try some Köstritzer if you see it.

The communist east Germany supposably used to sell that into England as a stout :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 loyko_irl

Köstritzer is owned now by Bitburger, probably the biggest brewery in Germany. I had a pint of it in a pub here in Germany at the weekend and could only be described as piss. For German dark beer you'd be better with an altbier like Diebels.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

loyko_irl wrote: »
    For German dark beer you'd be better with an altbier like Diebels.
    Not if you're after something at the stout end of the spectrum, I'd have thought

We don't get Diebels here, as far as I'm aware. I've seen Frankenheim Alt once or twice. Porterhouse Alt is pretty good, but if you're a stout drinker going to the Porterhouse, Wrassler's is the one to order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

loyko_irl wrote: »
    For German dark beer you'd be better with an altbier like Diebels.

They are two different beers, one been and alt and ale (ish) and the other been a Schwarzbier lager. I have had a few nice pints of it around one especially in Belfast

Advertisement