Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chopin's minute waltz

Options
  • 20-09-2008 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

can someone tell me what standard this piece is? i'm doing grade 6 in a few weeks but at the piano for 12 years, would it be too difficult to have this done by easter before the music practicals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I've never played it, but I'd say it might be a bit too tricky. Are you doing junior or leaving cert?

Either way, given the importance of the exam, you'd probably be better off going with pieces you already know (if you won't be too bored continuing them).

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

It's not *that* hard to play, but it's not that great a piece to play for an exam really. It's about grade 7 standard, so you'd probably manage it. But as Hatter says, better do pieces you know well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

I used to play it a lot at one stage and I found it easy enough to learn. However, it is a fast piece and needs a fair amount of practise. You may not have the time for this if you are doing other studies. I would go along with the advice given here and choose pieces you already know, provided that they are up to the standard required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Sorry for the slight hijack, but anyone know of a good index of repertoire difficulty? Is there a single index of pieces that have come up over the years at the various grades. According to RIAM or anywhere else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Sandwich—Afraid not! Best advice is ask a piano teacher based on specific examples, but even some teachers will disagree (a colleague of mine reckoned a certain Bach piece was about Grade 5, until I informed him the other day it had been on the ABRSM Grade 8 in previous years!).

The RIAM is a useless guide anyway. A 1981 Grade 1 piece was on the 2005 Grade 3, to give you an example of how their standards have dropped. Even a 2002ish Grade 3 piece is on the 2009 Grade 4. And yet the 2003-2008 Grades 8 syllabus is a million miles easier than the 2009-2011 Grade 7. So don't trust them for grade standards. ABRSM and Trinity College London are more reliable...if only somewhat!

Grade standards are always relative anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Mmmm, my teacher didn't want me learning Debussy's Sunken Cathedral as it was "only grade 5", but it's on ABRSM's Diploma Rep...... :confused:

To the OP, Just add it on to whatever else you're learning. A bit of extra work maybe, but you want to learn it, which is a huge advantage. See how it progresses. I found that when I was doing grades anything I was learning 'on the side' progressed faster (and they were usually more difficult).

As an aside....Grades suck... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Funky Penguin ....Sunken cathedral is definitely diploma standard (played it in college for performance exam) If I could get a grade 5 student to play the 1st 2 bars I'd be delighted....

Sandwich. ... check out www.pianostreet.com forum ...loads of posters have compiled difficulty lists ... the best measure to go by is the ABRSM as it's used worldwide....

tototo ... I'd say go for minute waltz if you have the time and dedication, it's a great show off party piece for your repertoire too.Remember though if it's for the L.CErt it's better to play a good gr5 well than a sloppy gr7.

You may need some advice on pedalling (less is more with this piece) ....
    I would recommend learn the left hand first (in slow motion). To get those 1st beat LH jumps with the little finger make it harder by shifting them down an octave so when you bring it back to normal it'll be soooo easy to move to the second beats.
    When you got all the LH nailed so there's no stress and tension go with the right hand. Again, as slow as possible...kind of like the solfeggietto don't let the quavers run away and turn into musical slurry. Try staccato practice to keep you on track.
    PM me if you need help with fingers.

Sandwich wrote: »
    Sorry for the slight hijack, but anyone know of a good index of repertoire difficulty? Is there a single index of pieces that have come up over the years at the various grades. According to RIAM or anywhere else ?

The teacher of a friend of mine compiled a very good, wide repertoire list by grade. I'll put up a copy or PM it to you when I have time. (And by time I mean my own internet connection.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Earlgrey

Mad Hatter, I'd be very interested in this list too, if you could post it (or PM). I agree with an earlier post that the grading system leaves a lot to be desired, but a list like this would at least give a structure to those, like me, who are trying to recover technique in a systematic way. 'Exercises' would be a complementary approach - but they always sound so dull, sull, dull. Thanks in advance.

Ok, list idea seems popular - give me a couple of weeks, though, okay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

The teacher of a friend of mine compiled a very good, wide repertoire list by grade. I'll put up a copy or PM it to you when I have time. (And by time I mean my own internet connection.)

Thanks The Mad Hatter. I'd appreciate the list. No hurry.

Have never had formal lessons, but enjoy learning music I like if I feel they are in my range. At the moment I can hit most things that are in old Grade 5 RIAM books. Am working on a G6 piece and seems OK for me. But have started and stalled on a few things that I shouldnt have taken on - damn you Chopin Nocturne Op9 #2 - you sound so easy. I find it hard to tell off the page with some things whether I will be able to hack it or am wasting my time trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Armelodie wrote: »
    Funky Penguin ....Sunken cathedral is definitely diploma standard (played it in college for performance exam) If I could get a grade 5 student to play the 1st 2 bars I'd be delighted....

Oh I agree....Its just that my teacher doesn't seem too. Odd really. He's an examiner and an excellent pianist. Maybe we got our wires crossed.

Meh. either way I'm learning it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya it's a nice one to play allright funky..
    especially if you have a nice piano.....
    ther'es another nice lesser Known one to play by Debussy a bit shorter but similar level of difficulty..its a piano arrangement of his orchestral work 'Berceuse Heroique' goes mad in the middle like the sunken cathedral.. they have an arrangement in wikipedia's imslp..

Advertisement