Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice On Media Players

• 20-09-2008 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

I was thing of getting this yoke on eBay.

I'm not too pushed about recording, as I have an NTL DVR and a HDD DVD recorder. Just looking for something to put my DVD collection on as it's taking up a bit of room now.

Anyone any opinions? Or would you recommend something else?

Cheers,

Freddie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Hello all.

I was thing of getting this yoke on eBay.

I'm not too pushed about recording, as I have an NTL DVR and a HDD DVD recorder. Just looking for something to put my DVD collection on as it's taking up a bit of room now.

Anyone any opinions? Or would you recommend something else?

Cheers,

Freddie.

Anyone?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

If I had the cash, I'd 2 of them it (Sitting room & bedroom). Very importantly, it has a network connection so you can just leave it in place beside the TV, connected to a homeplug network. Life would be sweet !!

Personally I have an 80GB portable unit (no network) which is grand for what it does (mostly kids stuff). I also have a 500GB unit in the bedroom which although it has a network connection can't be mapped (network is for FTP). Might be selling this because of that reason. I also have a network streamer which is great but means the PC has to be on all the time.

If you can afford it, then go for it.

iMax wrote: »
    If I had the cash, I'd 2 of them it (Sitting room & bedroom). Very importantly, it has a network connection so you can just leave it in place beside the TV, connected to a homeplug network. Life would be sweet !!

Personally I have an 80GB portable unit (no network) which is grand for what it does (mostly kids stuff). I also have a 500GB unit in the bedroom which although it has a network connection can't be mapped (network is for FTP). Might be selling this because of that reason. I also have a network streamer which is great but means the PC has to be on all the time.

If you can afford it, then go for it.

Cheers i Max. Being bought as present for me, ergo the reason for getting it.:o

Cheers,

Freddie.

PS just one other question. What's the best software for compressing the DVDs to DivX or xVid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

PS just one other question. What's the best software for compressing the DVDs to DivX or xVid?

dvddecryptor to rip the movie to hard drive
    then I normally use AGK ( Auto Gordian kbot )
    Recently i came across a different Software to do it and I was well impressed with the results and much faster than AGK
    If you want any more info ;) on this one then PM me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

I downloaded and installed Xvid4PSP over the wknd. Used it to test convert some movie clips for my PSP Slim. Very impressed with results. It's just a matter of choosing your end device from a drop-down list, clicking save and then encode. Easy.

• Advertisement

aaf wrote: »
    I downloaded and installed Xvid4PSP over the wknd. Used it to test convert some movie clips for my PSP Slim. Very impressed with results. It's just a matter of choosing your end device from a drop-down list, clicking save and then encode. Easy.

Might be easy but most of these "one-click" programs are not really great in the quality department.
    If you are happy with it then good stuff.
    If ont and would like to try others. PM me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

vectra wrote: »
    Might be easy but most of these "one-click" programs are not really great in the quality department.
    If you are happy with it then good stuff.
    If ont and would like to try others. PM me ;)
    It's not just a one-click program. You can edit all settings from HQ levels to audio bitrates. Very handy program that does an excellent job with just the defaults used but also allows those with the knowledge to tinker about with settings. What other programs would you recommend?

aaf wrote: »
    It's not just a one-click program. You can edit all settings from HQ levels to audio bitrates. Very handy program that does an excellent job with just the defaults used but also allows those with the knowledge to tinker about with settings. What other programs would you recommend?

Sounds good.
    Might try it myself.

Normally I use AGK ( Auto Gordian Knot )

Recently I tried #1dvd ripper THIS ONE
    Had to install dvix codec but I am well impressed with the quality.
    I did a test on Black Hawk Down
    over 7 gigs
    Converted to 1.8 gigs keeping 6ch sound.
    Could not really tell the difference between original and avi :cool:

Decided to sell my media player due to lack of use. Just in case anyone's interested

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=57733&cat=500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I use DVDFab to convert the DVD to an ISO file, usually just the main movie with one audio track and no subtitles. Then I use HandBrake to convert it to an H.264/MKV file using the Film profile. Works great.

• Advertisement

MediaTank wrote: »
    I use DVDFab to convert the DVD to an ISO file, usually just the main movie with one audio track and no subtitles. Then I use HandBrake to convert it to an H.264/MKV file using the Film profile. Works great.

You using a Mac ??
    Does HandBrake work on Windows ?

vectra wrote: »
    You using a Mac ??
    Does HandBrake work on Windows ?

Works on Windows too. I use the engineering release, because it handles AC3 (Dolby) better.

Works on Windows too. I use the engineering release, because it handles AC3 (Dolby) better.

Link ?? :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the help everyone. Decided to go for #1 DVD ripper. Excellent quality. Just one more question. Does the DVD maintain it's current appearance when ripped (chapters etc) or in the movie ripped as just a big AVI file? I'm new at this so please be patient!:)

Only if you convert it to an ISO file currently. AVI and older containers do not support chapter stops. The MKV container does, but only the NMT based media players support chapters in a H.264 stream in an MKV container.

Only if you convert it to an ISO file currently. AVI and older containers do not support chapter stops. The MKV container does, but only the NMT based media players support chapters in a H.264 stream in an MKV container.

In a nutshell :cool:

:eek: I'll take your word on it!:D

:eek: I'll take your word on it!:D

Convert your DVDs to ISO (quick) or to H.264/MKV (slow, but compact) for the best quality. I would avoid AVI and XViD unless it's a TV show for example.

Freddie, did you get the drive ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement