Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD security guards

Options
  • 21-09-2008 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Does anybody know why there are so many security guards outside the library at night lurking around in groups?

It's a bit sh!t having power-tripping security guards ready to order you around, it's suposed to be university, not a nightclub?

What is the point of them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭D500B

yeah there is loads. I presume it is so that people never even get a chance to step out of line. Probably as a result of the "trouble" in res last year. Lets face it if there catered for large crowd in the pub in the first place nothing would have happened.
    I can imagine the coversation among the bosses:

we can either set up extra bars on busy days, rack in the cash and keep everyone happy or we can spend loads of money of security and stop people doing anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

What are they stopping people from doing. So far the only thing they've stopped me doing is drinking outside (I was carrying a can from a house party back to my own apartment) and all they made me do was down in and throw it away. It makes sense, the last thing we want is huge parties under the bridges in Belgrove or something (no matter how awesome that sounds):p
    I'd rather encounter them than an RA who may be liable to give you a fine, take your student card, or some other bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's a "Health & Safety" thing. I have a Society function next week where we will be limited to one glass of wine per person. Any more, and UCD wants the society to pay for security guards. :confused:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

there seems to be loads more than last year.
    33% God wrote: »
    I'd rather encounter them than an RA who may be liable to give you a fine, take your student card, or some other bull****.

i thought they could take your student card? and on another point what happens if they do take your student card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Never give your student card. Just say you are not a student here, and they'll tell you to leave.

I'm sure I've made my feelings on this issue known before, but they've turned the place into what nobody thought was possible...even more timid and boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Just ignore them. At the end of the day their job is to protect you, not penalise you (even if this isn't how they act), so if you act as though they don't exist you'll have a more enjoyable time. They're not allowed to bust your chops unless you're breaking the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Last year the SU and student papers were giving out about the lack of security around the place... be careful what you ask for.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If you're not blatently breaking the rules I'm sure they'll leave you alone. I never had any serious hassle from any members of security in over six years... little bit of cop on necessary people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Interesting articles in the Observer this week on this, it seems a good few people have been having problems with them. They are certainly a lot more noticeable than the old ones but I seen any hassle myself so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭D500B

Breezer wrote: »
    Interesting articles in the Observer this week on this, it seems a good few people have been having problems with them. They are certainly a lot more noticeable than the old ones but I seen any hassle myself so far.
    I've seen them becoming very violent if they are drunkenly taunted. It's not really on - and its certainly not how the security in trinity act who seem to be much more professional - like they're actually are trained how to deal with drunken students (which lets face it is pretty much the only thing college seem to care about)

• Advertisement

The observer article was essentially a transcript of conjecture by the SU president who incidentally seems pretty misinformed if he thinks the safety office have anything to do with security... And not a single example in the whole article, just vague generalisation.

Far as I can see, the new guys are operating zero tolerance on drinking, the old crew were a bit more Laissez-faire. Seems like this is coming as a bit of a shock to some...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

D500B wrote: »
    the security in trinity act who seem to be much more professional

I always thought the security in Trinity were **** (though looking back I really did do things that were out of order: do people really need to start playing IRA on the cricket pitch at 11pm?) but they were far less off an imposition than the ones I've met in UCD.

I think the problem isn't that they're visible, it's that they're intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Having a look at the website these guys see themselves as mussel for hire. Even their logo is intimidating. There are much better companies out there and I had no problems with ISS. It amazes me how UCD can get simple things so wrong.

Anyway if the thinking is that if these guys throw shapes, square up to students and roam around in packs that it will keep the student body in line? I'd imagine anamosity will grow and there will be more confrontation.

UCD Security Management Policy = FAIL

What you “say” with your body language is sometimes louder and clearer than what you say with your words. It is a key component of communication, and positive body language will show you are confident, competent, professional and caring. - Pulse Website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

^Thats pretty much it. There is clearly a lot of animosity being generated, and that tends to encourage, rather than eliminate confrontation. I'm glad students have been complaining at the very least. Like the other guy I've rarely had trouble with campus security, but this new crew just plain reek of dodgy bouncers moonlighting. Something nasty is going to come out of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Was just about to start a thread when I noticed this one.

My girlfriend has recently started a masters in UCD. She has a degree from UCC.

She went out of her student accommodation for a cigarette, holding a glass of wine and a apparently nasty polish security guard confronted her and her friend, took her student ID and she had to pay a €100 fine.

She has never been in any trouble, and didn't know there was strict rules in place so is going to appeal this.

Why is there such overzealous security? I never had problems walking through UCC with drink, and the few times in the past I visited friends in UCD I did not have problems either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

what happens if they do take your student card wand whats the likelihood of a fine?

Firstly, be careful what you say on a public board like this.

Second, a disciplinary means a visit to see the VP for students Martin Butler and probably a fine based on the experiences of others here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cjcork1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

There's a campus wide policy of no open containers of alcohol outside. The only exception to this rule as far as I'm aware is the pit outside the forum bar.

Closed containers are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I remember the old days when security would make you down open cans. :o

In fairness I remember the huge ructions back in the day when some lads I knew got in ridiculous amounts of trouble in the accommadation for some parties they had. Clearly they've decided on a vastly increased security presence to frighten the bejesus out of the lickle 'uns.

I know if I was a new kid in UCD I'd be fupping terrified of some of the security lads you see wandering around.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

There's a campus wide policy of no open containers of alcohol outside. The only exception to this rule as far as I'm aware is the pit outside the forum bar.

Closed containers are fine.

Residences are a different matter in some ways, I do feel sorry for the girl in the top post on this page, possibly some kind of a reasonable compromise would be in order there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Out of interest what can they do if you refuse to hand over your student ID?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 testybits

pithater1 wrote: »
    Out of interest what can they do if you refuse to hand over your student ID?

They can call the gardaí if you don't hand it over. If you don't have a student card you're not a student of UCD and are therefore tresspassing on private property. I've seen people threatened with that line of action before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Loco wrote: »
    She went out of her student accommodation for a cigarette, holding a glass of wine and a apparently nasty polish security guard confronted her and her friend, took her student ID and she had to pay a €100 fine.
    Absolutely ridiculous. Policy or no policy, if she was only standing smoking a cigarette outside what is effectively her own home he could have simply asked her to bring the wine back inside. Then if she started causing a fuss he could have taken the steps he did. Common sense never hurt anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

testybits wrote: »
    They can call the gardaí if you don't hand it over. If you don't have a student card you're not a student of UCD and are therefore tresspassing on private property. I've seen people threatened with that line of action before.
    Not exactly.

The security staff have the same rights as the owner of the property i.e. if you are not a student they can ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave then you are trespassing and they can call the gardai.

If you are a student but dont happen to have your student card (remember they have no rights to detain or search you) there is sweet f.a they can do.

Not much use if you are living in a residence like the OP though... And although there's a lot of people here, UCD can still be a pretty small place... What are the chances of being snagged going to class or similar the next day?

Not correct on the student card either I'm afraid. In the first place, having one does not give any entitlement to be on private property and secondly, saying 'I'm a student here' but refusing to show ID of any sort is going to lead to being treated as a non-student i.e. asked to leave -> Gardai called.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

As a UCD student you are obliged to carry your UCD student card with you at all times according to Student Policy and Code of Conduct. You are also obliged to produce it for any member of staff when requested to do so. Failure to do so can result in disciplinary action.

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    Not much use if you are living in a residence like the OP though...

Yes it is. Walk back inside the building without saying a word. they cant legally block your way or follow you.
    And although there's a lot of people here, UCD can still be a pretty small place... What are the chances of being snagged going to class or similar the next day?
    Sure they could just wait outside your apartment till the next time you come up, but would they? At some stage common sense is going to come into play.
    Not correct on the student card either I'm afraid. In the first place, having one does not give any entitlement to be on private property
    there is implied access to ucd (open gates, public bus network etc), I dont have to be a student to be in UCD, it is not trespassing. It becomes trespassing when I refuse to leave when asked - unless I have a right to be there eg a UCD student.
    and secondly, saying 'I'm a student here' but refusing to show ID of any sort is going to lead to being treated as a non-student i.e. asked to leave -> Gardai called.
    Thats usually the easiest thing to do. Leave and come back.
    Preusse wrote: »
    As a UCD student you are obliged to carry your UCD student card with you at all times according to Student Policy and Code of Conduct. You are also obliged to produce it for any member of staff when requested to do so. Failure to do so can result in disciplinary action.

You are not required to carry ID at all times as far as I can see http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/student_code.pdf

Neither are you required to produce your student card unless the staff member has a reasonable need to establish your identity eg you are using a UCD facility, or contravening the student code. Security has no power for example to conduct random ID checks, you have every right to be on UCD grounds, student or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

You are not required to carry ID at all times and you are not required to produce your student card unless the staff member has a reasonable need to establish your identity eg you are using a UCD facility, or contravening the student code. Security has no power for example to conduct random ID checks, you have every right to be on UCD grounds, student or not.

I am afraid you are wrong there. This is the exact text of the regulation. It is not restricted to certain times or reasonable grounds. Any staff member can ask you to produce your Student card at any time. Refusal to do so is in breach of regulations and policies. Text:
    UCD Student ID Cards
    Students must carry their student card with them at all times. They
    must produce it for a member of staff when requested to do so.

EDIT: To be found in the UCD Student Guide and Diary 2008/2009, Regulations and Policies, p 125.

http://www.ucd.ie/incomingstudents/UCD_Student_Guide_Diary_2008.pdf

• Advertisement

Ah ok, thanks for your edit.

Advertisement