Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a woman?

Options
  • 21-09-2008 6:43am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Was watching with a group of friends tonight the old film "Entrapment" (1999) starring Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta Jones, and there was a line of script: Does the dress make the woman, or does the woman make the dress? After the film we ended up first talking about this line, but then it expanded beyond fashion to the larger issue of what makes a woman?

Of course the woman or the dress issue came first in our discussion. Someone remembered the recent Republican convention where Cindy McCain came on stage wearing a $3,000 Oscar de la Renta yellow dress. Someone else remembered seeing Angelina Jolie walking the red carpet with Brad Pitt during the "Mighty Heart" (2007) film premiere wearing a $26 black dress she found at a vintage store in Los Angeles.

We all agreed that Angelina in the simple $26 black sheath looked gorgeous, while Cindy looked like a $3,000 banana. We then tried to picture in our minds swapping the dresses between the two women (with proper sizing and fitting), and the consensus was that Cindy would have looked at lot better in the $26 black sheath. In spite of the fact that we felt Angelina to be younger and prettier than Cindy, we all agreed that she would have looked terrible in the $3,000 banana dress.

So did the dress make the woman?

Oddly we didn't think so, because our discussion shifted to wondering why would someone pay $3,000 for a dress, when the $26 black dress looked superior? It wasn't because Angelina could not afford to buy a $3,000 dress, because she is a multimillionaire just like Cindy. There was something different about these two celebrity women, and it wasn't what they were wearing.

What do you think? What makes a woman? Is it the dress, make-up, and what not, or something much more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

A vag.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The-Rigger wrote: »
    A vag.
    A file extension for PlayStation ADPCM sound file?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Bewbs!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

facepalm.jpg

Right, now that we've got the obvious stuff out of the way, proper answers from now on please folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Its not the clothes its the way you ware them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Sounds like you're more having an argument of fashion vs style.

It looks like Cindy McCain was interested in fashion so chose a very expensive very well known designer. Angelina Jolie on the other hand chose her own style, she knew she liked the dress and price/designer didn't matter. I have a ton of overpriced designer stuff in my wardrobe and just as much pennys/awear stuff. You pick what you like but i think everybody has something they wore that they look back on in shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

On a deeper level I don't think clothes have much to do with what makes a woman a woman.

I think what makes a woman is warmth, character, love and humour.

You can express who you are through your clothes, but without a fully formed person inside them, they're nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Sugar and spice an all things nice..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gibbins123

Confidence... Would Cindy have felt confident wearing a $26 dress?

Angelina just has the confidence to do her own thing and confidence in herself.

Forget what makes a woman. You are a woman and what makes you you is being your lovely, polite, stubborn, sweet, grumpy, sexy self!

Do it all with confidence:)

I suppose what makes an ideal woman is all that stuff with out the bad stuff, but thats not gona happen!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Oestorgen and progesterone levels being higher than testosterone makes a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Charisma. Charisma is sexyness. AJ is one of the most beautiful and sexy women on the planet because she has raw feminine charisma. Dress her in a paper bag or a 3000$ dress and she'll look amazing either way.

Guys in tuxs all look pretty good but some guys look amazing despite being of the same proportions and wearing the same suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

most importantly with me it's a sense of humour, if she doesn't have that... /end.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭psycho8itch

I think that what really makes a woman stand out is when she knows who she is and what she wants. I think any woman that knows what they really want can achieve it. With the confidence and courage they need they can do/be whatever they want.

Advertisement