Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car keeps cutting out..

Options
  • 21-09-2008 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭

so i drive a 96 seat ibiza nd lately this problem has got pretty annoyin and very dangerous.. lik turnin into my estate nd i lose power steering or jus get landed in middle of road wit no power.

its like the engine is ticking over at just a little bit too low rpm. say i stopping at traffic lights nd i clutch and take it out of gear.. the car will jus go straight from 3000 rpm say to completely dead. sometimes its grand but when the engine is cold its really bad.. lik switch on car, rev it and if i stop reving the engine will switch off straight away.

what do ye think the problem is? i'm useless when it comes to engines but i figure if the "minimum" rev was made a bit higher, it'd fix the problem? car runs perfect apart from this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 hogeybear

It could be a few things. If it is the idle you can more than likely change the idle speed yourself. Find the throttle cable in the engine bay and see if there is an adjuster on it near the top. twist this a few times and it takes the slack out of the cable and increases your idle. It could also be your airflow meter. Does it happen when your car is low on fuel? If it only happens when you are low on fuel it could be your fuel pump. Best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I had this same problem recently on the same car and the cause was a vaccum pipe was perished and the engine was drawing in air... Check the vacuum pipes under & around the air filter housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

hogeybear wrote: »
    It could be a few things. If it is the idle you can more than likely change the idle speed yourself. Find the throttle cable in the engine bay and see if there is an adjuster on it near the top. twist this a few times and it takes the slack out of the cable and increases your idle.

On any car where the idle is controlled by the ECU it is not a good idea to adjust the throttle closed position. This would effect the signal from the idle position/throttle position switch.

There are a lot of faults that could cause this. A vac leak, as mentioned, is one. Also dirty throttle body, faulty throttle body etc.
    You may be better to get it plugged in somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Not sure if your car has this, but try cleaning out the breather box, and throttle body.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

fuel pump

• Advertisement
Advertisement