Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing wheels

Options
  • 21-09-2008 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

If I change the wheels on my car from 18" to 19", same make/type just size being the difference, would anything else need to be done e.g. balancing, tracking, etc. ? :confused:

Thanks for your advice. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You will have to get tyres with a lower profile to match or nearly match the original diameter.

(You may spoil the ride quality though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

eddiem74 wrote: »
    If I change the wheels on my car from 18" to 19", same make/type just size being the difference, would anything else need to be done e.g. balancing, tracking, etc. ? :confused:

Thanks for your advice. :)

The new wheels should be balanced when tyres are fitted to them, it would be a good idea to have the tracking/alignment checked while your at it. 19" tyres are going to be expensive to replace if they are being worn due to poor tracking or alignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your speedometer calibration may also be slightly off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Thanks guys, its actually on a 320 BMW Coupe.

I have a coupe with 19", however i am changing the car, and the coupe I am changing it for has currently 18" on it, however I am keeping my 19" and having them fitted to the new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, its actually on a 320 BMW Coupe.

I have a coupe with 19", however i am changing the car, and the coupe I am changing it for has currently 18" on it, however I am keeping my 19" and having them fitted to the new car.

Your existing wheels (19's) should not need to be balanced, just get the tracking and alignment checked on the new car as a precaution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Neilw wrote: »
    Your existing wheels (19's) should not need to be balanced, just get the tracking and alignment checked on the new car as a precaution.

Thanks will do !

Advertisement