Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Speed - ascent

Options
  • 21-09-2008 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

Would you be nuts to try and take on the hill from Drumcondra to Santry on a single speed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Would you be nuts to try and take on the hill from Drumcondra to Santry on a single speed?

Nope, have done it a fair few times both on my fixie and on my singlespeed (before she died!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Ditto,
    I do this one every morning, it's quite doable. 45-16 gearing on the bike though which isn't ferocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭psycholist

49 x 15, it's fun sitting the 4a all the way up it!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What hill?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭psycholist

el tonto wrote: »
    What hill?;)

hahahahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Listen, if you're as unfit as I am it's a mountain. I have to take on the first bit, relax on Griffith Ave. for awhile before continuing, and that's with gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

a few weeks of grinding up it on a singlespeed and it'll be nothing to you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Woops, wrong thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I got used to climbing on my fixie pretty quickly- would have a good base level of fitness though. I think a fixie is a bit easier than a singlespeed, there is a certain flywheel effect getting you over the dead spot and it is easier to get into a good rhythm.

Remember you can always turn those cranks slower!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Keep at it OP, I have my own personal Everest that is Putland road in Bray. Its right at the end of my spin home and it kicks my ass every time. By the top I'm near keeling over, but I bet in a couple of months time I'll be flying up it :) (wont be for lack of trying).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

el tonto wrote: »
    What hill?;)

That's what I was thinking.

But no, it wouldn't be mad, ye'd crack it in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Do it every day on a singelspeed, I wouldn't be the fittest myself, but it is very do-able.

Advertisement