Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a compost heap

Options
  • 21-09-2008 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

I've been successful with a compost heap (in a plastic green tub) here in Terenure for the last two years. I have chucked in some tiger worms, stirred it up once in a while and have been keeping an eye on what I am putting into it. Don't take a whole lot out of it but then we don't need to. The whole thing has been a revelation in minimising what goes in the black bin.

However, there is every prospect of moving to Glasnevin in the next two months and would hate to have to start afresh there. Does any one have advice on moving the whole thing lock, stock and? I could bag it up I suppose but maybe there's a better way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Is there a better way, I wonder?

Shoveling everything into strong garden sacks would certainly allow you to tightly close/seal the bags and keep the rather strong odour contained!

If the smell is not to be feared, could you invert the compost bin somehow and transport the contents IN it?

I recently moved an almost 3 year old compost bin from the back to the front garden quite successfully.
    I got about half of the bin of beautiful compost and transported the rest in buckets and tubs to it's new location at the front. A smelly job, to say the least.
    I've never added worms or anything to accelerate the composting, but the bin was FULL of them. A thriving wormery, if you will. :)

Good luck with the move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

Thanks for the response Rancid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Use Duck Tape or strong Removers' brown tape to secure lid and turn upside down. To minimise spillage/smell, try wrapping cling film on open side.

BTW, you'd hardly need to take alll with you?

Good luck anyway and make sure the worms wear seatbelts!!

Advertisement