Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting School Problems

Options
  • 21-09-2008 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I can't see any thread on it.
    Has anyone any experience of a child being very upset each evening at the prospect of going to school the next day?
    I mean beyond the usual starting school problems that you would expect.

She's started school this year and is inconsolable every night and morning, never experienced anything like this before.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭bookiebasher

Had the very same trouble and its very tramatic but rest assured this will pass.Most kids now have a very sheltered upbringing and starting school is a jolt to their system and some kids take to it like a duck to water but some find its not routine and want to go back to the way it was.
    Little by little the child will get into the school routine and know that mammy or daddy will be along at 2 o clock to bring them back to familiar surroundings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've heard others talking about it, but haven't experienced it myself. It doesn't sound that unusual tbh. Mine has been fine, (so far), well not over the moon, but not complaining that much. But then they are well used to the daily routine from Creche, Montessori, etc. I feel sorry for them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hi Mike,

My little fella started playschool 2 months ago and had my heart broken leaving him... I got a good bit of positive feedback in the thread below..

Link

Hope things get better for you soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

perhaps you can speek to the teacher and get her a little "buddy". Someone the teacher has seen her getting on with that she could sit beside and ask the other child to "look after her". Its a less traumatic experience when you know there is a friendly face there.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

Could you get the child to open up and tell you or a teddy or whatever he/she will chat to and explain what it is exactly that is so upsetting...it can be a real misunderstanding at times....misinterpreting a teacher's "threats" etc....not understanding the wording/language used in school...not knowing where things are....toilet problems etc it could be anything but it might be something that you can fix easily if you can find out exactly...hope it turns out to be something trivial and child is happy and content again soon:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement