Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco visa have ruined my credit rating

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

little bit rude there.

Wasn't meant to be rude. Harsh or uncaring perhaps. Then again I thought "rolleyes" excused all sorts of rudeness....

Tesco made an error (not surprising - the credit card side of their business seems to be poor). They tried to resolve the error by mailing statements to the address on file. The OP didn't get these statements. As far as Tesco were concerned OP was ignoring them.

Room on both sides for some sort of amicable solution.

Then again we could all take the Joe Duffy (*) attitude whereby it is the company and only the company that is to blame.

(*) I wonder do IBEC and the SFA have a forum whereby it's always the customers to blame and BT can write in...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

kazzer wrote: »
    They didnt try to contact you by phone either (did they?)

Not until it was overdue by almost 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Same thing happened to me when I closed my NIB account. 2 months later I got a bill for € 40. I had overpaid by €5 on the balance to cover any interest for that month. I also closed my account in March thinking I'd avoid the charge but the bill came in May.
    They were very nice about and said it happens alot and that they have to collect it on behalf of the gov. etc.
    Didn't check if it affected my credit rating though. I had a direct debit set up for them in which they didn't try collect once I had requested them to close the account.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Sorry if this is a little off topic but I'm wondering if this can affect my credit rating.
    Here goes:

In 2001 I had a bill phone from Esat Digifone and got into some bother of sorts running up bills I couldn't afford and whatnot. Just being young. Anyway I ended up having to get a bank loan and paid what I owed and paid enough to terminate the contract. Everyone was happy.

Anyway I popped into o2 recently to get broadband and they said I owe them 60 euro, and won't give me broadband until I paid them. I said to myself "what the ****?" and asked "for what?". They said billphone in 2001 and told me the number, which was the same one from what I can reminder.

Anyway I told them send me out the invoice so I can have a look at it.
    The invoice said I now owe them 127 euro.
    F uck that says me. I reminder clearly I had settled for what I owe them.
    And it seems strange that they never contacted me about it in 7 years, and also gave me the unlock code for the billphone so I could put in a prepaid SIM.
    So I made alternate arrangments for the broadband.

Anyway It just struck me that they just sent me out a new bill.
    I know your credit rating gets reset after 5 years but since this invoice is "new" could it now count toward affecting my rating?

I'd appreciate any replies.
    JT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a little off topic but I'm wondering if this can affect my credit rating.
    Here goes:

In 2001 I had a bill phone from Esat Digifone and got into some bother of sorts running up bills I couldn't afford and whatnot. Just being young. Anyway I ended up having to get a bank loan and paid what I owed and paid enough to terminate the contract. Everyone was happy.

Anyway I popped into o2 recently to get broadband and they said I owe them 60 euro, and won't give me broadband until I paid them. I said to myself "what the ****?" and asked "for what?". They said billphone in 2001 and told me the number, which was the same one from what I can reminder.

Anyway I told them send me out the invoice so I can have a look at it.
    The invoice said I now owe them 127 euro.
    F uck that says me. I reminder clearly I had settled for what I owe them.
    And it seems strange that they never contacted me about it in 7 years, and also gave me the unlock code for the billphone so I could put in a prepaid SIM.
    So I made alternate arrangments for the broadband.

Anyway It just struck me that they just sent me out a new bill.
    I know your credit rating gets reset after 5 years but since this invoice is "new" could it now count toward affecting my rating?

I'd appreciate any replies.
    JT.

I could be very wrong here, and it would be best to check the law on this, but:
    I think that if you have not been made aware of the outstanding amount for a period of more than 5 years, then you are not responsible for the debt. So, it is like the 'statute of limitations' has run out.

Did they ever send you a bill?
    Do you have any documentation from when you paid the bill in full in 2001?

Speak to someone who knows a bit about commercial law, and you will get better advice than I can give.

Good luck. :)

• Advertisement

Did they ever send you a bill?
    Yes. And I paid them in full 7 years ago. They then gave me the unlock code for the phone implying my account was clear. Nothing from them in 7 years until now.
    Do you have any documentation from when you paid the bill in full in 2001?
    Nah, not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I mean, did they send you a bill after you paid them in 2001?

P.C. wrote: »
    I mean, did they send you a bill after you paid them in 2001?

No. At least not that I can remember.

As I was dealing with a clerk in the 02 store, and then when she rang head office it caused me considerable embarassment.

Advertisement