Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelance submissions to RTE

• 21-09-2008 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭

Hi,
    anyone know how to submit freelance video to RTE or if such a facility exists- coverage of events etc... I Gather you'd have to well connected or your post code has to be D4 - but here's hoping,
    Cheers,
    Reece

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

If its camera work for events rather than RTE studio productions then its probably not RTE you need to submit to, its Observe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭afatbollix

^^^^^^^^
    observe is a ob company... dont know what your on about..

rte dont take in freelance work of lets say your local rugby team... (reasons would be camera quality, camera op skill and basicly it would look ****e)

if its a drama or documentry you want to hand in you will have to make a pilot and fill out a lot of budgets.. paper work and so on.... if it is a documentry or drama best bet is to get a production company on board and they would help you..

rtes policy about taking in programs that are allready made is frowned apon.. they like to be able to edit some of the program themselfs... (story wise and in the final edit)

anto-t wrote: »
    observe is a ob company... dont know what your on about..

I'll tell you what I'm on about then!:D
    I took it that he wanted to get camera work covering events "coverage of events etc" when I read the question. Doesn't quite read like that now that i look at it again though.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Hi Folks,
    what I was on about are situations that are not always covered by RTE news related broadcasts. E.G. charity events - swims, etc... The kinda fluff that's tagged on to the end of the bulletin - not looking to make dosh, just to get broadcast would be an achievement

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

reece wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    what I was on about are situations that are not always covered by RTE news related broadcasts. E.G. charity events - swims, etc... The kinda fluff that's tagged on to the end of the bulletin - not looking to make dosh, just to get broadcast would be an achievement

for that kind of thing you need to get in touch with the programme that you think it might suit, watch out for the name of the editor/production company on normal shows. Look to speak to whoever covers the type of story you have something for if it is news.

Unlikely to work though, most of these types of events already have those involved sending in stuff in the hope of getting it on the news. Nothing to do with being 'well connected or postcode D4' though, that atttude will get you nowhere. It is because generally amateur work has low production values and can't be used, who would have time to trawl through stuff from some randomer with no reason to believe it is any good?

Better off trying to actually get freelance work with a production company who already have the contacts. Which would be very difficult at the moment.

• Advertisement

Copacetic said it right. What I was talking about was more like covering Award Shows that TV stations would broadcast, sports events or Political party Ard Fheis type events. A lot of these are done by the likes of Observe or TVM.
    Its the production companies you need to try and get freelance work through.
    You could try getting freelance work in the corporate AV field first - camera relay for conferences & shows, live record of events etc, which may help you getting experience on your CV to help you get into the TV side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kmcgraphics.com

I've had some success in getting my footage shown on RTE & TV3 News on two occasions this year, the subject of the footage was already national news and carried by the papers so I just phoned both newsdesks and pitched my work, what did help was I had a small sample of the footage ready to email to them so they could get the producer to have a look and then decide.... luckily they used the footage and I also made a few contacts with them for future submissions. Some people would call it neck, I say "Why Not"

Advertisement