Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a port seafood market around Dublin

• 21-09-2008 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi everyone.
    My girlfriend is crazy about the shellfish seafood, and it must be fresh for her. We are living in Naas and no any fresh seafood shop here. she asked me bring her to a port or beach for good shellfish seafood(lobster, crab, mussels,etc...), but I have no idea where to go. I dont mind travel 100 miles return just for a few crabs and lobster, all I really want is give her as much as I can find until she got enough and sick of these:D (I cant eat seafood due to allergy:mad:)

any idea? just beach or port please, it means fresh for her. she doesnt like the seafood in the shop.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

You can buy live crab and lobster from both Beshoffs and Wrights of Howth, both out by the pier in Howth. Not too bad prices either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FocusIreland

You can buy live crab and lobster from both Beshoffs and Wrights of Howth, both out by the pier in Howth. Not too bad prices either.
    thats great! but any opening hours?:confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

By googling their website: http://www.wrightsofhowth.com/ViewPage.asp?PageID=6&Site=WRIGHTS

Beshoff have similar hours.

I believe there is a place somewhere in Dun Laoghaire too, but I don't know anything about other than that I read about it somewhere here.

wow. very useful. I ll be there next week:D thanks a million!!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

you could always try the fish shop on the coal pier in Dun Laoire, fresh off the boats, not sure the hours - try googling.

TomC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

For Howth, go to Nicky's Plaice (sic) before the other 2. Much better reputation. There's a few others to choose from also. Word of warning though, if you try to drive on a sunny Sat or Sun, there can be long tailbacks on the coast road. So if you're coming from Naas on a day like today, dump the car in somewhere like Raheny or Clontarf Road and get the DART the rest of the way out. There's also a nice but pricey farmers' market on the pier each Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

By googling their website: http://www.wrightsofhowth.com/ViewPage.asp?PageID=6&Site=WRIGHTS

Beshoff have similar hours.

I believe there is a place somewhere in Dun Laoghaire too, but I don't know anything about other than that I read about it somewhere here.

Bulloch harbour in Dalkey, you can pick them alive and kicking - lobster and crab that is. Cavistons in Sandycove is a fishmongers and also has deli as well. It is renowned for it's fish and it has fish restaurant attached. I'd recommend this if you want fresh fish as they have a really good selection.

went to the howth pier this afternoon,long trip and a big disappointment.

nikcy's not open although its their opening hours - lazy people I guess.
    then tried another small shop called 'D' something, mostly fish, didnt have enough shellfish. so went to the wrights finally.

here are the price list:
    Lobster what I seen today was 30 EURO for 1 KG... I dunno if I can get a cooked one in a restaurant for same price.
    very small crabs were also doubled the price compare another shop I went. 7 euro a KG. they are so small about half size of your fist.
    octopus 19 euro each KG.

I m not a seafood fan, but these price I think its just little bit mad.
    what do u think?

bought a small pack for total about 30 euro. at least one good thing I got as a result - now the girlfriend not moaning anymore about the 'pier fresh seafood'.

Advertisement