Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some French woman has a problem with The Irish

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Gas how xenophobia is considered acceptable by some Irish... as long as it's directed towards ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

seahorse wrote: »
    Gas how xenophobia is considered acceptable by some Irish... as long as it's directed towards ourselves.
    Like who? If this is directed to me, since i was the one to bring up xenophobia, then no. I disagree with the woman, but i also disagree with the retaliatory comments about where she's from. its pot kettle stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

We shouldn't be giving this idiot any more of our time TBH. Angry woman insulted by stupid Brendan O'Connor article...responds the only way she knows how. Let's move on. Who's with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Hagar wrote: »
    If she's wrong, she's not far wrong.

^What he said.
    It's her hate-filled, barely coherent style that lets the letter down if anything tbh.
    Other than that there's a fair bit of truth in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

seahorse wrote: »
    LOL tis true , the people the irish are most intolorant of are the irish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

I think it's really ironic that people are using generalizations about the French to try and debunk generalizations about the Irish.

Absolutely.
    There's a lot of indignation in this thread. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cleveland brown

tech77 wrote: »
    ^What he said.
    It's her hate-filled, barely coherent style that lets the letter down if anything tbh.
    Other than that there's a fair bit of truth in it.

No no there is not. Hagar is a fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

zuroph wrote: »
    Like who? If this is directed to me, since i was the one to bring up xenophobia, then no. I disagree with the woman, but i also disagree with the retaliatory comments about where she's from. its pot kettle stuff.

This is a very long thread zuroph, and I haven’t even read your previous comments, so no, my remark wasn’t directed at you. I'd be inclined to agree with what you say here though, in that retaliatory anti-French sentiment is mindless and pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

In France they also consider it "vulgar" to pronounce a single french word incorrectly. She thinks you have to work at something to be proud of it? So all those times my parents said THEY were proud of something I worked to achieve they were lying!!!!! My entire childhood has been a lie!!! Thank you france for opening my eyes!!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Nalced_irl wrote: »
    In France they also consider it "vulgar" to pronounce a single french word incorrectly.
    Not vulgar really, ignorant in the sense of un-educated would be more accurate.
    If you get the pronunciation/accents on word wrong you change the meaning completely a bit like in Irish where "Fear" is man and "Féar" is grass. If you get one word wrong in a sentence the meaning can probably be guessed. Get several wrong and you are talking gibberish.

How do you view East Europeans speaking Pidgin English? With disdain, I expect. Why expect the French to view foreigners stumbling through their language to feel any differently?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bootlace

I think at this stage, we should be more secure in our country than to worry too much about what other nations think of us. Do you think it bothers the English or French how unpopular they are?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

DarkJager wrote: »
    How awful to think I could have been born French!! Instead of enjoying my weekend in the pub, I could be sitting beside a canal eating croissants, drinking black coffee and talking ****.

Isn't that Holland?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Wow... The French are so perfect aren't they? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

How do you view East Europeans speaking Pidgin English? With disdain, I expect. Why expect the French to view foreigners stumbling through their language to feel any differently?

I don't know about other people but when I hear an eastern European stumbling through a sentence in English, I don't view them with disdain. I'm just embarrassed that they can express themselves at all in another language while I cannot.

I used to speak some French+Spanish but I always felt a bit self conscious when using it around French/Spanish people. So eventually I stopped since their English was far superior to my French/Spanish. A Polish guy with broken English no doubt knows that his English is not up to scratch. The fact that he still uses it and manages to gets his point across is impressive. Anyone who would view them with disdain for that has some xenophobic issues imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

bootlace wrote: »
    I think at this stage, we should be more secure in our country than to worry too much about what other nations think of some idiot say about us. Do you think it bothers the English or French how unpopular they are?

Fixed! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

At least Irish women wash their gees!

20goto10 wrote: »
    At least Irish women wash their gees!

Hmmm.... "washing your gee" as you so eloquently put it is commonly known as a vaginal douche. Note that douche is a French word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Heh. The French don't even have a word for Douche :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Woah, that's one angry lady.

I hate the French and Germans? That's news to me :rolleyes:

Me too.

I quite like the French and Germans actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

That's the bit I don't get, I think she must be confusing us with the English who seem to hate all of their near neighbours and call them endearing names like the jocks, the paddies, the frogs, the hun, and so on..

If anything, we've a FAR better relationship with France and Germany than the English (note, I don't want to include the Scots, Welsh or anyone else who happens to be in the UK in that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Solair wrote: »
    That's the bit I don't get, I think she must be confusing us with the English who seem to hate all of their near neighbours and call them endearing names like the jocks, the paddies, the frogs, the hun, and so on..

If anything, we've a FAR better relationship with France and Germany than the English (note, I don't want to include the Scots, Welsh or anyone else who happens to be in the UK in that).

These are terms of affection. If there was any hatred of the neighbours, the Anglo-Saxon expletives would be used instead, mainly the one beginning with "c". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

i felt compelled to register with boards in order to tell people that this letter was a fake. The previous week Brendan O'connor wrote an anti-EU article then lo and behold we get a letter from an anonymous Frenchwoman who insults Irish people in the most utterly ridiculous ways. Why French? one because they were one of the two major founding members of the EU, secondly because they have been an adversary of the Anglo-American alliance that capitalists capitalists such as Sir Anthony O'Reilly and David McWilliams want to position us in and thirdly they are the major advocate of the Lisbon Treaty. I would guess this letter was written by one of the staff at the Sunday Independent with the assistance of O'Connor. Only O'Connor could come up with this juvenile Mr.Paddy rubbish. Don't allow yourself to rise to the bait of their anti-European propaganda. How old is this woman? at least in her fifties but she uses the language of an illiterate twenty year old from Dublin. She uses language of hate against us and then associates the French nation with numerous other European countries, except Britain. To say French people don't consider themselves European is utter rubbish.It is obvious that the major industrialists see our role outside the EU where they can control a government policies and tax rates. It is sad when the biggest news group in Ireland is nothing but a mouthpiece for big business(witness Eoghan Harris in the last general election. PS. I don't have much interest in politics but i hate the way the Independent group are manipulating people.

ghiertal wrote: »
    i felt compelled to register with boards in order to tell people that this letter was a fake. The previous week Brendan O'connor wrote an anti-EU article then lo and behold we get a letter from an anonymous Frenchwoman who insults Irish people in the most utterly ridiculous ways. Why French? one because they were one of the two major founding members of the EU, secondly because they have been an adversary of the Anglo-American alliance that capitalists capitalists such as Sir Anthony O'Reilly and David McWilliams want to position us in and thirdly they are the major advocate of the Lisbon Treaty. I would guess this letter was written by one of the staff at the Sunday Independent with the assistance of O'Connor. Only O'Connor could come up with this juvenile Mr.Paddy rubbish. Don't allow yourself to rise to the bait of their anti-European propaganda. How old is this woman? at least in her fifties but she uses the language of an illiterate twenty year old from Dublin. She uses language of hate against us and then associates the French nation with numerous other European countries, except Britain. To say French people don't consider themselves European is utter rubbish.It is obvious that the major industrialists see our role outside the EU where they can control a government policies and tax rates. It is sad when the biggest news group in Ireland is nothing but a mouthpiece for big business(witness Eoghan Harris in the last general election. PS. I don't have much interest in politics but i hate the way the Independent group are manipulating people.

Good first post. I was thinking this myself but didn't want to spoil the fun people were having. I'd say you're dead right.

Maybe Independent news represent the views of the majority of the country. Europe has made their views of Irish people quite clear. Saying we rejected the Lisbon treaty because we couldn't read it or because we are against abortion. Dumb f*cking paddy's. The transatlantic alliance is where we belong. We have so much in common with the US and dare I say it even the UK. We have absolutely nothing in common with mainland Europe. Who wants women with hairy armpits?

20goto10 wrote: »
    The transatlantic alliance is where we belong. We have so much in common with the US and dare I say it even the UK. We have absolutely nothing in common with mainland Europe. Who wants women with hairy armpits?

Yeah those continental women are UGGGG-LY! Give me a nice American girl any day.

[NSFW]http://www.guzer.com/pictures/europe_vs_usa.jpg[/NSFW]

A couple of hundred post back, I did suggest that the Indo prove that it wasn't a fake, but they obviously declined. I think that pretty much everyone here doubts its authenticity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Jaysus, I don't know who this poor Paddy fella is but he must have shat in her cornflakes or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

i dont have any problem with us leaving the EU however i do have a problem with racism. O'Connor letter was designed to whip up anti-european sentiment in a Goebbels like fashion. If you want Fox news type media in this country then thats your opinion. I don't.in the past few weeks we have seen a major banking crisis emerge in the US, if our banks were more closely tied with American financial institutions and if we had left the European monetary system thenm with when any problems arose we would not have the ECB to help us out. Do you think the Americans and British would?

i dont have any problem with us leaving the EU however i do have a problem with racism. O'Connor letter was designed to whip up anti-european sentiment in a Goebbels like fashion. If you want Fox news type media in this country then thats your opinion. I don't.in the past few weeks we have seen a major banking crisis emerge in the US, if our banks were more closely tied with American financial institutions and if we had left the European monetary system thenm with when any problems arose we would not have the ECB to help us out. Do you think the Americans and British would?

The ECB has helped us out?? Nonsense. They lowered interest rates when we needed them highered and highered them when we need them lowered.

• Advertisement

i dont have any problem with us leaving the EU however i do have a problem with racism. O'Connor letter was designed to whip up anti-european sentiment in a Goebbels like fashion. If you want Fox news type media in this country then thats your opinion. I don't.in the past few weeks we have seen a major banking crisis emerge in the US, if our banks were more closely tied with American financial institutions and if we had left the European monetary system thenm with when any problems arose we would not have the ECB to help us out. Do you think the Americans and British would?[/QUOTE]

Why would they anyway? All countries with dodgy banks seem to be bailing themselves out.

Advertisement