Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some French woman has a problem with The Irish

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

ghiertal wrote: »
    i dont have any problem with us leaving the EU however i do have a problem with racism. O'Connor letter was designed to whip up anti-european sentiment in a Goebbels like fashion. If you want Fox news type media in this country then thats your opinion. I don't.in the past few weeks we have seen a major banking crisis emerge in the US, if our banks were more closely tied with American financial institutions and if we had left the European monetary system thenm with when any problems arose we would not have the ECB to help us out. Do you think the Americans and British would?

But you cannot prove a word of what you posted here. Do you work for Denis O Brien? Your veiled attempt at a comparison between Reilly and Goebbells is a sham and you sir should be ashamed of yourself !

The conspiricy theory forum is thata way ,,,,<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Now, can we get back to the smelly gee jokes? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Ghiertal, I also thought it reeked of 'fake', and I've seen many posts suggesting that also. I've been all over Europe, and I've never met anyone who gave two damns about Ireland, let alone knew the first thing about the place.

The anti-lisbon, anti-Europe movement ARE there, behind the scenes, doing their best to sway our opinions. They probably sense another Lisbon vote approaching, and want to make sure we are all as anti-European as we can be. I've seen one or two 'questionable' Metro letters. There's no conspiracy here though. It's simply a case of one side V the other. People who speak of 'conspiracies' at the first whiff of talk about people wanting to influence opinion, don't belong in a serious discussion TBH [EDIT: Yeah I know sometimes it's tongue-in-cheek as well]. I think it's only common sense ,also, to assume that people register on boards for the aforementioned reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

longshanks wrote: »
    unshaven cheese eating surrender monkey

No, that's proving right most of her points silly billy.

I am french folks, all i can say is that this article is a pile of crap, none of what she says is in my view true and I have been living here for 10 years now.

I would even go further and defend some points like "I never see any craic with the Paddies", well ... still have few friends in France who i am still in contact with and I can tell you that the "craic" in France stops when you reach the age of 25. No more going out after this! Or "Brittany -- where people do not like the Irish", i am from Brittany myself and I can guarantee you that most of the French tourist in Ireland would be from there (Thats why Ryanair has a route direct to Nantes now actually) for the simple reason that they LOVE Ireland :D

She is just a lost soul, let her rant and go back to boring France ;)

Orizio wrote: »
    Probably, half of the French spent their time helping the Germans, rather then, you know, being honourable and shooting at the Nazi's. Considering how the French government acts these days, and their apparent hate for free speech or enligthenment values, well hell its like the fascists never left...:P

And you are a moderator on Boards.ie? I have to say this is rather shocking comments. OK so you are pissed off at this article ... Starting to bring up facism and this sort of rubbish isnt going to help your case my friend ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

ZeRoY wrote: »
    And you are a moderator on Boards.ie? I have to say this is rather shocking comments. OK so you are pissed off at this article ... Starting to bring up facism and this sort of rubbish isnt going to help your case my friend ...

I would say take a pinch of salt with most of the Anti-french replies. This is after hours after all ;)

The same jokes would be used if the letter was from an italian or spanish (the validity of the letter is questionable) writer.

be cool

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I seriously doubt he was being serious. It was a light hearted replyso you should probably calm down a little.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

i am from Brittany myself and I can guarantee you that most of the French tourist in Ireland would be from there (Thats why Ryanair has a route direct to Nantes now actually) for the simple reason that they LOVE Ireland :D

Nantes... in Brittany? That's a whole other boîte de vers right there :P

Nantes... in Brittany? That's a whole other boîte de vers right there :P

Raynair was also doing Dinard (in Britanny) - Dublin but stopped it. Where in my post do you see Nantes is in Brittany?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Ghiertal, I also thought it reeked of 'fake', and I've seen many posts suggesting that also. I've been all over Europe, and I've never met anyone who gave two damns about Ireland, let alone knew the first thing about the place.

I find it really annoying the way some newspapers publish letters from anonymous contributors. Open to abuse, as you pointed out. If someone is willing to contribute to a discussion through the national media, I think they should be willing to stand over their arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

This letter looks familiar, I swear somebody has posted a rant similar to it on AH over the last few years. Harping on about how we think everyone loves us but really hates us etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Unpossible wrote: »
    This letter looks familiar, I swear somebody has posted a rant similar to it on AH over the last few years. Harping on about how we think everyone loves us but really hates us etc...

Keep an eye out on the letter's page for the inevitable "Yore Ma" or "I for one welcome our Ireland hating French overlords" response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Maybe the letter was written by darkman2 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

No, that's proving right most of her points silly billy.

I am french folks, all i can say is that this article is a pile of crap, none of what she says is in my view true and I have been living here for 10 years now.....

She is just a lost soul, let her rant and go back to boring France ;)

I have to say - some of what "she" says however is cringing because deep down we know part of it is true! I'm glad you Zeroy, have found most of what she said to be rubbish but I must say in all the years I'm with my French boyfriend I have been horrified at how some people have spoken to him and how many of the Irish cliques in the places he has worked have completely shut him out and not even said "Good Morning" when he came into work. I come across this Irish "click mentality " myself in a new company so I can only imagine what it's like for a "foreigner" as some would term him. He just accepts now that Irish are not friendly with anyone but their own and even then you have to be related to so and so in some way. No outsiders welcome.

Saying that, I have a lot of French acquaintances that I wish I could deport for all the moaning they do about this country, but the old saying "grass is always greener" is all thats about.

Land of the 100,000 welcomes is dead a long time ago and it's only when you see it through the eyes of a "non-national" that you truly see how we are sometimes.

PS: Some of the posts here don't help us in any way at all. Real neanderthal stuff.

PPS: Wasn't Brittany was trying to gain independance some years ago from France?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Observe two things: This is the After Hours forum. The tongue smilie at the end of my post.

Now realise that I was (mainly) taking the piss, although continental Europe is increasingly ****ting upon enlighthenment values.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I shared an apartment with a chick from Brittany some years back. At first she seemed friendly but within a week or two her true colors emerged. She would return from work in the evening, slam the front door, walk straight past me without even saying hello and go into her room for the night.

Whenever she returned from the supermarket she would take her shopping into her room, stash it somewhere and cook when I went to bed. I had to go into her room one day to retrieve some kitchen implement and saw a stash of junk food under the bed and dirty dishes strewn everywhere.

She turned out to be a nightmare and had the quirkiest habits which were most annoying. I started dating a girl and it wasn't long before the claws came out. It culminated in a hissy fit one night with abuse being fired at myself and my Australian girlfriend in French.

I gave her a week to find a new place and couldn't wait to see the back of her. She seriously put me off French people for years. Whatever about French people being cultured is a load of tosh because my experience of French people (I've been there five times) is that they have a false sense of superiority and are extremely rude for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

dSTAR wrote: »
    I shared an apartment with a chick from Brittany some years back. At first she seemed friendly but within a week or two her true colors emerged. She would return from work in the evening, slam the front door, walk straight past me without even saying hello and go into her room for the night.

Whenever she returned from the supermarket she would take her shopping into her room, stash it somewhere and cook when I went to bed. I had to go into her room one day to retrieve some kitchen implement and saw a stash of junk food under the bed and dirty dishes strewn everywhere.

She turned out to be a nightmare and had the quirkiest habits which were most annoying. I started dating a girl and it wasn't long before the claws came out. It culminated in a hissy fit one night with abuse being fired at myself and my Australian girlfriend in French.

I gave her a week to find a new place and couldn't wait to see the back of her. She seriously put me off French people for years. Whatever about French people being cultured is a load of tosh because my experience of French people (I've been there five times) is that they have a false sense of superiority and are extremely rude for the most part.
    try going more and not generalising due to a bad experience. i suggest trying different areas. I'm going again in december for my fifth time there this year, and i get on great with the local people, mostly because i dont try and impose myself on them, rather work around what they're accustomed to. not that I'm accusing you of doing any different, but its obvious from some posts on here that some do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Lads, do you think we should let this thread die?

I reckon the French wan who wrote this is getting a great laugh at our responses. The slag!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

IMO letter was a fake, and yes, i was pissed this thread was bumped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

zuroph wrote: »
    IMO letter was a fake, and yes, i was pissed this thread was bumped
    I think that the letter is genuine but it is quite obviously the ramblings of a crazy woman.

This French lady would be far better living with cats instead because she has a major French fry on her shoulder and doesn't deserve an Irish husband.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Ribbit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

Anyway, I doubt there is a more loathed people in the world then the French, not that I particurly dislike them.
    We may be the laughingstock of the civilised world, but paradoxically we are simultaneously quite loved, admired and even envied. All you need as a Frenchman when adventuring in the outside world is a good sense of self-derision, cling on to your accent and everything is all-right!

And I love rants like that Frenchwoman's, they try to expose something for what they think it really is but all they end up doing is exposing the true nature of themselves with everything that's wrong with them and their lives. Although I must admit her mastering of English is very unfrench-like! It's bound to be a troll, no true French person has such a high opinion of France.
    It is rather amusing to read a French person defend the Germans. Do they not teach French History pre-1946 in France?
    We are very forgiving people. Or sworn enemies of yester-millennium are our best friends of today.

Although I must admit that I'm no fan or Irish accents. On the other hand I've been to various regions of England and they're no better over there. Stephen Fry's accent is the only English accent I really like. That's actually what we expect from English people, only to be confused and disappointed when hear consonants of Elephantman-esque deformity.
    Solair wrote: »
    You also have to realise that there's an elite in France that tried to abolish regional accents and did abolish regional languages like Longue D'Oc spoken in the south/southwest of France.

They systematically tried to wipe out the use of Breton and Basque only accepting that they could be subjects in school in recent years.
    Well, to us it's not all bad as it sounds. My grandfather spoke nothing but Breton until he was about 9 (over a hundred years ago, yeah we have long generations in my family), which was about the time the evil elites in Paris decided everybody should speak French. Fast forward a bucketful of decades later and we don't speak Breton, we speak perfect French with the same impeccable accent the fancy people of Paris have, we do even better at school and none of us gives a crap about Breton anyway.

What I'm saying is, abandoning an archaic and irrelevant language is no big loss. Sure, our grandparents are the last people who speak it fluently and in 20 years there won't be any of them left, but on the upside we're set on a foot of equality with the rest of our fellow countrymen by not having to drag along the burden of a dying language. And that's what really matters. Only a handful of druid-like hippies care and try to teach Breton at school, but there really isn't any point to it. Not that we mind having bilingual road signs, but we can't be arsed to learn it and don't see why we should.
    nij wrote: »
    Not French IMO.

How could a French woman differentiate the different Irish accents from all the different English accents? Especially when they themselves tend to have such heavy accents while speaking English.
    Amen to that. There's only a few accents I can tell apart, typically the ones at extremes of the spectrum, like, I can recognise an accent from the American South/Midwest or I can recognise the Queen's accent, that's about it. You can be from Dublin, Liverpool or Newcastle, I won't know. I've even misidentified some Irish people's accent (or lack of a strong accent, that's what got me) as American.
    Will wrote: »
    So yeah, who's on for invading France with me?
    You go, I'll take care of Ireland while you do that. ;)
    forbairt wrote: »
    My experience in Brittany has been that the Irish are in fact loved.
    Well of course we do! We're both Celts! And unlike the British you guys don't despise us :).
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    I went to school with a French guy. He told us that he was the son of a count. After a while of putting up with his tantrums, we assumed that he was also a count, but wondered whether it was possible to have a pair of counts in the same family.
    Don't worry, we don't take kindly to those types either. Sales nobles!
    Nolanger wrote: »
    What do you expect from a culture and a nation that exerted more of its national will fighting against Disney World and Big Macs than the Nazis?
    Dennis Miller
    Ha, I didn't know that more than 114,600 Frenchmen died fighting off American cultural products. Must be one of those things they omitted to teach us at school.
    Having spent this year in the company of many a Québecois, i must say that i liked very few of them. In fact, i found them all to be very rude, i'd go far as to say they were a bunch of dick heads.

I can't even begin to believe what real French people are like:)
    Don't worry, we hate them too. They're very much our laughingstock. That's payback for Céline Dion and Roch Voisine.
    Solair wrote: »
    My experiences of racism in France were pretty terrifying. A friend of ours was from North Africa and he would be refused entry from bars, clubs etc. The police would just randomly stop him on the street up to 4 times a night, throw him against the nearest wall and search him, demand ID etc.
    It was totally ridiculous and grossly unfair and racist.
    Yep, not only is it true and common, we all know about that, we're not really blind to it, we either accept it with fatalism while condemning it or justify by claims of reverse racism (which, in ghettos are unfortunately true) or claim they're all thieves and thugs. Can't go to a club, can't find a flat, can't find a job, and all the kinds of police we have will ask to see your papers any chance they can, which for a lot of people is at least a daily occurrence. If you're African, don't move to France, pick Canada if you really must speak French.
    No it isn't. The French are - in comparison to 100 years ago - increasingly irrelevent on the world stage. No empire, no power
    Blame decolonisation :pac:.
    davyjose wrote: »
    I've been to brittany; it's fùcking shìte.
    Where'd you go? If you went anywhere inland then amen to that!
    Poccington wrote: »
    Bloody surrender monkeys.
    Give the man a medal. For originality :D
    Nolanger wrote: »
    Je suis Francais, ne tirez pas, j'abandonne!
    I think you're looking for "je me rends!". lrn2surrender.
    passive wrote: »
    err... yeah... The Irish army would totally kick France's ass... surrender... cheese... rabble rabble..
    You can't mess with us when you're surrounded by our surrender-powered submarines and their nuclear ballistic missiles of surrender :D. No one wants to see this island ending up looking like a big piece of glow-in-the-dark Swiss cheese.
    slipss wrote: »
    Ahhh what a crock of steaming bullsh1t. "Theres a real 'proud to be irish' mentality in a lot of Irish people". Do you really believe you can't swap the word Irish for French
    We may be arrogant, we may think we're the best, but proud? Why would anyone want to be proud of being French? :D Actually I'm not just joking, I can't think of anyone in France who'd claim any national pride. We're not exactly the front porch flag-flying type. We're actually the kind to boo our own national anthem (true story).
    Dan133269 wrote: »
    In my experience it is the French that think Ireland is part of the UK and some even thinking Ireland is a city within the UK, ireland is only about 30 minutes away from france, wexford to calais by plane.
    I've actually been advised by a Frenchman to go to Ireland by train. In the defence of French people, that one guy was particularly ignorant and dumb.
    PORNAPSTER wrote: »
    Wow... The French are so perfect aren't they? :rolleyes:
    Why thanks for noticing! :D

Sorry for inflicting such an endless comment upon you. That's what you get for spouting the same old "surrender surrender" drivel. I mean come on, we did it only once, and we nearly executed the traitor who did it when prior to that he was like our favourite national hero. Really, he was on death row, but at the last minute the executioner surrendered to him (a reflex perhaps?) and so we let him live the rest of his days in a nice quiet place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Typical French.... takes you a year to come back against something. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Typical French.... takes you a year to come back against something. :D

Somezing said...not good....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

C'est pas trop tot.

Allez les blue. :D

Yeah, took me some time alright. I was just browsing the "threads that won't die" tag. Well, this one was already a bit cold when I got here, but it was awesome enough to warrant some revivification.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

A_SN wrote: »
    That's actually what we expect from English people, only to be confused and disappointed when hear consonants of Elephantman-esque deformity.
    Lols, superb.

Aidric wrote: »
    Lols, superb.
    Crap I actually meant vowels. I always confuse the two, as I do with left and right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I remember reading once about a tourist survey carried out by the French tourist board (or whatever they're called). The survey found that most other nationalities loved France. They would just prefer that the French didn't live there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

A_SN wrote: »
    We may be the laughingstock of the civilised world, but paradoxically we are simultaneously quite loved, admired and even envied. All you need as a Frenchman when adventuring in the outside world is a good sense of self-derision, cling on to your accent and everything is all-right!

And I love rants like that Frenchwoman's, they try to expose something for what they think it really is but all they end up doing is exposing the true nature of themselves with everything that's wrong with them and their lives. Although I must admit her mastering of English is very unfrench-like! It's bound to be a troll, no true French person has such a high opinion of France.

We are very forgiving people. Or sworn enemies of yester-millennium are our best friends of today.

Although I must admit that I'm no fan or Irish accents. On the other hand I've been to various regions of England and they're no better over there. Stephen Fry's accent is the only English accent I really like. That's actually what we expect from English people, only to be confused and disappointed when hear consonants of Elephantman-esque deformity.

Well, to us it's not all bad as it sounds. My grandfather spoke nothing but Breton until he was about 9 (over a hundred years ago, yeah we have long generations in my family), which was about the time the evil elites in Paris decided everybody should speak French. Fast forward a bucketful of decades later and we don't speak Breton, we speak perfect French with the same impeccable accent the fancy people of Paris have, we do even better at school and none of us gives a crap about Breton anyway.

What I'm saying is, abandoning an archaic and irrelevant language is no big loss. Sure, our grandparents are the last people who speak it fluently and in 20 years there won't be any of them left, but on the upside we're set on a foot of equality with the rest of our fellow countrymen by not having to drag along the burden of a dying language. And that's what really matters. Only a handful of druid-like hippies care and try to teach Breton at school, but there really isn't any point to it. Not that we mind having bilingual road signs, but we can't be arsed to learn it and don't see why we should.

Amen to that. There's only a few accents I can tell apart, typically the ones at extremes of the spectrum, like, I can recognise an accent from the American South/Midwest or I can recognise the Queen's accent, that's about it. You can be from Dublin, Liverpool or Newcastle, I won't know. I've even misidentified some Irish people's accent (or lack of a strong accent, that's what got me) as American.

You go, I'll take care of Ireland while you do that. ;)

Well of course we do! We're both Celts! And unlike the British you guys don't despise us :).

Don't worry, we don't take kindly to those types either. Sales nobles!

Ha, I didn't know that more than 114,600 Frenchmen died fighting off American cultural products. Must be one of those things they omitted to teach us at school.

Don't worry, we hate them too. They're very much our laughingstock. That's payback for Céline Dion and Roch Voisine.

Yep, not only is it true and common, we all know about that, we're not really blind to it, we either accept it with fatalism while condemning it or justify by claims of reverse racism (which, in ghettos are unfortunately true) or claim they're all thieves and thugs. Can't go to a club, can't find a flat, can't find a job, and all the kinds of police we have will ask to see your papers any chance they can, which for a lot of people is at least a daily occurrence. If you're African, don't move to France, pick Canada if you really must speak French.

Blame decolonisation :pac:.

Where'd you go? If you went anywhere inland then amen to that!

Give the man a medal. For originality :D

I think you're looking for "je me rends!". lrn2surrender.

You can't mess with us when you're surrounded by our surrender-powered submarines and their nuclear ballistic missiles of surrender :D. No one wants to see this island ending up looking like a big piece of glow-in-the-dark Swiss cheese.

We may be arrogant, we may think we're the best, but proud? Why would anyone want to be proud of being French? :D Actually I'm not just joking, I can't think of anyone in France who'd claim any national pride. We're not exactly the front porch flag-flying type. We're actually the kind to boo our own national anthem (true story).

I've actually been advised by a Frenchman to go to Ireland by train. In the defence of French people, that one guy was particularly ignorant and dumb.

Why thanks for noticing! :D

Sorry for inflicting such an endless comment upon you. That's what you get for spouting the same old "surrender surrender" drivel. I mean come on, we did it only once, and we nearly executed the traitor who did it when prior to that he was like our favourite national hero. Really, he was on death row, but at the last minute the executioner surrendered to him (a reflex perhaps?) and so we let him live the rest of his days in a nice quiet place.

why did you wait a year and 6 days to make that GIANT reply?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

All I can say is, God help the poor bugger she is married to.

Advertisement