Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods doin their job correctly

Options
  • 21-09-2008 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭

Right so after i posted in the " Bad beat/Moan/Venting and general off topic thread + Boast/Wow,lol posts. " in the poker forum, i was told to post here if i have a problem so here goes:

Mod:
    lafortezza wrote: »
    If you have problem with the mods then whine on Feedback or Helpdesk.
    An admin and the mods asked people to stay on topic and so on in that particular thread, people decided to ignore them, and continue talking ****. If it's a problem getting banned from an internet forum for a couple of days then maybe try not to take it all so seriously.

Now i'm not whining, i was just making an observation (will i get an apology, probably not)

A number of posters were banned for going off topic, which i have no problem wit but when a mod gives the following reason for banning someone:

"EDIT: Following complaints I've also banned Conbro for a week for off topic posting."

Its gets to be a joke, as i could say hey this person is constanely going off topic ban him.

If one looks in the poker forum, people are constantly going off topic regarding the title of the thread, so if i request someone to be banned - will they, of course not,

Also - as i gerneral observation, could someone tell me who changed the name of the bad beat section to include "and general off topic thread"
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I highly doubt that the mods pick a user based on the number of complaints. They take the complaint on board, look into the matter and if agree - take the appropriate action. In this case, it seems one poster was overlooked and others pointed it out - hence the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

What is the mod's job - do receive complaints and then look into it ????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Now i'm not whining, i was just making an observation (will i get an apology, probably not)
    Exactly what do you want an apology for?? :confused:

FWIW, This is the thread that the OP is referring to.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055378889

As you can see there was a warning from DeVore, KevIRL and a final warning from me that any further off topic posting would result in a ban. People posted OT and were banned. The complaints he's referring to was people giving out about double standards and favoritism relating to Conbro, who was infracted for back seat modding instead of being banned, so that decision was changed to a ban to remain consistent.

But considering when Ace2007 was asked by another poster what the ban was for he replied with this:
    i have absolutely no idea, something to do with the " Assistant Live Updater Required For Killarney Festival " thread i think,
    So I presume he hasn't even read the thread and is just another "fight the powa" poster. I find it best to know what you are talking about when making comments.

Also FWIW. The week long bans have since been commuted to 3 days.
    If one looks in the poker forum, people are constantly going off topic regarding the title of the thread, so if i request someone to be banned - will they, of course not,
    The Poker forum is more liberal than many other forums and we allow a certain amount of OT posting in some fun threads and the likes, it's part of what makes the forum what it is, many posters know each other IRL and it's the atmosphere of the forum that has been built up over the years, but there are certain threads and topics that we may feel need stronger direction, and so we give warnings that must be followed, for example the Theory forums don't allow OT posting, but the main forum is slightly more lenient. If someone goes against these warnings then they get banned.
    Also - as i gerneral observation, could someone tell me who changed the name of the bad beat section to include "and general off topic thread"
    Why does this matter? I don't see what point you're trying to make here.
    What is the mod's job - do receive complaints and then look into it ????
    And yes Ace2007, that is our job, on top of anything we might notice ourselves, we also receive many reported posts, PM's etc. about issues and we then look into them and act accordingly, exactly what did you think we did around here and what the Report Post button was for?? Do you expect us to read every single post in every single thread in every single forum and sub-forum we moderate?

Its gets to be a joke, as i could say hey this person is constanely going off topic ban him.
    Also, you could try, doesn't mean you'll succeed.

Ste05 wrote: »
    So I presume he hasn't even read the thread and is just another "fight the powa" poster. I find it best to know what you are talking about when making comments.

Also FWIW. The week long bans have since been commuted to 3 days.

fyi, i had read the thread and didn't see any good reason why he was banned compared to what others have done in the past and gotten away with.

Also as a matter of interes, if they were given warnings etc, then fair enough give time week long bans - but why reduce them - was this because of an uproar among other boards posters?

• Advertisement

fyi, i had read the thread and didn't see any good reason why he was banned compared to what others have done in the past and gotten away with.
    Links please.
    Also as a matter of interes, if they were given warnings etc, then fair enough
    If???

Did you actually read the thread??

Ok ste05 there are loads of cases where people have been involved in rows, tbh i was surprised the conbro wasn't banned earlier for a different thread which got way out of hand.

but lets just leave it, i only started a thread here casue i was told if i wanted to post about it to go here and not in the bad beat section,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Horse, most of the Mods here are weak chined nerds, so if you post here expecting sympathy and genuine concern-forget it.

What you will most likely get is smart comments backed up by other equally weak chinned jerks who will wear you out eventually.

So take my advice,don't bother your bollix posting here, it's a honey pot for jerks who have a bit of power and little or no feeling for the average poster.

Just my observation- may not be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You ignored a warning from one of the admins and are now complaining ?

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You ignored a warning from one of the admins and are now complaining ?

obv u didn't read what i said, i was not involved in any of the issues, just that alot of posters said it was unfair for a said poster to be banned and that somone else wasnt - result other poster was banned, more uproared ensured and then everyone got bans reduced - doesn't seem like a bull proof system... who shouts loudess wins...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

fight the powah

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It seems like a system where someone, despite repeated warnings, ignored stuff, then mods acted according to the rules, banned someone, banned someone else after a complaint was reviewed, then after people said it was harsh, reconsidered.

If people never reconsidered or acted upon rules or complaints then it definitely would be anarchy and/or more unfair.

Do you want to see stricter enforcement of the rules Ace?

Also, I hope you do realise that this is not an exact science and that mods of a forum do not think with a hive mind and that is why people mod differently within forums, somewhat at least.

Ok so you are complaining that bans were reduced when people cooled down and the situation was reviewed, surely that is a good thing ?

As for unfairness, life is not fair, most kids have figured that out by the time they are 10.
    People get bans based on them breaking the rules and thier behaviour not anyone elses.

If two people break the rules in the same way in the same thread one can get a warning the other a ban.

This would be due to the person getting the warning committing a first offence and the person who got banned having a history of previous bans and/or warning in the forum.

There is usually more to a situation then the average poster sees and this has already had an admins invovled and they are the highest authority here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

God damn it, don't you know you're meant ot believe the same thing on Friday you believed on Monday no matter what happened on the days in between?

Tell that to that guy who went on a road trip to Damascus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Boston wrote: »
    God damn it, don't you know you're meant ot believe the same thing on Friday you believed on Monday no matter what happened on the days in between?

That simple approach to life keeps me sane in a world of insanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Tell that to that guy who went on a road trip to Damascus.

Is this the road trip where he met death?

Daithi, the voices in your head are lying to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Boston wrote: »

Daithi, the voices in your head are lying to you.

They do that a lot. Some times I outsmarts them, other times they me.

But most of the time we just tell jokes to each other and have a laugh at life.

Advertisement