Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thistles in the lawn

Options
  • 21-09-2008 2:48pm

I have recently sown a new lawn (more like a small meadow) of 1 acre, one of the problems I have is that it's been taken over by a large number of thistles, some sections have more than 100 per square metre.

Any suggestions on how to clear them for next year, or at least reduce them without ruining the grass.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Thistles have long tap roots and all of the root must be removed to prevent the plant returning. Also do this before it sets seed. just pull/dig them up by hand. unfortunatly this may result in bare patches of grass but if you sow some more seed - especially at this time of year, the bare spots will dissappear within a couple of weeks.
    I don't think that a general weed killer / lawn fertiliser would be the way to go here if your trying top create a meadow.

newbie2 wrote: »
    I don't think that a general weed killer / lawn fertiliser would be the way to go here if your trying top create a meadow.

I'm not really trying to create a meadow (just refering to the size of it;) )
    would a "feed/weed" work on thistles?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

With more than 100 per sq metre you might be better spraying them rather than using a weed and feed. I am pretty sure that Verdone works on thistles. You should be able to pick it up in most garden centres.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

no joking here, pour some salt right in the middle of the thistle. don't get any on the grass. but make a little heap in the very middle of the thistle. my grandfather told me to do this with the thistles on my lawn during the summer and i swear you could see the thistles blacken within an hour or two, couple of days all gone. no problems with bare patches, the grass filled back in and no thistles now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

ShowAndGo wrote: »
    With more than 100 per sq metre you might be better spraying them rather than using a weed and feed. I am pretty sure that Verdone works on thistles. You should be able to pick it up in most garden centres.
    I've used Verdone with success. Just spot spray on the thistles only.

• Advertisement
Advertisement