Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get your products stocked

Options
  • 21-09-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

So, I have all the formalities of setting up my business, both legal and financial done, and am ready to go making sales. Basically my business is wholesale, within the sports industry. I have a catalogue of about 50 products which are not currently available through wholesale/distribution channels within Ireland. I have a deal done with a company in the US, and another supplier in Germany to supply these products, and pricing has all been agreed etc.

What I am wondering is, (as this area has always been my downfall), how do I start drumming up business and getting retailers to stock my product line? I have a couple of contacts within the industry, and these will obviously be my starting point, but I am interested to learn from anyone's experience of B2B/Wholeselling.

All info/advice greatly appreciated!

Apologies if this should be in the Marketing fourm, but I think it might be better suited to here, however Mods feel free to move.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Have a catalogue site, ring small retailers throughtout the country. Let them know what you got. Get their email addy. Make a login for them on the catalogue site. Make one or two offers every once in a while, and then send them out by email.

Look into making a high quality catalogue like Viking Direct, and get business cards printed. Don't be afraid to hop in a car, and drive to a small independent outlet, and negociate. Do bulk discounts, and ask each retailer that you are talking to "What are your problems?", "What are your most requested items", etc. and play the fiddle to them. Keep them happy.

It's really a matter of getting yourself out there and presenting yourself correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

nevf wrote: »
    Have a catalogue site, ring small retailers throughtout the country. Let them know what you got. Get their email addy. Make a login for them on the catalogue site. Make one or two offers every once in a while, and then send them out by email.

Look into making a high quality catalogue like Viking Direct, and get business cards printed. Don't be afraid to hop in a car, and drive to a small independent outlet, and negociate. Do bulk discounts, and ask each retailer that you are talking to "What are your problems?", "What are your most requested items", etc. and play the fiddle to them. Keep them happy.

It's really a matter of getting yourself out there and presenting yourself correctly.

Thanks for the advice. In terms of a payment structure, is 30 day credit the most standard method of doing business, or is sale on return used much? The reason I ask is I find many retailers may not be willing to take an initial risk in placing an order and handing over hard earned money.

Advertisement