Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aren't the new admission procedures for medincine delicious

Options
  • 21-09-2008 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I have no interest in medicine but i'm sure the aptitude will root out all the hermit, sad locked up people who get 9,000 A1's and have no soul or social capability !

Root Out the Soulless!!!

agree, disagree ?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Yes, I agree with the new system.

But, I am happier for the people who get the '9,000 A1's' in the sense that they no longer have to spend that ridiculous amount of work on the bloody LC and can have a more balanced life. Less stress too which is an excellent thing.

And yes, to a lesser extent, we should have a better 'customer care' service among doctors in our hospitals. They will be people who actually want to be doctors and enjoy their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I don't see why a hermit would want to be a doctor, and I don't think the test's purpose is to weed out socially retarded people, and it certainly won't do that.

It's good though in that people can no longer meet matriculation requirements, perform well in six humanities subject the following year and get into medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Eternaldream

i couldnt be happier with it!! :D

Having wanted to do medicine since forever, this new system finally gives people a real chance..

its a perfect balance between the perfect all A1 student who might have a terrible bedside manner and those who want to do medicine but might not be able to handle the workload..

im very happy with it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

decdec456 wrote: »
    I have no interest in medicine but i'm sure the aptitude will root out all the hermit, sad locked up people who get 9,000 A1's and have no soul or social capability !

Root Out the Soulless!!!

agree, disagree ?????

I agree with the new system but I disagree that the aptitude test will "root out all the hermit, sad locked up people who get 9,000 A1's and have no soul or social capability"

If you can play the LC, you can play the HPAT.

Oh also anyone I know who has done medicine (ok like 2 or 3 people) has been well-rounded and normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I love the way everyone including the people who "have no interest in medicine" seem to have an opinion on how the selection for medical school should or should not work. Quite amusing really.

• Advertisement

Is it wrong for them to care about how our future health professionals are selected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

more delish if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Piste wrote: »
    Is it wrong for them to care about how our future health professionals are selected?

Most of our "future health professionals" will be from Asia. A large proportion of Irish graduates head off to Canada, Australia, NZ, USA where work conditions are better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

USA conditions better than Ireland? Doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

USA conditions better than Ireland? Doubt it.

They'd get paid a lot more because it's a private health system over there

• Advertisement

I agree with the new system but I disagree that the aptitude test will "root out all the hermit, sad locked up people who get 9,000 A1's and have no soul or social capability"

If you can play the LC, you can play the HPAT.
    True, but there will also be a higher percentage of people who ar very passionate about medicine and are well rounded individuals getting into medicine, who couldn't get the points in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

They should completely drop all courses in medicine.

Sure it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

i think it's great, might stop people from doing just so they can say they's doing medicine and to let people know they got 600 points

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Mark200 wrote: »
    They'd get paid a lot more because it's a private health system over there

The working conditions aren't really better, private healthcare may seem like a good system because they get paid more, but it kinda takes the soul out of medicine.

(Also the compo culture over there means anything goes wrong yer fúcked)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Why the fcuk do people think that students who to do really well in the Leaving cert have no life? Granted, the prospect of getting a maximum of 600 CAO points would seem impossible to some applicants, however, many students, and I'm only being honest, find it as a small personal challenge that could be easily attained with a small bit of hard work coming up to the exams. So much for these supernerds that ye seem to think of when you imagine what med students look like.

Truth of the matter: 1st year med students, great bunch of people, act the bolox and get into trouble. 2 guys nearly got kicked out of their on campus accomodation because they set off the fire alarms at half 4 in the morning and everyone had to be evacuated.
    Had so much fun on class trip, stayed in a hostel in Eyre Square, stayed up late, drinking and singing, and ended up loosing deposits for 'annoyance caused'. Probably go out more than any other course. Every morning students crawl into 9 o'clock lectures at half nine stinking of beer from the previous night, some people mightn't make it in til 12 :rolleyes:

However, in a serious lecture requiring alot of thought, they are able to focus and take valuable notes during the few minutes of the lecture they make. Probably head to a cafe or on-campus restaurant with friends for lunch, and laugh over last night's antics, and how john never made it to lectures today cos he was too sick!

After you make it through the final booring lecture of the day, get the bus home to sleep for a few hours, and get up, maybe have a quick look over the lecture(s) you missed during the day, and either meet up with friends to see the latest movie in cineworld, or plan another night on the town.

Regardless of all this, most people managed to do quite well in the summer exams. They have mastered the art of taking exams, and know, better than all to work hard, play harder.....

Can you honestly tell me that the HPAT will stop the total nerds getting into medicine? Damn it, we could do with some nerds in medicine, someone has to be a good influence on the rest of us. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

sd123 wrote: »
    Truth of the matter: 1st year med students, great bunch of people, act the bolox and get into trouble. 2 guys nearly got kicked out of their on campus accomodation because they set off the fire alarms at half 4 in the morning and everyone had to be evacuated.

Oh wow, they are so cool. Are ya sure they're 1st year med students and not 9 year olds with autism? Hmm, could it be both?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

i agree it's an improvement but i don't think it's enough. In reality people will still have to aim for 550 or over to qualify. People underestimate the amount of people that will be applying for medicine when the new system comes in!

amacachi wrote: »
    Oh wow, they are so cool. Are ya sure they're 1st year med students and not 9 year olds with autism? Hmm, could it be both?

No, they were obviously a pair of retards, but my point was that they're certainly not nerds, and furthermore, it really doesn't matter what the application procedure for any course is, you are still going to get a very widely mixed group of people. This CANNOT be avoided. Care to disagree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭decdec456

so true :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭decdec456

Why the fcuk do people think that students who to do really well in the Leaving cert have no life? Granted, the prospect of getting a maximum of 600 CAO points would seem impossible to some applicants, however, many students, and I'm only being honest, find it as a small personal challenge that could be easily attained with a small bit of hard work coming up to the exams. So much for these supernerds that ye seem to think of when you imagine what med students look like.

Had so much fun on class trip, stayed in a hostel in Eyre Square, stayed up late, drinking and singing, and ended up loosing deposits for 'annoyance caused'. Probably go out more than any other course. Every morning students crawl into 9 o'clock lectures at half nine stinking of beer from the previous night, some people mightn't make it in til 12 :rolleyes:

However, in a serious lecture requiring alot of thought, they are able to focus and take valuable notes during the few minutes of the lecture they make. Probably head to a cafe or on-campus restaurant with friends for lunch, and laugh over last night's antics, and how john never made it to lectures today cos he was too sick!

After you make it through the final booring lecture of the day, get the bus home to sleep for a few hours, and get up, maybe have a quick look over the lecture(s) you missed during the day, and either meet up with friends to see the latest movie in cineworld, or plan another night on the town.

Regardless of all this, most people managed to do quite well in the summer exams. They have mastered the art of taking exams, and know, better than all to work hard, play harder.....

Can you honestly tell me that the HPAT will stop the total nerds getting into medicine? Damn it, we could do with some nerds in medicine, someone has to be a good influence on the rest of us. :)

well excuse yourself for going off the point

I never used the word "Supernerd" and trust me when I say i know people who will get the 580+ and are could be fantastic doctors

It's just from my knowledge and what i have seen that people plop it up there choice number 1 on the CAO form simply because it's the "Best possible result they could get so lets aim high for it even though we have no real heart for it"

There are lovely caring nerds out there who have the all round brains and bedside manner to make doctors

I am just saying that this test WILL root out some inert pieces of sad rubbish who will not make great doctors and the health system in what ever country they work will be better for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No, they were obviously a pair of retards, but my point was that they're certainly not nerds, and furthermore, it really doesn't matter what the application procedure for any course is, you are still going to get a very widely mixed group of people. This CANNOT be avoided. Care to disagree?

Very roundabout way to make that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

our country's health service is proud to call them doctors

think of that when your in hospital

or ever wonder where MRSA came from^^^hmmmm?:D

but ya it's great now if only vet med was the same:mad:

Very roundabout way to make that point.

Meh, quickly:

First point Very few nerds in medicine, more wasters than anything.

second point: An extra exam is not going to keep super geeks or wasters out, nor is it going to make sure people with the best bedside manner get in.

Meh, quickly:

First point Very few nerds in medicine, more wasters than anything.

This has me worried!

*avoids all Irish hospitals*

May I just add that everyone who gets 6A1s is not a nerd. Some are, the majority are not in my humble opinion.

And yes, the problem with the health service is the 'wasters' in administration and not the bed-side manners of the hard working doctors and nurses, who are especially under appreciated.

This has me worried!

*avoids all Irish hospitals*

Well, it's true. They do know their stuff at the end of the year though, and do well in exams. (the pass rate alone is 50%) It is yet to be seen how/if these people will change when they get their degree though. But contrary to what ye said about nerds, the question I most often ask myself is how did such wasters do so well in their LC. It's astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

stayed up late

this made me lol

Well they'd better get used to late nights.

That's the one thing really putting me off becoming a doctor, I dont work well between 11pm and 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Woah, woah, woah - set off the fire alarms? That is mental. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Woah, woah, woah - set off the fire alarms? That is mental. :rolleyes:

Yea... real mental :cool: But the reason I made that post was because I hate people thinking we're all supernerds with no life. Guess what, we're ACTUALLY not much different from every other student. (im sure you for one knows that :D)

We're going way off topic here, and I guess it's mainly my fault. So, regarding the new admission proceducre the truth of the matter is that it won't change anything. I'm very doubtful that any student that gets 480 will get in, nor do I think that a 600 points student will fall down much on an extra exam. The truth of what happens will be seen in Aug 2009, and I will look from a distance with interest.

I do however very much doubt that when I'm in third year and I look at the new '09 1st years there'll be any difference between them, and my own class who applied with the conventional CAO system alone.

Advertisement