Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knee Jerk come on in!! Berbatov is the question

• 21-09-2008 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭

Ok I know very little about him, I never bothered with watching spurs, but we are all led to believe he is a star from his time at spurs. But since the two games I have seen I am not impressed one bit, he seems extremely lazy, slow, does literally sod all. He had good assist at the Pool.

This is a lovely shiny Kneejerk thread so bask in the shine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

He was only good because of Keane...FACT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Meh

Hardly gonna destroy Liverpool and Chelsea in their own backgardens in his 1st 2 games unless you're delluded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

But does that beg the question was Keane only good because of Berbatov.

Has Daniel Levy pulled a masterstroke here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He was only good because of Keane...FACT.

Did Keane play at Leverkusen? Must have missed that period in his career.

Oh yeah true that, but he does lazy and slow. Doesnt get stuck in either.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Did Keane play at Leverkusen? Must have missed that period in his career.
    Was he any good though at Bayer xavi?

Ok he was a better player because of Keane playing with him. Random chance meant the two suited each other very very well. Sort of like Yorke and Cole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Damn funny Masterstroke by Levi!

Berbs and Keane worked well as a unit, neither is actualy really needed by thier current clubs - 30 million and 20 million players who could end up spending a lot of time on the bench. Either that or keeping better players on the bench.

Mike.

Mr. X wrote: »
    Was he any good though at Bayer xavi?

69 goals in 154 games and a Champion League final would suggest that yes he was.

Levy a masterstroke?

Aren't Spurs bottom of the table?(well at this very moment anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Unearthly wrote: »
    Meh

Hardly gonna destroy Liverpool and Chelsea in their own backgardens in his 1st 2 games unless you're delluded

Why not? He's the most expensive striker in England.. surely you'd expect him to at least try!

Spurs really really really needed them, the two clubs didn't. Keane proved he didn't have what it takes to be at a big club, perhaps the expectation levels and Berbatov seems to be a player who plays to play for a bigger club, but really needs to be playing for a small team and being the most valued player or one of the most valued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

69 goals in 154 games and a Champion League final would suggest that yes he was.

I dont think we need to go down the road of using a cl final appearance (or win) as a judge of a players quality.

That particular arguement can be countered quite easily just by using the last 3 or so finals alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I've seen glimpses of him playinv very well at Spurs with and without Keane. They did say, though, that his fitness was well down on what Man U expected when they bought him.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The team is unbalanced now. Tevez is the best finisher at united. Rooney is the one that should be dropped.

Stekelly wrote: »
    I dont think we need to go down the road of using a cl final appearance (or win) as a judge of a players quality.

That particular arguement can be countered quite easily just by using the last 3 or so finals alone.

My point was Bayer were quite an unfancied side until the likes of Ballack, Ze Roberto and Berbatov joined and they became a force in both German and European football. Since those players left they've done relatively nothing.

He led the line superbly for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I don't even support United and can't wait for Berba to start scoring.

Jesus this threads is such bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

He hasnt be any stretch of the imagination set the world alight so far, he does look a tad sluggish alright.

But he was heavily involved in the 2 goals that United scored against their two biggest rivals...time will only tell. I'm content enough with him so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

SantryRed wrote: »
    Jesus this threads is such bollocks.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Have to say when berbatov starts scoring (and he will) lot of people going to look foolish slagging him off now. Same goes for Keane. Both are quality and will have a big impact at both clubs. If anyone is not worth 30m+ then that person is wayne rooney. Without doubt the most over rated,overhyped,next Pele etc.. player ever to play in the premiership. His goals per game record for a forward is frankly embarrassing.

• Advertisement

My negative opinion on Berbatov is because of the negative opinion of Keane on here. Honestly I couldn't care if Berbatov is good or bad, but if he's good then it brings more joy to football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

gixerfixer wrote: »
    If anyone is not worth 30m+ then that person is wayne rooney. Without doubt the most over rated,overhyped,next Pele etc.. player ever to play in the premiership. His goals per game record for a forward is frankly embarrassing.

He bugs me alot especially lately, but he's record past three seasons goals and assists combined aint that bad at all! He's only 22 also

My negative opinion on Berbatov is because of the negative opinion of Keane on here. Honestly I couldn't care if Berbatov is good or bad, but if he's good then it brings more joy to football.

Petty way to form an opinion tbh

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Have to say when berbatov starts scoring (and he will) lot of people going to look foolish slagging him off now. Same goes for Keane. Both are quality and will have a big impact at both clubs. If anyone is not worth 30m+ then that person is wayne rooney. Without doubt the most over rated,overhyped,next Pele etc.. player ever to play in the premiership. His goals per game record for a forward is frankly embarrassing.

Ah man you started off so well but then slagged off Rooney :(

Although Dunphys love for him is embarrassing to say the least

Unearthly wrote: »
    Ah man you started off so well but then slagged off Rooney :(

Although Dunphys love for him is embarrassing to say the least

Lol. Nah im not saying the guy is rubbish but compared to some of the greats Utd have had in the past he pails in comparision. Just mind boogling how he is regarded one the best players in the world. IMO opinion he isnt even one of the top 3 players at Man U. Ronaldo,Scholes and Tevez are all a step above him by a distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

My point was Bayer were quite an unfancied side until the likes of Ballack, Ze Roberto and Berbatov joined and they became a force in both German and European football. Since those players left they've done relatively nothing.

He led the line superbly for them.

In fairness Xavi, the year Bayer almost won the treble he mainly came off the bench for them, though he did net 9 goals in all competitons. I don't think I'd attribute Bayer's rise to his presence in the team tbh.

In fairness Xavi, the year Bayer almost won the treble he mainly came off the bench for them, though he did net 9 goals in all competitons. I don't think I'd attribute Bayer's rise to his presence in the team tbh.

He did play an important part though with his goals.

The point was made that Berbatov is nothing without Keane. That's clearly bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

he still scored some very important goals for them, particularly in the champions league.

I said that because people on here were saying Keane was nothing without Berbatov. Thats why I said 'FACT'

• Advertisement

Both Keane and Berbatov should be shipped off to Derby county..Thats their true level:rolleyes:

Nah, they can come to Watford please:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

He looks significantly slower than he did earlier on in his career and like Keane/Anelka etc he may have peaked.Still class, but Fergie payed over the odds imo.

he still scored some very important goals for them, particularly in the champions league.

He scored 2 in the CL, 1 in a 4-2 defeat to Lyon(group stages) and 1 in a 4-2 win against Liverpool (knock-out stages) The goal vs Liverpool gave Bayer a 3-2 agg lead at the time, but it took Lucio to score their 4th and cancel out Liverpool's 2nd of the night (to avoid defeat on away goals)

He scored 7 in domestic games, most from the bench but on only one occasion did he score a goal that changed a result for Bayer, in a 1-1 draw away to Dortmund.

Look, I'm not disputing his class (if anyone wants proof of what he is capable of, look at his performances on his own up front for Spurs vs Bolton and Man City when we were down to 10 men, in particular the City game as he was outstanding that night) but let's not start re-writing history, shall we?

Trilla wrote: »
    He hasnt be any stretch of the imagination set the world alight so far, he does look a tad sluggish alright.

I suspect his response to the drawn-out transfer saga affected his pre-season and it may be a month or so before United see the best of him.

Though he could never be described as industrious anyway...:D

Well in all fairness it's only his second start this season. All players are in flying form and he's only getting into the run of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

4q63w6.jpg

Sums up how I feel about some of the nonsense in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What I don't understand is why all the old addages of football are being forgotten.

Young players will make mistakes, thats how it is. 99.9999% of 22 year olds will not be consistant performers.

Players from foreign countries take time to get used to living abroad.

Players joining a new team take time to bed in.

These are 3 rules of football that will always apply. When it doesn't happen, they are the exception to the rule.

And even at that, I thought he's done ok so far. Provided us a different option, and got a nice assist against Liverpool and technically today against Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Some of the United fans in here make me lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He is a quality player. He is getting used to new surroundings and it takes each player a varying amount of time to settle down at a new club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Also hasn't helped him that Man Utd's midfield has been poor the past two games so he didn't actually get all that much of the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Will people stop jumping on keanes and berba's backs, give them a few games to settle in, once keane scores he will settle in id say so, and berba's had 2 hard opening games and isnt 100% fit. End Of.:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Barbatov is a class act and anyone who thinks otherwise, like the OP, needs to watch some spurs videos from last season.

Berbatov was never a workhorse. Neither was Van Nistelrooy. He wasn't bought to track back and run towards his own goal - Fergie deliberately bought him as Utd needed a target man who they can stick it up to.

Tevez & Rooney are similar players and when Utd aren't in possession they track back instinctively and get behind the ball. Berbatov is a refreshing option to have and although not performing yet, it's only a matter of time before himself and Utd in general start to kick it up a notch.

He got 3 bonus points today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Some of you people are seriously deluded... Shamelessly writing players off at such an early stage of the season... I had an encounter with a 'person' who felt (about 20mins after the game was over) Rooney should be reprimanded for the foul conceded that led to the Chelsea goal... Shocked....

Berbatov is without a doubt a world class player, the man exudes class and I honestly can't wait till he show's it. With the likes of Rooney and Tevez feeding off him, Man U have an attack that few in world football can rival...

If anyone asked if a score draw(@stamford bridge) would have been acceptable before kickoff, I'd have bit there arm off...

Good result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Think both Robbie and Berba are quality players.

1 thing though - people seem quick to accept that Berba is almost a luxury player (i.e. not renowned/expect to be Dirk Kuyt ish workhorse from the front). For 30 mil and god knows how much per week, is that acceptable from any professional footballer? Would it really detract that much from his game to close down opposition defenders? Imo for that money and those wages, the least any pro should be expected is to be super fit and to work hard with & without the ball. I dont think it should be any carte blanche 'luxury players' a la Ginola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Berbatov out! Sell him to Keane for 5 million in Jan!

smemon wrote: »
    Barbatov is a class act and anyone who thinks otherwise, like the OP, needs to watch some spurs videos from last season.

Berbatov was never a workhorse. Neither was Van Nistelrooy. He wasn't bought to track back and run towards his own goal - Fergie deliberately bought him as Utd needed a target man who they can stick it up to.

Tevez & Rooney are similar players and when Utd aren't in possession they track back instinctively and get behind the ball. Berbatov is a refreshing option to have and although not performing yet, it's only a matter of time before himself and Utd in general start to kick it up a notch.
    Ok let me re-iterate what I said:

Ok I know very little about him, I never bothered with watching spurs, but we are all led to believe he is a star from his time at spurs. But since the two games I have seen I am not impressed one bit, he seems extremely lazy, slow, does literally sod all. He had good assist at the Pool.

I am being honest in the fact I know very little about him from his spurs or Leverkusen days. For me in the past two games I havent seen anything that has impressed. But hence the thread is called kneejerk, I will admit I am being a bit premature, its early days and he is new but he just comes off as really lazy and slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

he is quite slow and extremely lazy.

but he has a rare touch of class about him occassionally-and has been known to bang in goals.

give him a chance and you'll see this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Think both Robbie and Berba are quality players.

1 thing though - people seem quick to accept that Berba is almost a luxury player (i.e. not renowned/expect to be Dirk Kuyt ish workhorse from the front). For 30 mil and god knows how much per week, is that acceptable from any professional footballer? Would it really detract that much from his game to close down opposition defenders? Imo for that money and those wages, the least any pro should be expected is to be super fit and to work hard with & without the ball. I dont think it should be any carte blanche 'luxury players' a la Ginola

It's not that he expects everything to be done for him so he can tap it in. Berbatov actually spends a lot of time positioning himself and has an incredible touch. He has a great talent in recieving a ball because his touch is so fantastic, he also has great vision and will be able to link up some fantastic moves. Don't expect him to run 40 yards onto a long ball though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Kold wrote: »
    It's not that he expects everything to be done for him so he can tap it in. Berbatov actually spends a lot of time positioning himself and has an incredible touch. He has a great talent in recieving a ball because his touch is so fantastic, he also has great vision and will be able to link up some fantastic moves. Don't expect him to run 40 yards onto a long ball though.

He has an incredible touch all right - but I wouldn't agree that standing virtually stationary equates to positioning oneself.

He'll help Utd put away weaker opposition with less fuss - not convinced we'll see that much more of him in the big games than what we saw yesterday though.

As an aside, I reckon it would have been funny if Eamonn and the boys were let loose on his performance last night!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement