Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Sante Fe

Options
  • 21-09-2008 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi,
    I'm considering buying a Santa Fe.

I'd like to get some advise:
    1. Petrol or Deisel?
    2. To import or not to import?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1) Diesel

2) import if it's cheaper! there are plenty of cheap ones in this country though, look for one with options like aircon and leather interior/no towbar/full history/timing belt done etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 bobmurrey

heard somebody say not to import because of fuel emissions!!

CRDi im guessing is better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Diesel better for resale value and bring it in from UK where you can avail of a 5 year warranty from Hyundai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

First of all is it the new model or the old model. if its the old model stay away from it the have huge problems with the gearbox and clutch my girlfriend had 2 and had huge problems with it broke her heart.

she now has the new model which is amazing they sorted out all the problems that the old one had.

so my question is is it old or new?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 the_manchine

Took the new model for a test drive (2.2 turbo diesel) and found it to be quite good. Was only out for a few mins so I'm not too sure how it'll handle if you throw it into a bend.
    The spec inside was also pretty good and there's 2 fold out seats in the boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Barr wrote: »
    Diesel better for resale value and bring it in from UK where you can avail of a 5 year warranty from Hyundai

+1

I cannot understand how many people don't take note of the longer warranties on UK imports.

BMW - IRL = 2
    MB - IRL = 2

BMW UK = 3
    MB UK = 3

If the OP is asking petrol or diesel, then it has to be the old model.

Irish new model 2008 Santa Fe's are set up slightly different to UK models so their VRT and road tax is lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

old model is horrible looking and really ugly on the inside too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Had the new model out for a test drive and hated it.
    Interior is tacky, loads of plastic wood and after market stereo makes the dash look messy.

Turns like a battle ship,
    Serious body roll.
    Standard model is only 2WD :eek:

Residuals on the old model are bad, no reason to think new one will be any better as they are everywhere.

On the posisive side it is a real 7 seater, looks good and is well kitted out.
    Wasn't for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Heres some advice, don't buy a Hyundai. They're all junk, no matter how much they try spice up the look. I've been driving the Santa Fe a lot recently (as well as all the other Hyundai cars out there), both petrol and diesel, manual and automatic, old and new. The way I've seen Hyundai cars, they'll do for a few years, but say after 5 years they'll be worth nothing. I'm no expert but I doubt you'd sell them on for decent money.
    After a few months, they start to rattle from inside the engine bay.
    The interior is sh**. Especially that cheap leather (though it is easy to clean, I must admit). But all the plastics in the drivers cabin are quite flimsy and seem to crack a bit after a while. Its like they loosen up and bump around. The glossy wood finish looks really cheap.
    Another problem thats been noticed by all us is when rounding a 90 degree corner at speed, the car likes to drift off over to the side. The rear wheels like to jump off the tarmac and drag the car too far over. I've nearly run into other cars doing it. I've only had this problem in the autos though, and it seems ok when the 4 wheel lock is on.

As said by Dan_B, it is a seven seater, and its nice and spacious.

But if you're set on it... I think when buying a 4x4 you should go for the diesel. You'd end up paying for the fuel through the teeth otherwise.

• Advertisement

hi Notorious,
    What would you recommend that would be similar?

What I can afford is a 2002 or 2003 , engine no bigger than 2.0.
    Was also considering the Grand Vitara

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Hi OP,

Both my father and brother bought 2008 Hyundai Sonatas and they are excellent. Both came from a lifetime of Mercs and Volvos etc. and are very impressed. Yes, the interior's could have softer-touch plastics but it's a minor prob as the sheer competency of the vehicles more than makes up. I have no experience of the Santa-Fe, but the Sonatas drive very well. I'm sure the (any) Santa-Fe's handling faults are the inherent ones in any SUV. The dealer has been very good also and with a great warranty, coupled to bullet-proof reliability, it's a very pleasing change from Volvo.

Imo, Hyundai/Kia are the quickest improving manufacturers because they *have* to be. I look forward to trying the new rwd Genesis next time I get to the States!

hi,
    what about a Toyota RAV4 Luna?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Hey bobmurray, I don't know much about 4x4s myself, I've only driven a few, and the Santa Fe and Tuscon are the only ones I've driven over long distances. I've never had a drive in a RAV4, but generally Toyota make quality, reliable cars. What about looking at a Pajero thats a little bit older?

As for the Sonata, IMO I wasn't a fan of them at all. While the ones I've driven haven't been brand new (generally '07), I thought, as with the smaller Hyundai cars, like the Atoz or the i10, they just didn't drive nice and smoothly, and that'd be with about 60-80k on the clock. Again, I thought they were very rattly, and they had that cheap leather. As with the other Hyundais, I just can't imagine you'd get decent money for them when you try to sell them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

bungler wrote: »
    First of all is it the new model or the old model. if its the old model stay away from it the have huge problems with the gearbox and clutch my girlfriend had 2 and had huge problems with it broke her heart.
    +1

stay clear of the old model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

What I can afford is a 2002 or 2003 , engine no bigger than 2.0.
    Was also considering the Grand Vitara

The Pre 06 rav 4 still looks pretty fresh and is well regarded.
    Would defenitley be my pick.
    Also the honda crv would be worth a look.
    Stay away from the freelanders of this ilk, nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

I'm driving an 07 2.2 CRDi 4WD Auto 7 seat and very happy with it. I was never a Jeep/SUV fan, but got converted when an old employer of mine landed me up in a VW Touareg and I started by tolerating it, ended up loving it. Helped that I wasn't paying the fuel bills.

SF is decent - there are undoubtedly better SUVs out there, but you either need to spend a lot more money, or go for high miler used motor. It's about as decent a compromise as you could find IMHO. Make sure you genuinely need an SUV before you buy, perhaps an estate or dare I say MPV might be better for your needs? Ditto the 4WD. But if you tick the boxes which are steering you to SUV, then it's a decent option. Also find the dealers to be excellent so far. I've put up just shy of 60K kms on mine and it's as solid now as when I got it.

what is the difference between the rav4 Terra and Luna?

Terra has no sunroof/aircon, no casette player and black bumpers.

On the facelift models (round foglights) there are two common trims, Aura and Luna, Luna has aircon, and Aura has sunroof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

colm you bore me your nearly as bad as glenn!

• Advertisement

hi,
    I'm re-opening this.
    I didnt purchase in 07 and am ready to purchase now.
    Am thinking of going to the finance auctions :) in the North.
    It looks like the Honda CRV's have less duty on them compared to the Rav4's

The tax on a 2.2l is €860 a year :(
    I'm guessing I can pick up a good 04 or 05 for between £4500 and £5500 - import will be about €4500 on the CRV.

Import is more on the RAV4's as they have higher C02 rating. does this mean they are harder on juice also?

Im confused as to what to buy now!
    I have a business and was also considering a commercial vehicle - being VAT registered and all.
    The other half however is not keen on the idea of a commercial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

bobmurrey wrote: »
    Im confused as to what to buy now!

If you're looking for advice, I'll say buy a car instead.

any recommendations on a safe car!

Advertisement