Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I share Huawei E220 connection using wifi?

Options
  • 21-09-2008 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Heading away for a few days soon and bringing my E220 modem with me. The thing is, the young lad also has a laptop and I am wondering if I can plug the E220 into mine and set up an ad-hoc wirless network that he can use, rather than the 2 of us needing the modem?

I see lots of stuff about the Dovado UMR and its making me wonder......if theres a demand for a router like that, then it doesnt look like I can do the above? Or am I wrong??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I think the UMR does that

I'm open to correction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Internet connection sharing and a wifi card in each PC would be just what you need :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Thanks for the replies

@barnicles. Thanks. I know the Dovado will do it, but I am trying to do it without the Dovado router.

@Random. Thats exactly what I thought. I have just setup my O2 bb on lappy (posting now using O2 connection) and set up ICS but I dont seem to be broadcasting an SSID? If I use my iPhone, and search for wifi, all I can see is the home one from Eircom, which I also see on this laptop?

Looks like it cant be done, so maybe thats why the Dovado router has found its way on to the market??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

You need to create an ad-hoc network, there are plenty of guides out there on how to do this. Keywords: ad hoc wifi internet connection sharing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Thats what I *have* done, but for some reason it doesnt seem to work with a USB modem. I remember doing it a couple of years ago when I had ISDN only and I had ISDN card and wireless card in main PC and shared its connection wirelessly for my laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Have you set it up correctly? Have you defined a subnet? Can you ping the laptops over the wireless link? As I recall, trying to set up an ad-hoc network can be hit and miss but should be possible on even the cheapest equipment.

Advertisement