Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digiweb mobile... is it normally this shocking?

Options
  • 21-09-2008 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

It's Sunday 21st September,17:54. I am just off Clonsilla Road, Dublin 15.
    Digiweb mobile service has been close to unusable for most of the day. Yesderday was marginally better. I was able to check my email a few times. This is the first time today I have managed to load boards.ie and it didn't take 10 minutes (mind you I turned off graphics on my Opera browser to try to speed things up). I doubt very much that I have come anywhere near close to my monthly quota of 15GB... I'm probably on about 4 or 5GB at the moment, 3 weeks into the month, so it should not be a speed restriction based on usage so far. Would they tell me by email or something if it was a speed restriction???

The thing is I have seen it operate at respectable speeds... by respectable, I will say 400k(ish) most evenings. That's respectable enough for me as all I need it for is sending the odd big attachment, a bit of craic on youtube and mostly skype. It handles those three things reasonably well if the speed holds at 400k, which is typical around 9-10pm weekdays. The service states speeds of "up to 5.4MB" but that is probably based on 1:1 contention if my speeds are anything to go by. I have seen it hit download speeds of over 1MB on one occasion. I would normally check my speeds using irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

Using today's irishisptest.com results.... here are a few figures:
    Download speed: I just notice now that speeds soared up to 134kbps this evening. They held a solid 20-28kbps earlier today, but slipped to around 15k at one stage.
    Upload speed: currently 31kb, (as low as 4kbps earlier)
    Quality of service: 61%
    Jitter: 34.9ms
    Packet loss: 30%

Anyone else find that this is normal? I am about 3 weeks into my contract, so my 10-day cooling off period has now elapsed... just brilliant! :)

I really gotta get this sorted out (there's some bu11sh1t reason that I cannot get a broadband over the phone line into the house at the moment so while I am aware that this is what any normal person would do, let's just assume I must stick with wireless options for now).

Has anyone tried cancelling a contract with digiweb? Are they sticklers and will they wave the small print in front of you...? I really can't be paying for something that's quite simply not working at all (which it hasn't done for about 7 hours today! and as good as useless all day yesterday

Thanks for any feedback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I don't know about Digiweb specifically but generally isp's will make it tough on you to cancel but you're definitely within your rights to cancel with those speeds. I would get in contact with them to see if they could help you improve it and if not send them a registered letter saying that if it didn't improve within two weeks or a similar deadline that you would be canceling the direct debit (or however you're paying) because the product is not fit for purpose. Make sure to keep plenty of records of the poor speeds you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I doubt it's a quota issue.

Do contact them. They might be doing base station work. Or you could have interference with something.

The UP TO, as with all Mobile products is the speed for the mast sector and assuming a good signal, not a package speed like Fixed Wireless.

Have you the Modem on its own or a Router it plugs into?

Do phone them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 I_Love_Tomatoes

Watty - I have the netgear wireless router that the modem slots into. I then just plug a network cable from the modem into a desktop; sometimes a laptop connects to the network using wireless...

I will call them later and let you know how I get on...

As for a speed test: I did another one at 8am this morning before I left the house. I got 398k download (which should be OK for me), and a 28k upload (disaster).

I am recording all of these statistics and just pasting screen shots into a word document which I will fire off to them if things don't improve.

Thanks for replies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 I_Love_Tomatoes

FYI: I phoned them and the chap assured me nothing was notably wrong over the weekend. He told me to use http://speedtest.digiweb.ie/ instead, and to save a few results and send them back to them. I didn't go down the route of ranting and screaming "if this continues I'm cancelling...". I'm willing to give this a second shot.

So come on.... who was using their digiweb mobile in D15 over the weekend?? Were ye torrenting for Ireland or something? :rolleyes:

Advertisement