Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying food in Galway

Options
  • 21-09-2008 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all,
    I am moving to Galway from Dublin tomorrow and as a foodie I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for where to buy food. I will be living in Salthill-is there a supermarket in Salthill? Can anyone recommend a good quality butchers in Salthill or in the city centre?
    I know there is a lidl on the Headford rd-how would one get there if you dont have transport? Is there a bus that goes there? Is there an aldi-which is easiest to get to?
    Any info much appreciated. Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

hi sarah. the only supermarket I can think of in salthill would be Morton's and that's more of a mini.mart plus you would need a small mortgage to shop there, there is a butcher in Salthill called laughlanes but I don't know what the meat is like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Probably easiest to get the bus to Eyre Square and go to Dunnes. Also, Tesco (and Lidl) are within 10 minutes walk of Eyre Square. Then just walk back and bus to Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sheena99

The butcher at the bottom of the Eyre Square Centre is v.nice, and there's a dunnes right across from it, plus the Salthill bus stop is right outside. I lived in Salthill for a few years, no supermarket but Morton's is quite nice for the special items. As for Aldi and Lidl, they're about a ten minute walk from Eyre Square, where the bus stop is, so may not be practical for doing a big shop. Good luck with the move, I loved Salthill, sure you will too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Depending on what part of Salthill you are, you may be able to walk to your house from Super Valu on Fr. Griffin Road.

If you're in Lower Salthill, you'll be near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

shops in salthill, there is a centra near the roundabout and a small shop just down from o'connors bar, then further towards town there is mortons, kellehers(sp?) garage is 24hr, then there is supervalue on fr, griffin rd, also there is Ernies on sea rd (good place for veg and fish), on dominic street there is an over priced corner shop (across from bierhaus) and then Mcguires not far after that.. after that you have to cross the river (and if you have to do that you'ld be best getting the bus)

depending on what side of salthill you are on there is also Joyce's supermarket out knocknacarra..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sarahspud

Great, thanks for all the replies! I like the sound of Mortons but would prefer to shop in lidl! i think I'll try the Dunnes and the butchers in the Eyre square centre, then at least I can hop on the bus back to Salthill. Thanks for your help!

Advertisement