Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone use Cat Grass???

Options
  • 21-09-2008 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi;
    I got 2 kittens back in June. I had read a good bit about keeping them indoors and one of the things was mentioned was cat grass.
    I had one plant when I got them and they used to chew that so I put it up high. Then I bought a couple of packets of cat grass which I grew in a litter tray that was too small for the use for which is was intended ;)
    The grass grew in some sort of seed thing, not clay or anything.

mollygrass.jpg

Anyway I introduced them to it and they liked it, but after a couple of days one of them poo'd in it (maybe the fact it was in a litter tray didn't help!!)
    I cleaned that up anyway but over time it started to get really smelly, like a hay/silage kind of smell. Basically I think it had gone off. I threw it out and to be honest, completely forgot about the whole cat-grass thing, until today when I brought home some flowers and one of them was straight over chewing on the leaves (it's not them chewing on the leaves that bothers me, it's just i have read that cats could be poisoned by the wrong plant etc)

So my question is, has anyone successfully grown and kept cat grass, or any other type of leaves that I could allow them to have? Where would I get it/how to look after it properly etc.

Judging by the reaction to the flowers today, they would obviously lke something plant-like around the place. Unfortunately I don't have access to a garden for them to go out in :(

Thanks a mil!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

If you just get a pot or something and grow some grass in it that should do fine. You can buy cat grass that comes in it's own tray in pet shops, I guess if the tray or pot that it is in is too small fo toileting in it's less likely to happen.

One other thought that popped into my head there is how many litter trays do you have? Perhaps they would like more choice of places to use? In multi cat households there should be a tray per cat plus one spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I have used this one: http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/cat_grass/19595

It grew really quickly and grows from a gel-type tray so I don't think the kittens would be tempted to poo in it. It does go off after a few weeks though, so it will have to be replaced then.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

The first time I grew grass for my lot (9 indoor cats) I grew it in a big pot complete with lots of soil. I was asking for trouble really.:rolleyes:

Now they get it in pots much smaller than Reuben's bum. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

thanks for the replies!
    I might try the pot with soil and see how they get on with that. And go back to the trays from the shop if not

I have one BIG litter tray for them, they are using that no problem - I will keep an eye on how they are getting on with it as they grow. Might get a covered one eventually.

I have one BIG litter tray for them, they are using that no problem - I will keep an eye on how they are getting on with it as they grow. Might get a covered one eventually.

It really doesn't matter how big the litter tray is, there still should be more than one if there's more than one cat.

Sometimes one cat can actually guard the tray from the other and most owners will not pick up on this as it is usually done very surreptisciously. I would not take the chance on whether this is happening or not, long term nervousness over going to the toilet can cause infections in the bladder and kidneys and can sometimes trigger toiletting problems for the owner. I don't imagine you would enjoy discovering that the cat has been using a pile of clothes in your airing cupboard for a toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

MsFifers wrote: »
    I have used this one: http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/cat_grass/19595

It grew really quickly and grows from a gel-type tray so I don't think the kittens would be tempted to poo in it. It does go off after a few weeks though, so it will have to be replaced then.

Thanks for that link , l was only asking in my local pet shop on Friday about it , but the owner did not know what l was referring to. Now l can at least give him the brand name and see can he order it in for me.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Best bet as I found out is to bring in fresh grass every night from the garden or in your situation a field near by and put it in a bowl now the floor and let them at it, just a quick sweep up after, no soil to poop in and no pots being turned over or dug up. You get mugged every night for it but it's the fats in the plants they go after and to help them clear out their little tummys. Helps with the hairballs as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

They most likely were weeing in the grass too. This is only natural. Why not get an outdoor run of some kind to allow them outside while you are there. I know most people dont want to let their cats outdoors but it would be cheeper in the long run and less smelly:) plus it would help with the old Vitamin D intake.

Thanks a mil for all the replies:)
    cotton wrote: »
    Now they get it in pots much smaller than Reuben's bum. ;)
    LOL!!
    Thanks for that link , l was only asking in my local pet shop on Friday about it , but the owner did not know what l was referring to. Now l can at least give him the brand name and see can he order it in for me.:)
    The grass I bought originally I got in W(h?)ackers petstore on the Long Mile Road behind Aldi there. It was only €2, but not sure how the tray size compares to the ones on there
    Best bet as I found out is to bring in fresh grass every night from the garden or in your situation a field near by and put it in a bowl now the floor and let them at it, just a quick sweep up after, no soil to poop in and no pots being turned over or dug up. You get mugged every night for it but it's the fats in the plants they go after and to help them clear out their little tummys. Helps with the hairballs as well.

Hey, that's a great idea. And I park beside acres of grass for work, so can collect some each day on the way home. I'll try it tomorrow and see how we go!!!
    It really doesn't matter how big the litter tray is, there still should be more than one if there's more than one cat.

I will certainly look into getting a covered one and will keep the other one so. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Well l acted on your reply BlackCat and it resulted in 2 very happy cats, they really do enjoy it, and its free.
    So thank you.:)

• Advertisement

I forgot the fresh grass the last couple of days on the way home :o
    Will pull some on the way out this evening and see how they get on with it.

Sounds like they are going to love it!!!

If you're not taking it from your own property, make absolutely certain that it doesn't get sprayed with weed killer or anything first :)

If you're not taking it from your own property, make absolutely certain that it doesn't get sprayed with weed killer or anything first :)

Oh that's a good point! I did think of not taking cut grass and not near roads etc but not the weedkiller problem.
    Best idea I think all in all will be to raid my parents' back garden!!!!
    Thanks carwash!!! [and my kitties will thank u later when they get their yummy grass;)]

Advertisement