Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stain?Varnish?

Options
  • 21-09-2008 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

I had have just aquired 2 solid oak doors that I intend to hang on my sittingroom and kitchen. Just looking for a little advice on what to treat it with. Should I varnish or stain? Not too worried which I use, but they are very nice doors and I want to have them look their best. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Don't stain oak doors!
    IMO oak is a beautiful timber with a natural colour, staining would destroy this as would painting the door.
    Use a spray Laquer or clear varnish to protect the natural beauty and colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree .. oak is too beautiful a timber to spoil with stain. If the reason you're thinking of staining them is that they're new, and appear a little on the light side to you, don't worry. They'll darken gradually over time (years, that is) to a wonderful rich, natural colour. Be patient!

Advertisement