Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Slashdot Article - Similar Issue to NetSoc?

Options
  • 21-09-2008 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Heyho,

I'm not involved with Netsoc at all, but knew guys who struggled to keep it alive a few years ago - seems to be a common issue:

http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/08/09/21/1241240.shtml

What do you think? What could/should netsoc do to ensure its continued success? Or have they sucessfully restored their presence on campus in the last year or so?

Dave

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

They haven't. I don't know if they had anything at the Fresher's tent this year or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

They did, but they got very few members. Think they left early.

What really killed Netsoc, imo, was 2 years ago, when they had a horrible year where their servers all fell over, and everyone lost access to everything they'd put on them about halfway through. After that all happened, everyone I know was quite skeptical of their ability, and didn't rejoin in case it happened again.

Edit: To answer your question, which I forgot to do, I don't think Netsoc need to find new things to do, I think their best bet is to try and focus back onto what they used to. Now, obviously their proxy isn't as big an appeal as it used to be, but the two things I joined for in first year was the massive amount of storage space they used to offer, and a shell. Also, the Gamesoc forum used to be hosted on their servers, as I'm sure were other Societies forums and websites. However, based on the way it all fell over when I was in first year, I haven't rejoined, because I don't want to use webspace that I don't feel is reliable. This is also why Gamesoc has gone elsewhere. If Netsoc could re-establish peoples faith in its reliability, then I for one would rejoin it, because the services it used to offer were much better than the commercial alternatives.

That's my 2c, anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

what are the benefits of joining netsoc?

Advertisement