Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for MTB tyres?

Options
  • 21-09-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭

Looking to replace the slick tyres on a mountain bike with knobblies, for like, you know, mountain biking. On the mountain.
    What sort of width should I be looking for as a reasonable compromise between going uphill easily and grip. Also what brands/models are good? Just looking to have a bit of a laugh in Ballinastoe, so just something entry level.
    Cheers
    K
    edit how about something like this? what's the difference between the "62a" and the "70a" designation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

kenmc wrote: »
    Looking to replace the slick tyres on a mountain bike with knobblies, for like, you know, mountain biking. On the mountain.
    What sort of width should I be looking for as a reasonable compromise between going uphill easily and grip. Also what brands/models are good? Just looking to have a bit of a laugh in Ballinastoe, so just something entry level.
    Cheers
    K
    edit how about something like this? what's the difference between the "62a" and the "70a" designation?

the diference is rubber compound and weight! go for which ever suites your budget! advantage are good and also maxxis ignitors!! ;)

makesure you get the folder! I find wirebead a bastard to get off if stuck out on the hills!! :-)
    also, makesure if your taking up mtb to bring plenty of spares, tire levers and tubes! there is no CRc in the middle of wicklow mtns

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

thanks for the response.
    1.95 or 2.10 width?
    which ignitor? There's 5 different flavours on CRC!
    Yeah don't worry I'll be taking spares - sure it's the same on the road bike, except that I don't drive the car to the start of the mountain with the road bike, so I do be further away from home! :D

thanks for the response.
    1.95 or 2.10 width?
    which ignitor? There's 5 different flavours on CRC!
    Yeah don't worry I'll be taking spares - sure it's the same on the road bike, except that I don't drive the car to the start of the mountain with the road bike, so I do be further away from home! :D

2.1 is the stanard on most mtb xc bikes nowadays! 1.9 for weight wennie racer types and above 2.1 for xc and anything above that free ride - dh up to 2.4 etc. wider tire = softer ride, but more drag on the climbs! stick with 2.1.

more agressive rider often mix sizes too! 2.1 on the back and 2.25 of the front! but I've never tried! again its down to the terraine!

i'd stick to the advatage, winter is coming and the lads in mad swear by them :-) ignitors are good but less knobbly!!

I use schwalbe nobby nics almost all year round, however they cost a bomb!! UST for me :-) source them online from Germany always 2.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭littleknown

i use nobby nics as well, good tyre but for me they puncture easy, anyone else have this problem? whats a good tyre to avoid punctures?

i use nobby nics as well, good tyre but for me they puncture easy, anyone else have this problem? whats a good tyre to avoid punctures?

yeah sidewalls are poor on the nobbys, I use UST so they seem to be better!! but when i ran standard tires i never got many punctures!

why not try conti mountain kings 2.2 are meant to be the dogs... struggle in mud but are good on loose over and hardpack! light and the 2.2 is more like 2.1 !!

• Advertisement

right, ordered a pair of advantages. hopefully have them by the weekend so

right, ordered a pair of advantages. hopefully have them by the weekend so

ahh you should get them by then!!

hope you bought the folding ones ;-) wire bead is a painnnnnn:o

aye - always go folding - easier to get home from work where they get delivered - otherwise I'd be wearing them home around my body like in the early days of the tour de france :D

Advertisement