Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short sci-fi strip

Options
  • 21-09-2008 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hey all, first time posting my own stuff here.
    I want to get into printing some of my own stuff soon (somehow), but before that I'd like to ask what people think of this; it's one half of a little strip I'm doing (I'll hopefully have the second part up soon). It was done in pencil and pen, simple enough I guess. I need to get myself some proper materials clearly...
    Basically some guy's getting chased by police, runs into an alleyway, discovers a chute and goes down it, without realising it leads to a furnace (you'll see that happen in the next part).

exit001gm4.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Good to see more of your work, after that Comic Challenge page you did I've been waiting to see what else you come up with :)

As for the panels you've posted:

the draughtmanship is very good, your lines are very clear and confident. Your use of graytones and shading works very well with them, which also helps.

I can only think of two criticisms - the anatomy on the running character in the first panel is a little off; he looks a little like he's doing a John Cleese Ministry Of Funny Walks impression rather than running for his life. Aside from that, the lack of background in the second panel is a little jarring given the detailed backgrounds in panels one and three.

That being said, I definitely want to see more of your art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jmean

your comic drawing is really good and your costume design are very interesting, look forward to seeing more if this type of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

nice start honey, I like the design and the use of tone - its damn nice for just pencil, would be interested to see it with some ink washes.

My only crit would be the middle panel I find the guys finger pointing gets a bit lost as its meeting up with the end of his nose and it takes away from that nice feeling depth. And careful the guys arm in the first panel it looks like his elbowing that guy in the head lol

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Thanks for the crits so far! I have to admit, it does seem a little pointless leaving out background in the second panel... I was worried it might become a little too cluttered. I'm gonna add something to it and re-scan it for when I have the other three panels done.
    And the run is a little awkward alright, I need to get a decent few pictures of people running from the side. :pac:
    As for the arm, well, I had originally intended for him to be holding a suitcase close to his chest while running, but I found it a little too hard to capture, so I went with a very rushed arm. And thanks for pointing out the elbow-to-the-head part Cliodhna, I should've had only a part of his head visible behind the running dude's arm. (I should really plan things more a little! :p)
    I can't say I'm too familiar with ink wash, I'm afraid. I'll look up some tutorials now that you mention it.
    Cheers for the comment Jmean, hopefully I'll post some more soon.

Advertisement