Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

national diploma in arts in journalism

Options
  • 21-09-2008 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

i wasthinking about doing this course wit the irish academy. has anybody done this course or got any info on it? what about other part time journalism courses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

i wasthinking about doing this course wit the irish academy. has anybody done this course or got any info on it? what about other part time journalism courses?

Have never heard of them or it to be honest. I presume you want to do the H dip? Why not do the MA in DCU instead. Far more relevant, the fact that the prospectus on the academy is circa four paragraphs would worry me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I know two people who got subbing jobs with a national via the course the OP is talking about. It's more about your experience than your qualifications anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 sim2

I have heard of the Irish Academy, I know that one of their past students works on air on National radio and apparently the courses are very good. Well so I heard from a few people during a conversation I had with some people about part time education!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Dudess wrote: »
    It's more about your experience than your qualifications anyway...

yup, that's what it is all about. I write freelance for the Evening Echo in Cork and the Irish Examiner, and were I ever to take it on as a profession (it's just more of a hobby than anything) my experience would count for a lot more than any qualification. It is one industry where qualifications don't hold a HUGE amount of weight. Saying that, they do still count of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, I freelance too - you need **** all qualifications, you just need to be able to write. However, if you're looking for a staff job at a newspaper - e.g. as a reporter or sub-editor - you'll probably find it easier to get your foot in the door with a qualification.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, I freelance too - you need **** all qualifications, you just need to be able to write. However, if you're looking for a staff job at a newspaper - e.g. as a reporter or sub-editor - you'll probably find it easier to get your foot in the door with a qualification.

true. true. but if you don't have any experience OP, i'd be getting going on that or else you'd want to consider your career path...

Advertisement