Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pink Floyd

Options
  • 21-09-2008 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Not a stellar fan,

I like Dark Side and bits of The Wall.

Any further album recommendations?

Is Division Bell any good? Was it not written by other songwriters or something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

This a difficult one to answer, because DSOTM is very much the culmination of what the floyd were all about

If you like this sound then Wish you were here and possibly animals are the right albums for you.

But I think a more interesting route is to try and appreciate where they came from, check out the video live at pompeii for a start, if you like it then meddle, ummagumma, atom heart mother, saucerful of secrets are within your grasp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Cheers. I have the pompeii vid. Didn't like Animals though. I'll try a few of the others out.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

If you have the pompeii vid and you like it then set the controls and saucerful of secrets are on saucerful of secrets, but then join careful with that axe eugene on the live album of ummagumma with a great version of astronomy dominie. Meddle has echoes and one of these days. I think Animals is pants

I'm pretty sure i reAD a biogrophy a while back. Think I can remember anything of it? can i fluck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Animals is a very good album (although not a classic like its predecessors or successor), but it's not easy to get into.

Sad to hear about the death of Rick Wright, it didn't seem to get as much media coverage as I would have expected it to. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Congrats to the OP on discovering Floyd:)

Based on what you like so far, I'd suggest the last 2 studio abums - A momentary Lapse of Reason & The Division Bell.

The live DVD Pulse should be in every music-lovers' collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Get Meddle.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Start at the beginning(much, much better than the end:pac:), The piper at the gates of dawn and carry on from there. You could also get Relics, a compilation some early a-sides and some more obscure stuff - really good - shows the transition from the Barrett - post Barrett eras very well

Hmm the message seems to be - buy every album. Even The Final Cut (which is rather compelling actualy)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'd second Meddle. You can't go wrong with Wish You Were Here, either.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Hmm the message seems to be - buy every album. Even The Final Cut (which is rather compelling actualy)

Mike
    I knew I wasn't the only one! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 starfiend

Animals is great. Always had a special place for "songs from the film more" and "obscured by clouds". Just good rock albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

The Wall ftw! How has nobody said this yet? It's incredible. Not as trippy or psychdelic as Dark Side but it's just a great album. Mind blowing. Wish You Were Here is excellent also. And try A Saucer Full of Secrets and Relics.

:P so basically, everything.

Umm, yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

One to add to the list - David Gilmour Live in Gdansk (just released on CD/DVD)
    I've been listening to it today, and its a great gig - superb stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I would recommend the following...in order of importance to me :D

Dark Side of The Moon
    The Wall
    Wish You Were Here
    The Final Cut

Im not mad about their first few albums and A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Divison Bell are a bit patchy...and arent the "real" Floyd cos Roger Waters had left by then...

Live at Gdansk is on BBC4 this friday at 9 or 10 pm

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

I would recommend the following...in order of importance to me :D

Dark Side of The Moon
    The Wall
    Wish You Were Here
    The Final Cut

Im not mad about their first few albums and A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Divison Bell are a bit patchy...and arent the "real" Floyd cos Roger Waters had left by then...
    you could say then that anything after Syd Barrett had left aren't the real floyd either :rolleyes:

obscured by clouds is a great album if you give it a chance. relics is mad but great. meddle is fantastic for driving. a collection of great dance songs worth a listen too. even try out the 'pro's and con's of hitch hiking', radio kaos or amused to death by roger waters. eric clapton is guitarist on pro's and con's and i find it to be a class album

ENJOY, I KNOW U WILL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Animals is their best album, but I'm equally partial totheir early stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JeanH

A Momentary Lapse of Reason - you have to hear Learning to Fly (that's my favourite Pink Floyd song).

The Division Bell - you have to hear High Hopes.

Always great buying up an artists back catalogue. All those first times. Enjoy the journey!

Advertisement