Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rye - Galways Band

Options
  • 22-09-2008 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi there!

Had to write a review on this band because to be honest i cant find that much on them online and they seem to be growing pretty fast!

The Rye are a Galway band of 5 and are most definitely on their way to become a great irish band!

They would not be considered a certain genre of music as of yet and i think that is where they fall.. It is a cross between traditional irish instruments and a bassy distorted rock at time, it sounds appauling but when you listen to it for the first time you really find yourself tapping your feet to it!

They have been interviewed my Tommy Teirnan and Hector on the radio, i can give the link but im not too sure if im allowed to post links in this section so i best air on the side of saftey!

Ill leave you with a review however from the Connaught Tribune Interview
    Galway Music Scene Review

This local five piece are a force to be reckoned with! With one foul swoop they are changing the face of trad/rock and making it more accessible and enjoyable to all.

The band is a staple on the Galway music scene having gained popularity during their weekly spot in the Cellar bar on Eglinton Street. Although that residency has now ended, I can fortunately say that I was one of the lucky many who saw them play there.

Not only does the band have that really fantastic ability to make even a stone statue tap its feet, they also have this amazing stage energy and presence that makes it difficult to turn away once they start performing. From the vocalists painfully soulful and tortured voice to the masterful stylings of their bass player, this band has talent dripping from their ears, normally you would see an up-and-coming band and perhaps wonder how a little change in the line-up would make all the difference, but not with these guys. They are each fantastic at what they do, and most importantly, they seem to enjoy that fact!

Having been asked to review an online demo recently, I took my thoughts to their MySpace (myspace.com/theryeband). Although it is difficult to beat their live show (no amount of production could recreate that buzz) the ranges that the band reach can really be fully appreciated on their recordings.

'Square Peig' is The Ryes take on the famous Seven Nation Army song by The White Stripes, a great riff in itself takes on a whole new depth when tackled by the introduction of banjos and violins. The cover is inspired, except its not just a cover, its more like a nod to a great tune by some great musicians.

'The Big Dip' is an original track and another great, the regretful tone of the song is projected beautifully in the simplistic harmonies and clear sounds from a very talented banjo player. However the song that stood out to me was their demo of 'Dance With you'. The vocals cut through the intro of the song, reminisent of a Tom Waits classic. The vocalist manages to trap so much soul and blues into the song, I felt like I was un-earthing a classic from the 70's. The tune is quite simplistic and mellow but it really is stunningly arranged. I first heard this song that night a year ago in the Cellar, and when the song started up I could not believe the rapt attention it recieved, the whole room enchanted by the melocholy projected from the stage. Least I remind people that the Cellar is frequented by students on their way to the GPO!! If you can get that kind of crowd to pay attention, you're definitely on to something!!

The band gigs very regularly around Galway so you shouldnt find it too hard to catch them live. and a bottle of whiskey beforehand wouldnt go astray because wether you like it or not, you will end up dancing! They have a very strong following in Galway but this is one band that deserves it!

If anyone would like to hear more you can find some on youtube from the Green Farm Festival in germany i think! Or you can let me know if i can post a link and i will!

Comments

Advertisement