Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol light not on

Options
  • 22-09-2008 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm having a little conundrum with a 00 hyundai accent...
    It seems the petrol warning light doesn't come on.. I did see it come on twice in my entire driving time but only when the thing was sucking fumes. in both cases it switched off after a sec or 2... was wondering if anyone who drives this car also notice this? i've been driving closer and closer to the E line which my needle is sitting on at the moment and still no sign of the light. In any other car it comes on relatively early. Its not a big thing but I like things to work.. i'm gonna fill her tomorrow because its too close to call now but would really appreciate any feed back. I'll check fuses tomorrow and post an update too but i'm gonna guess a faulty switch/relay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's not a very good idea to be driving around regularly with fuel that low, you pull a lot of the crap from your tank. On my car (00 Corrolla) the warning light comes on when the needle goes below the empty mark, my last car I never saw the light but I never let it get too low.

AFAIK it depends on the manufactures, some set the warning light light to come on too early, read about a bike with a 140mile range where the light comes on with 80 miles left, and others when your nearly out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

filled it up tonight. It stopped at 34litres which told me there was at least 10/11 litres still in the tank (45L tank) and still no light. Yea i try not to drive on fumes but still I needed to know for future reference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

wait for the light and then refill - light comes on when there is loads left, prob 5-8 litres

Are you an owner of an Accent? the only other time i saw the light was when i bought the damn thing and had to drive from lexlip to dunboyne on fumes cos forgot my wallet and there wasnt a drop in her. As another poster said, I run the risk of suckin up some crap in the bottom of my tank along with basically running outta fuel... lets face it- hyundai and their electrics are rubbish

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The fuel also acts as a form of coolant & lubricant for the pump AFAIK.

• Advertisement

I'm just concerned because the needle gets very low and i'll have done excess 300 miles. @Kbanon, as far as i know, low fuel is still enough for the pump to run on

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Sure the bulb isn't blown :D

I'll tell ya in a week when she either warns me of my low petrol status or runs dry... her choice lol.. yes i'm aware of all consequences of running dry but still curiousity may have killed the cat but not me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

congo_90 wrote: »
    I'll tell ya in a week when she either warns me of my low petrol status or runs dry... her choice lol.. yes i'm aware of all consequences of running dry but still curiousity may have killed the cat but not me :P

Stick a jerry can in your boot, and have it full:D

Del2005 wrote: »
    Stick a jerry can in your boot, and have it full:D

Lmao now thats sound advice!! that would be one of those 'things' i'd forget to do like fill the f*cking things! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Or just fill up in time. There's no prize for seeing who can get the tank closest to being completely empty before pulling in at the pump...

Advertisement