Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unknowability of divinity/"God"?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

jaysus.... im puzzled why everyone is at me like im trying to forcefeed ye christianity pills! :confused:

i still want my gold star mr mod...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Will a few thanks do all the stars?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

jaysus.... im puzzled why everyone is at me like im trying to forcefeed ye christianity pills!
    Everyone's at ya because you telling them to just suck it up and move on... wrong approach...
    You obviously have youth on your side, but when you're older and crankier believe me you'll see the necessity to vent. :)
    i still want my gold star mr mod...
    Like this one? What for?
    gold.star.gif

Dades wrote: »
    Everyone's at ya because you telling them to just suck it up and move on... wrong approach...
    You obviously have youth on your side, but when you're older and crankier believe me you'll see the necessity to vent. :)

Like this one? What for?
    gold.star.gif
    Thanks ! yay!
    The star is for maintaining a Positive Mental Attitude... thanking you :D yay!!

I do have youth.. maybe i get more cynical as time goes by... but, hopefully not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

This is essentially not my problem. im a free thinker, dont have herd mentality. so...
    If you were you would not have a religion. Its a contradction.

I'd give you a gold star if I were a mod...for taking a beating. I've been blasted out of it on the property forum....jasus don't ever say a positive word on there they'll eat you alive!! :D

• Advertisement

20goto10 wrote: »
    If you were you would not have a religion. Its a contradction.

I'd give you a gold star if I were a mod...for taking a beating. I've been blasted out of it on the property forum....jasus don't ever say a positive word on there they'll eat you alive!! :D

yay me!
    i dont have any actual religion so im not contradicting myself! yay!! :D

rest assured, my serious discussions have drawn to a close for another while - however, thanks for making the day more interesting :)
    Any property.... oh dont get me started hahaha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Also,
    i said neither is 100% (referring to christianity/atheism).... i didnt say nothing is 100%.

Buddah existed. 100%. no room for questioning there.

Well I'm telling you right now that nothing is 100%. You could be in The Matrix for all you know. To me God's existence is as unlikely as a vampire drinking my blood on my way to the shops. I presume you agree with the vampire part, so why is it ok for you to say that vampires/fairies/spaghetti monsters don't exist but if I say God doesn't exist then I'm wrong because its not 100%!
    Also, earlier in the post i said people just wind up poking fun at others beliefs so whats the point of getting into a proper debate... and there you go, proving the point by saying my personal views are hilarious.

I was ridiculing your inconsistent beliefs, not poking fun. Poking fun is far more light hearted.
    I mean, realitstically, no-one will be changing their own personal views (read any of the debates in the christian threads) so whats the gain of trying to discuss it?

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. You want to arrive on a forum full of Atheists and announce that their beliefs are no better than religious beliefs and you'll get people who will strongly disagree with you. Like me. My beliefs make way more sense than faith-based belief and I'll argue strongly with anyone who says otherwise.

Zillah wrote: »
    Well I'm telling you right now that nothing is 100%. You could be in The Matrix for all you know. To me God's existence is as unlikely as a vampire drinking my blood on my way to the shops. I presume you agree with the vampire part, so why is it ok for you to say that vampires/fairies/spaghetti monsters don't exist but if I say God doesn't exist then I'm wrong because its not 100%!

:confused::confused::confused: i dont even believe in god myself!!! :rolleyes: I am not, say, on here shoving my bible down your throat!
    For jaysuuus sake - and people do actually live out there lives as vampires well, some of them... so, that blows your negativity right outta the water. :P

I was ridiculing your inconsistent beliefs, not poking fun. Poking fun is far more light hearted.

so, you think my beliefs are inconsistant? em, as i know myself what i believe (coz they are personal to me not you)... i kinda dont care what you think about my beliefs ... they aren't your concern. Now your just as bad as the christians who riducule US non belivers....

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. You want to arrive on a forum full of Atheists and announce that their beliefs are no better than religious beliefs and you'll get people who will strongly disagree with you. Like me. My beliefs make way more sense than faith-based belief and I'll argue strongly with anyone who says otherwise.

done with it. Already got my gold star :P

:confused::confused::confused: i dont even believe in god myself!!! :rolleyes: I am not, say, on here shoving my bible down your throat!

Ok, I'll try to lay it out as simply as I can.

- You imply that Atheism and belief are not defensible positions because nothing is 100%.
    - The implication being that one should not believe anything unless it is 100%
    - Nothing is known 100%
    - You believe/disbelieve in things, be it aliens, vampires, unicorns, whatever.
    - Therefore, you're being hypocritical.

You are, I presume, happy to say that gigantic pink invisible magic statue sculpting space swimming turtles do not exist. You're right to do this, its ridiculous. I, similarly, say that God does not exist.

Is it not hypocritical of you to dismiss such things, while at the same time telling me I'm wrong to do it?
    done with it. Already got my gold star :P

Actually, you didn't get a star. He said "Like this one? What for?", implying that he might give you one but you'd have to make a case for it.

Yes, I just took someone's gold star away from them.

Anyone want to get in before the lock?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Yes please.:D

EDIT: Sorry Dades, after getting a proper read of the thread, nothing to add. Sorry. :o

If you can read this, you're too close!

You can't be 100% sure that locking the thread won't destroy the planet.

See you all in the next off-topic debacle. :pac:

(If the planet is still here, that is...)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement