Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inappropriate picture?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

How in the name of god is "Sour grapes" an attack on the poster? :confused:

It shouldn't have to be locked, there's only one person making hassle.
    I was going on part 2) of Dooms post above karl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

zuroph wrote: »
    its the whole tone of the replies. quite immature really.

Sorry, the 'tone'? You're looking for something that's simply not there as far as I can see.

As for immaturity, please elaborate, don't just make a vague statement like the above. Rizzla is quite obviously bitter over being infracted, and is feigning outrage over my posts in response, so saying it's a case of sour grapes is simply calling it like it is. If that's somehow attacking the poster, or unbecoming of the mature, then we are on completely different wavelenths here.

Whether you like it or not, telling Rizzla to get some perspective on the infraction is dealing with his concerns. The infraction is something minor, barely worth concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Basically its mod discretion on any thread. And theres rules. Other than that what do you want? The asian pics,well tbh,i thought they looked young,but as karl pointed out,drinking age etc,they aren't. Again,i'm painfully aware we're arguing about pictures of people ye think are hot. Which is sad,especially on a freakin monday. The five of us have been keeping an eye and discussing it behind the scenes,anything dodgey is snipped,and gets users an infraction or banned,depending on the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I've seen this picture and seen in refered to here as being "close to the line" ... should it not cross a line to deserve to be acted upon? If there is no way for people to really know what is and isn't allowed (bar the obvious) then a thread like this seems like an invitation to get infracted/banned.

I know not everything is Black & White and the mods do a great job but as I said "close to the line" is not crossing a line.

6th wrote: »
    I've seen this picture and seen in refered to here as being "close to the line" ... should it not cross a line to deserve to be acted upon? If there is no way for people to really know what is and isn't allowed (bar the obvious) then a thread like this seems like an invitation to get infracted/banned.

I know not everything is Black & White and the mods do a great job but as I said "close to the line" is not crossing a line.

i think doom meant that other people started posting stuff close to the line,so bans and infractions were threatened-and that rizzlas pic would be a serious pain to try explain in work,hence he got an infraction. Well,thats what i got from dooms post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

orestes wrote: »
    The pic was deleted and you were infracted because the pic in question was deemed to be too close to the line.

Maybe I'm just being picking but it might help everyone in the future if it was a little more clear cut. Even something as saying it did cross the line would help, then maybe tell people where the line is. I know mods have to use their discretion though and this case doesnt exactly reek of singling someone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i just think its sad that, in a world where ads on tv can show a mans naked arse, ur too scared to let a photo of a girl posing sitting on the toilet, with no more than a tiny bit of leg showing, too offensive to let slide. if she had been sitting on a chair, or in a mini skirt, or wearing a top that showed cleavage?!? and dont give me the NSFW argument, because i think any boss would be a little more worried about the fact that the employee was browsing a list of photos of young looking japanese girls.

in short, grow up, and lighten up.

in short, grow up

I asked you to explain your statement about immaturity before, and you didn't, so I'm beginning to think you're trolling. I can't see any signs of immaturity by myself or anyone else who has posted in this thread, it just boggles the mind, like your relation of sour grapes to an 'attack', and doesn't have anything to do with the thread at hand.

The issue is whether or not the pic Rizzla posted is NSFW, and making vague statements about maturity or inexplicably telling people to grow up shouldn't come into it. Are you trying to sabotage this thread to spite the moderators? Because I cannot see how some of your comments are relevant at all. So would you perhaps consider adding something of value to this thread?

Zuroph-if you have a problem with whats allowed on that thread and what isn't,go google search some fap pics for yourself. Or even better,start your own site. I don't know how to make this any simpler for you-but its mod discretion,and the mod felt that it was too dodge and got rid of it. Ok? Ok. In reply to 6th,personally,if it was me,i'd delete it even if it was in link form,and pm/message the user that i did it,and i was going to ask the other mods what they think. Personally, i don't think i'm great for modding that thread in particular,and doom,kharn,orestes and watna have been doing a great job. I give my opinion on it,and say if i remove something,because i feel my personal judgement wouldn't be as good as theirs on that thread. I could be too heavy handed or too lenient in some cases. I'm only (semi) human. In this case the user got a slap on the wrist,and then,started reporting posts that before the slap,he didn't have a problem with,hence he's getting these responses. It stinks of a kid getting in trouble and then trying to bring people down with him tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

rizzla wrote: »
    Apparently NSFW, posting this this (NSFW) pic.

That's not scene, emo or goth! It's a girl sitting on the loo! :confused:

• Advertisement

MizzLolly wrote: »
    That's not scene, emo or goth! It's a girl sitting on the loo! :confused:

What puzzles me is the fact that this wasn't the pic posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

I've looked at the picture and it is indeed disturbing....notice there is no toilet roll. :eek: ALSO what is she doing with the mag and her finger. This is disturbing and I can't stop thinking about it.

I asked you to explain your statement about immaturity before, and you didn't, so I'm beginning to think you're trolling. I can't see any signs of immaturity by myself or anyone else who has posted in this thread, it just boggles the mind, like your relation of sour grapes to an 'attack', and doesn't have anything to do with the thread at hand.

The issue is whether or not the pic Rizzla posted is NSFW, and making vague statements about maturity or inexplicably telling people to grow up shouldn't come into it. Are you trying to sabotage this thread to spite the moderators? Because I cannot see how some of your comments are relevant at all. So would you perhaps consider adding something of value to this thread?
    you quoted the last line form my post, not the long paragraph about why i thought the image wasnt nsfw. The immaturity was in regards to telling the poster to stop munching on sour grapes, rather than address his concerns. At least sDoom had the courtesy to do so, which should be considered part of the duties of being a mod.
    Nerin wrote: »
    Zuroph-if you have a problem with whats allowed on that thread and what isn't,go google search some fap pics for yourself. Or even better,start your own site. I don't know how to make this any simpler for you-but its mod discretion,and the mod felt that it was too dodge and got rid of it.
    ^^immaturity. come see the immaturity. To tell me to google some fap pics is an insult, and i shall be reporting the post. I was not aware of the thread before the complaint, and are you suggesting its a "fap" thread? keep your masturbation comments to yourself. how about next you comment on my sexuality, or discuss the obesity of "YORE MA!".

Feedback is for questioning Mod's discretion, and this is what the OP did. And several members have agreed with him. "mod discretion" is not a golden ticket to end every argument, otherwise there would be no need for a feedback section. mods are only human too, and as is only too obvious from reading back through the archives here, make plenty of mistakes and bad calls themselves.

heaven forbid, theres even more skin on show there! :pac:

you quoted the last line form my post, not the long paragraph about why i thought the image wasnt nsfw.
    That's because I wasn't replying to the paragraph about why you thought the image wasn't nsfw. I replied to the part I quoted, because I take issue with it, and feel it's an aside to the thread, as well as the whole idea of 'sour grapes' being an attack. I don't take issue with your opinion of the imagine, and would actually argree with you on that part.
    The immaturity was in regards to telling the poster to stop munching on sour grapes, rather than address his concerns. At least sDoom had the courtesy to do so, which should be considered part of the duties of being a mod.
    But it is addressng his concerns. He's bitter over an infraction, and is trying to drag me down too because of it. It's sour grapes. So is this to say that any address that isn't to the satisfaction of yourself is immature?

And quite frankly, I don't know what you expect me to address, aside from what I already have. I'm not a mod on the Nocturnal Forum, I have no say in what is or is not allowed there, and I have had no part in the infraction that Rizzla recieved. Yet I've been dragged into this because the user feels bitter over an infraction, and thinks I deserve one too, so I'm here as an aggrieved party.

Now, my original response is completely on the level. The infraction is minor, and if it would placate the situation (seeing as you find the term sour grapes offensive, placate the situation would be a more apt description), I'd accept an infraction.

So, can we put this immaturity to bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

It is not an issue of showing skin - it's an issue of the activity being portrayed. It's a matter of taste and a subjective issue. It'd offend some people, it won't offend others. The moderator chose to keep a high standard. People expect to that there may be scantily clad people when they click on the thread; they don't expect to see people sitting on a toilet.
    So far, from a horny male perspective: the thread disappoints. From a moderating perspective: WTF is the thread doing there to begin with? And what the hell am I doing staring at some non-particularly-emo-or-goth-woman sitting on a toilet?!
    It's an infraction, not a ban. It's a slap on the wrist to ensure the thread doesn't go a dodgy path.

For what it's worth, comparing it to that Kandoo advert was a bad idea; that's just a creepy advert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Hahaha that one is a nice one! ;)
    heaven forbid, theres even more skin on show there! :pac:

At least it fits into the thread, she looks more ''scene''/goth/emo (whatever!) than the 'toilet' pic! :)

Well, for what it's worth, I remember seeing a pic in there that did bother me (self harming pics) and before I even had the chance to say anymore on it, the nocturnal mods had removed it. I think they've been controlling it well.

.o/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

At the risk or repeating myself:
    Don't really understand why people start Feedback threads about infractions at the best of times, anyway, unless they're totally and crazily off the planet ... they're about the equivalent of Father Ted going "careful now!" as far as I can see, unless you intend to gather up a rucksack full of them.

Feedback is for questioning Mod's discretion, and this is what the OP did. And several members have agreed with him. "mod discretion" is not a golden ticket to end every argument, otherwise there would be no need for a feedback section.
    Feedback is for feedback, and discussion, and yes, that may include agreeing or disagreeing with a mod's actions, no worries, but it's meant to be a hell of a lot broader than that.

As a matter of interest, zuroph, have you ever actually made a post agreeing with a mod's decision? Can you link us to an example?

This is yet another Fb storm in a teaspoon tbh. The worst possible interpretation that could be put on the situation is that the mods of a relatively new forum with a high percentage of younger users are being a bit overly cautious, and have handed the OP a minor warning (infraction) as a result.

Well, whoop-de-doo, someone call in the US marines, I can feel my civil liberties disappearing into the ether as I type! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have made a rather big shouty announcement in that thread. I really hope it helps to clear up any future confusion.

At the risk or repeating myself:

As a matter of interest, zuroph, have you ever actually made a post agreeing with a mod's decision? Can you link us to an example?

yes, i have, but if im to trawl back through several hundred post for them then no ta.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I havent looked at the pic cos im in work but from the description its not suitable for the work place. One man's meat and all that.

makes you wonder if people post stuff to contribute or just to see how far they can push things. Am given the nature of some of the comments it would seem to be the latter. (i.e. "his pic is much worse than mine" etc etc)

Then again im pretty grumpy today so tomorrow i might think its hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The tread title "Goth/ Emo / Scene / Harajuku picture thread" kinda gives it away that the whole thread will be NSFW :D

If I was watching pics like this where my boss could see me she'd probably not be too happy.
    girl-4.jpg

This is why we can't have nice things... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

faceman wrote: »
    I havent looked at the pic cos im in work but from the description its not suitable for the work place. One man's meat and all that.

You must have read the wrong description. It's just a chick sitting on the porcelain throne.

Agree with the mods here. The rules were clearly set out and you posted something near the line. Then you moan about a small infraction. It's happened to me before a few times by saying things that don't comply with certain forum's charters. Did I moan? No. Take it on the chin for Christ sake.

Life suck, get a helmet.

Advertisement