Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors seek an increase of 2Euro on Cigarettes!!!

Options

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Wazdakka wrote: »
    Or, You know...
    Willpower :confused:

Ladies & Gentlemen, I present to you the next Alan Carr.

/puts on Wizard's robe & hat.

Dammit, why did I put all my points in Charisma and Intelligence

/removes wizards robe & hat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

No, this should never be allowed to happen. The CPI is meant to be representative of what the average person actually buys, and the average person does indeed buy a certain amount of cigarettes.

Not this average person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

There's a good reason why docs are asking for increased taxes on cigarettes.

It works

Why else do people think docs would want to increase taxes??

Every study I've ever read on the subject has shown smoking rates decreasing with increased taxation.

I makes current smokers quit, and stops kids taking it up.

In fact, there was a paper from the centre for disease control in the states, which showed a 4% reduction in smoking with every 10% increase in taxation.

That figure may not hold true today. I don't know. But the principle certainly does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Every study I've ever read on the subject has shown smoking rates decreasing with increased taxation.
    ..because they are taking the raw data from legit cigarette sales, rather than actual consumption.

There is a price tipping-point that when reached makes the smuggling of tobacco becomes a very lucrative criminal activity, especially in poorer areas. I've spent a bit of time in the North East of England and you'd be hard pressed to find any smoker there buying their 'tabs' from a newsagent, etc.

Just remember, we smokers are the thin red-line holding society back from persecuting the porkies and those who spend unhealthy amounts of time on the Interweb. You've been warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

No please don't.

For students like me the price is already high enough and they have just gone up by 10cent.Why call for a €2 hike in price,thats crazy.

I say bring back the 10 box,so much handier for when you are finacially strapped for cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Add this to the list of reasons i don't like doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

tabacco products should be prescription only and banned from general sale

anyone who is an addict gets them from the chemist(like methadone) untill the give up or die

i am a smoker

..because they are taking the raw data from legit cigarette sales, rather than actual consumption.

Not true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Not true

Then are they guessing?
    or routing through all the bins?

cause how else are they can they tell how many illigal cigs are floating around?
    I'm sure customs officials may want to hire a few of these boys if theyre managing it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Nerin wrote: »
    Add this to the list of reasons i don't like doctors.

yeah, it's really hard to like people who've dedicated their lives to fighting disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

yeah, it's really hard to like people who've dedicated their lives to fighting disease.

pretty much

Wazdakka wrote: »
    Then are they guessing?
    or routing through all the bins?

cause how else are they can they tell how many illigal cigs are floating around?
    I'm sure customs officials may want to hire a few of these boys if theyre managing it..

anonymous questionnaire studies. Just asking people how many they smoke a day. Not where they get them.

LOL no-one follows thousands of people round all day watching them buying their smokes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

They also want to put extra tax on spirits. why?

They're doctors. surely they know that highly purified spirits (such as vodka) are far healthier than beer, wine, cider ect. They should have lower tax if anything. People adjust their drinking accordingly, i don't really think people drink more when they're on vodka mixed down, as opposed to beer.

anyway back to cigarettes, Seems we're getting worse every day. I already have a friend who gets all his cigarettes illegally from eastern europe, i've a feeling if this goes ahead i'll suddenly have a lot more!

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Why are doctors selling cigarettes?:confused::D

Don't they know they're bad for your health.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

vinylmesh wrote: »
    They also want to put extra tax on spirits. why?

Cos they are scaring all the children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Fionnanc

"This crap really gets on my tits..

First of all who the bloody hell are these doctors to "demand" an increase on any tax?
    Let alone Alcohol and cigarettes..

What is the idea here? Get everybody in the country to quit smoking?
    I guarantee you that the Irish government does not want that. The ammount of cash they'd loose would be daft.

Have they not figured it out yet?
    You can charge whatever you want for them, ppl will either pay it or import them illigally.
    You can make the warning on the pack even bigger, people will choose to ignore it.
    You can put pictures of diseased lungs on the pack, people will buy cigarette cases.
    You can stop people smoking indoors, the entire vibe of going out in dublin changes and now we have a massive beergarden culture. I actually have friends who have started smoking since the ban just to be outside with everybody else.

It's a drug, People are addicted. They know the risks and choose to smoke anyway. It's not illegal, the smoking ban has made removed the second hand smoke damage to other people argument.

Leave smokers alone, bugger off with the 2 Euro, and let them choose to risk the cancer themselves instead of trying to bloody babysit them..."

Here Here. Give people the information not advocate a price increase. BTW IMO is my trade union and disappointed that they waste their time with these submissions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

anonymous questionnaire studies. Just asking people how many they smoke a day. Not where they get them.

Ah come on Tallaght! You are way to smart to fall into that trap. Anonymous questionaire studies are the cheap whores of the statistical world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I don't understand why doctors should have any input into taxes.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Dragan wrote: »
    Ah come on Tallaght! You are way to smart to fall into that trap. Anonymous questionaire studies are the cheap whores of the statistical world.

Over 97% of these surveys are completely made up numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Over 97% of these surveys are completely made up numbers

As proved by Anonymous questionaire analysis..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I'd say most smokers would continue the way they are or move to rolling tobacco

Thoguh I do believe it will stop young people taking up cigarettes. Which may benefit society in general over next few decades

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I'd say most smokers would continue the way they are or move to rolling tobacco

Thoguh I do believe it will stop young people taking up cigarettes. Which may benefit society in general over next few decades

When kids smoke their first few cigarettes they're not worried about price, coz they don't think they'll end up hooked.

Nicotine directly interferes with your brains reward system.When you inhale a chemical that interferes with your brain's reward system the come-up is almost immediate leading to a very stong chance of addiction.

From a purely addictiveness point of view, smoking tobacco is the same as smoking crack. (the strenght of the drug has little to do with the addictiveness, it's actually the speed of the come-up that's the main factor.)

Most "social smokers" i know are actually not inhaling properly, so the nicotine isn't reaching their brains. That's why they're not becoming addicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

micmclo wrote: »
    All this will do to drive the demand in black market cigarettes.

They showed this on Primetime a few months back.
    People are coming from Riga with thousands of cigarettes and claim they are for “personal use”, lol
    There are Eastern Europeans shops on Talbot St, Dublin where they got a reporter to buy these. Of course Irish people do the same also, dare I say the IRA used to do this

Customs are no fools and they seize the cigarettes at the airport and ports. but they can’t stop everyone.

There will come a time when the price set by the government is so high, they’ll end up getting less tax revenue but no difference in people smoking as a trip abroad to buy thousands of cigarettes will pay for itself. A fairly good chance you won't be caught.
    People aren’t being prosecuted for this and people seem to accept it and getting one over the taxman!
    kids and well the people i know in college wouldnt get them illegally... jus effort. i think anyway.

i say make it a square tenner.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Here we go. More fake internet doctors giving us fake internet doctors a bad name!
    Anyone wann gro longgg snake?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The harder you make something to get, the less people will want it. Yess, das reight.

...and more pensioners living longer benefits society how?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I guess the aim of these price increases isn't really to stop adults (because they would just deal with the extra 2 euro) from smoking but it might make it harder for kids to start. I know myself when I was a teenager (which isn't too long ago mind) I wouldn't really have been able to spend the guts of a tenner on a packet of smokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

2 euro?
    Doc's, you would have gotten my vote at 10 euro..aim big...charge the addicts so much that non smokers are tax exempt,.

Hell pay me to regulate these smelly smokers and pay me with their tax money !!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Horrible idea, not a smoker but even I know that increasing the price does nothing about making people quit just gets them irritable even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

bobcar61 wrote: »
    No please don't.

For students like me the price is already high enough and they have just gone up by 10cent.Why call for a €2 hike in price,thats crazy.

I say bring back the 10 box,so much handier for when you are finacially strapped for cash.

This is exactly why I want them to go to a tenner a packet. I'm in my early twenties, everybody in my age group knows that smoking is one of the stupidest things you can do. From a young age all I heard from friends was, 'I'll never smoke, its stupid'. Then of course they start drinking and they have the occasional 'social smoke', now some are completely hooked and others can't drink without them and are well on their way to been hooked. Don't give me this 'its their problem if they get cancer(or whatever other crap you get from them)', if my friends or girlfriend is sick because of them it affects me. I literally despair at smokers my age, I mean we have no excuses like our parents had. They smell sick, f*ck you up on the outside and inside long term and don't seem to have any affect on people apart from 'relaxing' them, bullsh*t. I have more respect for people who smoke hash tbh, at least it has an effect on them.

2 euro may not stop smokers already addicted but at least it will rape their wallet and pay for their hospital beds. It will however certaintly have an effect on younger 'social smokers'. Your not gonna hit the black market if your starting smoking, it usually starts by scabbing one of a mate who wont be as quick to dispense with one if its hitting their pocket. It will mean less smokes going round and less social smokers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, that kind of thinking worked wonders with kids and other illegal drugs.

Advertisement