Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dropped a lid

• 22-09-2008 9:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭

hello everyone, my brother (not me, seriously) just rang from college in a panic cause he had left his helmet on the seat of the moped while he routed about in his bag, surprise surprise it fell off from the moped seat to the concrete ground. He was asking should he replace it, I was thinking yes (it landed on the back of the helmet) but i was looking on the internet and i couldn't get a clear opinion or decision. So I am asking your opinions and what most of you would do, i will probably end up trying to get him to buy a new one

sorry if this question is asked constantly but i am newish to this forum and i did try searching but i couldn't find a similar topic, cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭finto

Is there any visable cracks on it, where it fell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

there is a scratch like a braze but no dent or crack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Immediately replace your helmet if it has suffered an impact. Your helmet is only designed for ONE impact. An impact may fracture the outer shell or compress the impact absorbing liner. You may not be able to detect this damage. Any impact in a crash or a drop from as low as 4 feet is enough to damage your helmet.

Even if your helmet has not been damaged, it needs to be replaced every 3 to 5 years depending on how much you use it. Over time, UV rays and adhesive and component aging will damage your helmet. Wearing a damaged helmet may increase your risk of serious injury or death in an accident. **

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

what i expected to hear, thanks biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Better safe than sorry when it comes to helmets... Get a new one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

You could possibly send it back to the maker for them to inspect it and whatnot but for the hassle you're probably better off gettign a new one.

Actually on this topic...what's a good, reasonably priced helmet?

What about open and closed face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

hard to get an impartial idea on the time to replace helmets - the link biko posted is from a helmet manufacturer like... it'd be good to get some idea from, say a racer, as I know of a couple that get a few spills out of each lid - just to see their opinions on it

RE open face lids
    remember seeing statistics on the impacts on helmets - and it put me off ever considering a lid without a chin bar, and made me think why the heck they even make them :o so it must have been considerably high

if you've money for the reconstructive surgery, by all means go for it though ;p

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I agree that any impact like you describe should mean changing the lid. Problem is, many helmets are designed to absorb the impact internally, you may not be able to see the full extent of cracking and damage it has taken.

Asking what is a good lid will get you a litany of differing opinion, everyone has their own favourites. Look for at least EC2205 on the chin strap. A gold ACU sticker used also be an indicator of a good lid, but seeing as they are put on everything now, its lost its benefit. Pay as much as you can afford, and make sure it fits correctly. Never buy a secondhand lid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Probably just better off replacing it to be on the safe side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If its an expensive lid like an Arai , Showie or a similar you can get them x_rayed for damage. If its a cheapo just replace it. Smash the old one with a sledge just in case someone in the family might be tempted to use it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Smash the old one with a sledge

thats sounds fun :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

paulieeye wrote: »
    thats sounds fun :pac: :pac:

Myself and my missus tried this with my old Laser helmet. You'd think it would be easy, but we barely dented it :eek:

The hammer just kept bouncing off and I hurt my shoulder in the process :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

KTRIC wrote: »
    Myself and my missus tried this with my old Laser helmet. You'd think it would be easy, but we barely dented it :eek:

The hammer just kept bouncing off and I hurt my shoulder in the process :mad:
    Far easier to chuck off the visor and snip the chin strap off.

Course, you might still get a twit who would use it.

afaik the MCI medical team are looking for old helmets to use in training (or at least they where)

link -> http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=53817

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I used to spend a fortune on helmuts but nowadays some of the cheaper helmets offer the same protection of some of the more expensive brands. I paid less than €200 for my current lid, having paid €500 for my previous one. both offer same protection!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,453 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

wahlrab wrote: »
    surprise surprise it fell off from the moped seat to the concrete ground. He was asking should he replace it

Personally I think it would be OTT to replace the helmet after that. There is very little energy in dropping an empty lid a metre or so (as opposed to it thwacking the road with the weight of your head inside it)

Of course, helmet manufacturers are going to say you should, more $$$$ for them. As for sending it off to be x-rayed, is anyone willing to bet they don't recommend that 100% of them be replaced? :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »

Of course, helmet manufacturers are going to say you should, more $$$$ for them. As for sending it off to be x-rayed, is anyone willing to bet they don't recommend that 100% of them be replaced? :rolleyes:

ha, and I'm sure they'll charge you for the privilege too :p

Advertisement