Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red mini van rager! RANT warning.

Options
  • 22-09-2008 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

How are we all on this fine morn?

Cycling(duh!) into work today on Cuffe st. coming from the Kevins st. end when a fella, coming the opposite way, in a mini van pulls a (illegal)u-turn accross the median, into stopped traffic, has a massive screaming match with a guy trying to (legally) get onto the road and then blocks my path too. As i'm proceeding around him on his right side, to get into the cycle land( which is in the middle of the two lanes) he pulls into the cycle lane! I had barely enough room to pass. So on my way past I say with a hint of surprise "Oh, so you're a COMPLETE [EMAIL="tw@t"]tw@t[/EMAIL] then!" and speed on my merry way(I like my job).

Well...on the side of Stephens green he roars up beside me and screams "WHAT THE F*&K DID YOU CALL ME?"

I shout "A COMPLETE [EMAIL="TW@T"]TW@T[/EMAIL]"

He pulls in infront of me, trying but failing to sandwich me into the kerb. Then he gets out screaming for a fight but he failed to knock me off the bike so i was still rolling and left him holding his D!*k on the path while I laughed my head off!

Funny thing though, around the corner at the Baggot st. corner of the green, he came in for seconds! Exact same scene. He pulls in, hops out and I cycle away laughing!

Am I cruel to find this hilareous? Did I deserve a thump from a fat van driver for calling him names? Did I spell hilareous right? Will I be to blame if the fella has a stroke?

Thanks for reading:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Did you get his licence plate? If so, phone it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Morgan wrote: »
    Did you get his licence plate? If so, phone it in.

Too busy avoiding him then laughing. I still can't believe he actualy wanted a scrap! And he expected me to stop and give him one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

'68 wrote:
    Too busy avoiding him then laughing. I still can't believe he actualy wanted a scrap! And he expected me to stop and give him one!

If you see him again call it in. If he was that determined this morning he might be just as determined if he spots you again.

On the down side, this guy will do something even more stupid the next time he thinks a cyclist is in his way.

Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

'68 wrote:
    Unfortunately he will not learn until confronted by the Gardai. Please try to get the license plate next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

'68 wrote:
    Did I spell hilareous right?

Hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

It's the kind of situation I have my lock in my back pocket for.... when you brandish that, a lot of drivers stay in their car :)

Seriously though, it's the kind of thing that should be reported, god knows what he could do to another cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

After the first pull in incident I was keeping my eyes open for a copper but there's never one when you need one is there? I'd recognise the git in a flash though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Its amazing the things some people will do in a car. If you bumped into someone on the street you wouldn't go chasing after them, trying to push them over while screaming abuse. I think some people just aren't capable of driving in traffic. Maybe we should petition for "Asshole" plates to be issued to drivers who get done for these road rage offences. That way, when you see a van with red and white "Asshole" plates (front and rear of course, maybe side too!) you know to steer clear of them.

Definitely should have reported him. Next time take a handy detour past your nearest garda station and see if he calms down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Its amazing the things some people will do in a car. If you bumped into someone on the street you wouldn't go chasing after them, trying to push them over while screaming abuse.

You mean I should be doing that???? Oh dear.... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Asshole plates.
    Smahing idea.

Good man DirkVoodoo. Let me know when you do something about it - you'll have my full support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Jaysus, sounds like a scary b@stard! I usually point out the mistake a drivers made rather than insult them (Not that I'm giving out!). Hopefully nobody takes it as personally as this guy obviously did!

Voila! I will see you all on Dragon's Den. I would like to thank my assistant, Gustav, for bringing his red van.

AssholeRedVan.jpg

Note: No assholes were hurt during the making of this image, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Voila! I will see you all on Dragon's Den. I would like to thank my assistant, Gustav, for bringing his red van.

AssholeRedVan.jpg

Note: No assholes were hurt during the making of this image, unfortunately.

Quiet morning in work, eh Dirk? Nice job though.

work? What is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

"Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do." (I.e Mere mortals going up Kippure in pursuit of Blorg.) "Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do." (I.e. Blorg dancing up Kippure.)

Mark Twain (with some bits from me).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Must be van driver week. I had a similar run in. I was coming off cycle lane on path and straight onto cycle lane on road. The road is narrow enough at that point anyway and a lot of drivers seem to drive onto the cycle lane to skip driving over speed bumps. so anyway Van driver blows the horn at me as he passes and I angrily mouth to his passenger mirror and point down at the cycle lane I'm in. He pulls over straight away and as I pass, he starts shouting something which I can't quite make out but I simply point again to the path and shout back to get off the effing cycle lane and off I continue.

Advertisement