Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

93 320i

Options
  • 22-09-2008 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=176629069

Considering this at the moment, only looking for about 1500 euros and I want a runaround for the next few monthes...has service history from a local bmw garage and has been looked after by a mature owner since 70Ks when it was imported from Japan. Any BMW experts care to offer their thoughts on specifics to look after with this age 320i? I've driven a 325 but never a 320 before is it going to dissapoint bigtime?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Looks nice- an all-time classic BMW, IMO. Buy it. That's what I call a sensible cheap runabout. I had a '92 325i saloon and it was the business- I should have kept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah its nice looking. I'd love a 323 or 325 but can't find any at the moment. Manual cars are also very rare in New Zealand sadly. It will be mainly staying home during the week and used for weekend motorway and cross country trips. The roads here are amazing too and I've been itching for some BMW handling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

is it a 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder? the 6 cylinder 320i over here are very heavy on juice and arent very fast ,the 325i is probably better on juice and certainly isnt any worse plus a bit more faster.

Think its a 4 cylinder...slow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Don't worry, BMW weren't so silly back then and thus fitted the 320i with a proper straight 6 rather than a character free, boring old 4 pot like they have done with the E90.

• Advertisement

Just took it for a spin, felt really nice and solid to drive, just like the newer bmws i've driven. Couldnt really open it up as it was in town and didnt have a chance to take it on the motorway. Sport mode felt quite pokey in higher revs, didnt have much low end torque is that normal? I've only driven a 00 330 and a 03 550 before this so not sure what to expect :)

All in all its in good nick for its age, needs a good valet though. One dent on the passenger door, couldnt find any other marks or scratches and didnt see any rust or misalignment. BMW badge on the bonnet was mostly worn but im sure what could be replaced too. Engine bay was very clean. Interior door panel was loose and a bit rough but i could change that im sure. The trip computer thing didnt come on but I wasnt sure how to use it, should it always be doing something?

I'm thinking about getting it AA inspected then if that's okay just going for it. He'll take 3000 dollars which is only about 1500 euro. I'd like to hold out for a 325 or 328 but they're a lot more expensive and rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

pclancy wrote: »
    Just took it for a spin, felt really nice and solid to drive, just like the newer bmws i've driven. Couldnt really open it up as it was in town and didnt have a chance to take it on the motorway. Sport mode felt quite pokey in higher revs, didnt have much low end torque is that normal? I've only driven a 00 330 and a 03 550 before this so not sure what to expect :)

All in all its in good nick for its age, needs a good valet though. One dent on the passenger door, couldnt find any other marks or scratches and didnt see any rust or misalignment. BMW badge on the bonnet was mostly worn but im sure what could be replaced too. Engine bay was very clean. Interior door panel was loose and a bit rough but i could change that im sure. The trip computer thing didnt come on but I wasnt sure how to use it, should it always be doing something?

I'm thinking about getting it AA inspected then if that's okay just going for it. He'll take 3000 dollars which is only about 1500 euro. I'd like to hold out for a 325 or 328 but they're a lot more expensive and rare.

Always be wary of clean engine bays. They can be hidding a lot of stuff if they clean the engine bay and don't bother with a valet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

I had a joy to drive similiar car, 2 litre manual tough,

Really nice car but heavy with petrol, I drove one week and maybe 300 miles and petrol consumption was about 21 mpg / 13.5l/100km.

Other than that I did like the car alot, really drivers car.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Del2005 wrote: »
    Always be wary of clean engine bays. They can be hidding a lot of stuff if they clean the engine bay and don't bother with a valet.
    The AA check is thorough enough to find anything though!

Argh still havent decided. Looking at a slighly newer but higher K one now, another 320 but with leather and sunroof etc, full service history, working aircon, working OBC etc and other extras.

its got 10,000 ks more but a service history i can see and more kit...gunna test it tomorrow. He said he'd let it got for $3900 which is about 1800 euros.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=172678433

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Second one looks the better buy, imo.

Not your ornery onager

Delighted with it, got it for just under 2000 euro. Took it for a 600k spin at the weekend up the north island. New Zealand's roads are perfect for bmws :) pure pleasure! Very little trafic and great scenery with lots of nice curves and a few mountain passes. Got about 590K out of one tank which isnt bad considering the terrain. Great overtaking power, low end tourque is a bit poor but once its above 2-3000 it just purs and pulls away nicely.

2894766906_8313409206.jpg

Insurance was 450 dollars fully comp :) about 211 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

pclancy wrote: »
    Think its a 4 cylinder...slow?

93" 320i is a 6 bangers, 2l, 150HP
    That should be enough for a daily driver.

Make sure cooling system has been maintained properly too along other things.

Yeah its pretty pokey allright. 325 or 330 will be my next buy :)

The cooling system was inspected and its had a compression test done recently so all appears well touch wood. The screen on the check computer isnt working but i've found some tips online on how to replace the bulbs thats the only issue I can find with it right now.

Advertisement