Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any useful phrases for shopping in Japan ?

Options
  • 22-09-2008 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm heading to Japan in a couple of weeks (mainly Tokyo & Kyoto). I'm obviously going to visit Akihabara, so I'm wondering is there a nice list of useful phrases anywhere ? i.e. how much is this etc ?

I've only managed to source this so far:

" Waribiki wa arimasu ka " Any discount :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

To be honest, any time I've seen someone try to use a phrase they learned specifically for one purpose, they subsequently don't understand a word of the answer!

Not much help, I know, sorry....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Agree with above poster. You'd be better off just learning, "Eigo o hanashimasu ka?" (Do you speak English?)

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

You should ask for "export models' for most electronics to make sure the display language is not just Japanese. Also some domestic Jap stuff only accepts 100-110vts so you'd need a transformer when you get home. And in Akiba, wherever they sell export models, you're pretty sure to find English-speaking staff.

And don't forget your foreign passport when shopping - you'll save the 5% VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

thanks folks - I've picked up a few phrases online, and i know a little bit from a Japanese course I did before. =) can't wait to get over there !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

ikura desu ka? - how much is it?
    kore ga eigo dekimasu ka? - can this do English?
    kite mite mo ii desu ka? - is it OK to try this on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Most shops in Akihabara have English speakers. Many have French, Russian, Chinese, Portuguese, Tagalog..... It's probably the most international part of Tokyo!

Sumimasen is the most useful word you'll ever meet. It works for excuse me, sorry, apologetic-I'm-a-dumb-foreigner-please, apologetic-I'm-a-dumb-foreigner-thank you...

Kore o kudasai is a polite way to say "gimme this". Just point at what you want.

Advertisement