Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 147 v Fiat Panda 100hp

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

Apparently Motorpoint are offering a finance deal on the pre-reg 08 147 Collezione.

RRP of €22k
    No deposit
    €399 a month over 5 years (8.2% APR)
    Final payment of €3k.

That seems like a great deal to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Thats seems line a lousy deal to me, nearly €27,000 for a car that will be almost worthless after the finance is over. No-one will want that dirty 1.6 (194g Co2) in 5 years time, by which time the Co2 bands will a have changed dramatically. The 147 only makes sense if bought well below list.

Thats seems line a lousy deal to me, nearly €27,000 for a car that will be almost worthless after the finance is over. No-one will want that dirty 1.6 (194g Co2) in 5 years time, by which time the Co2 bands will a have changed dramatically. The 147 only makes sense if bought well below list.

Wow - so does that make it band F? Didn't know that - ouch. Certainly puts a different slant on things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

The 1.6 147's are all pre-reg on the old system, they had to pre-reg as no-one would buy them post July as they are so dirty. My point was, if the tax systems changes down the line cars like this will suffer badly.

The 1.6 147's are all pre-reg on the old system, they had to pre-reg as no-one would buy them post July as they are so dirty. My point was, if the tax systems changes down the line cars like this will suffer badly.

It's a fair point. I certainly wouldn't buy a 5 year old 1.6 if it happened to be in the second highest tax bracket, and if I did decide to buy it then I'd want to get it for next to nothing.

€1k month for road tax is a bit hard to swallow too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,943 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It won't be 1000 (now, at least) - it'll be registered on the old system so it'll be about half that

MYOB wrote: »
    It won't be 1000 (now, at least) - it'll be registered on the old system so it'll be about half that

Yeah, it mentioned that it's €391 for the first year, which is something at least.

Had a test drive of the Panda 100hp and it's a brilliant little car. Brilliant fun to drive, and it's suprisingly well put together. I'm going to go for that over the Alfa, in the end the VRT issue was the deciding factor.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

spav wrote: »
    Bit of a strange comparison I know, but I've been looking around for a an affordable (€17k appx), sporty, relatively practical hatchback for a while now and I think I've settled on these two.

I'd either be looking for a brand new Panda or a second hand, very low mile 147 1.6. I really like the 147 but I'm slightly concerned that, since it's an old car that is going to be replaced next year, it'll suffer really badly with deprecation. There seems to be a lot of decent deals about however, saw a Lusso 2007 in a showroom over the weekend with 5k on the clock for €17k.

I really like the Panda, and think it's very good value. While I prefer the 147, I think the Panda might be the better buy long term.

Any comments would be appreciated.

HAHA...ha... you clearly need your head checked... alfas are ok but jesus... any more then a year you might aswell remove your right testical...

the panda suffers from poor build quality too so yes... screwed with either choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Best of luck OP with your choice, I'm sure you won't regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

S.I.R wrote: »
    HAHA...ha... you clearly need your head checked... alfas are ok but jesus... any more then a year you might aswell remove your right testical...

It's "testicle" :rolleyes:

If you want to troll, at least do it right ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,943 ✭✭✭✭L1011

S.I.R wrote: »
    the panda suffers from poor build quality too so yes... screwed with either choice.

Prove this.

You won't be able to, by the way. Stop lying about Fiat - you've already admitted on this forum that you just hate them, so you don't need to lie to be able to vindicate your position.

Panda is top ten in the JD Power survey, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

"Fwiw, despite my (madness) for changing cars at the drop of a hat, my best experience was on a new Cinquecento Sporting, in 1996. Yellow, of course. When I sold it at 3+ yrs old, I got more than the finance owed, and the car never gave any trouble. Historically, Fiat make good small-engined cars that, on average, even if you do fix them, are at least cheap and easy to fix......"

Big Cinquecento fan here also (Must have bought/sold/ran a dozen or more 'Centos) !But have to disagree in some respects ...I know quite a few bitter Cinquecento owners who got as good as nothing for their 2-4 year old cars ...depreciation was massive !Some of the Fiat Puntos which sold by the 1000s here gave nightmarish trouble with serious things like ECUs/cats etc
    Delighted youre going for the Panda ,it was Fiats first real Cento Sporting 'replacement' although I suppose it was more a half way house between a Cinq Sporting and a Punto GT.Obviously the new 500 particularly the forthcoming Abarths will be brill.
    There was a guy called CJ(?) being v ignorant to someone called Grainne ...She was right, Alfas of the 156 era were VERY unreliable with major work common at 40k including major engine components or the whole engine !Personally I never liked the 147 and think you would be maaaaaaaaaad to consider spending 17k on it esp as its from the same bloodline as the 156.(and gonna cost a grand a year for tax!!!???)You could probably pick up a used 147 for 2/3k if not dozens of them (any not broken left?)(yeah 2,600 on Carzone...imagine he will have to take one thousand and something...)Its not like these will be a classic investment they are the son of the 145/146 for Gods sake ,one of the ugliest cars ever!)
    This guy was selling this but stuck on his asking price as of a month ago...

http://www.octane.ie/ads/car.php?id=2744

Some depreciation !Nice car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Smartish looking car BUT:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Alfa-Romeo/147/DUCATI-LIMITED/1180551/

I defy anybody to find a faster way to loose 25 grand !!!(I assumed it was a GTA at that money -OUCH!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Cj Mac

ytareh wrote: »
    "
    There was a guy called CJ(?) being v ignorant to someone called Grainne ...She was right, Alfas of the 156 era were VERY unreliable with major work common at 40k including major engine components or the whole engine

It seems you are as ignorant as Grainne, Why comment on something you know little about it, a timing belt change is not an engine replacement ?

Also, the op will not be paying €1000 road tax pa if he buys a car registered before 1st July !

P.s Are you grainne in disguise ? you seem to be v concerned about her feelings?
    I just don't like people pedalling sterotypical faleshoods with any personal experience.

Advertisement